Rosegreen

Dave Rice hired as Head Coach.

On 4/16/2024 at 2:55 PM, agswin said:

There is a long and interesting history at UNLV with the BB program.

Keep in mind UNLV was not a squad from an upstart MWC level program.  They were a Big West program.  That is right. Big West.

And for a few years, they were at the very top of college basketball.

I recall during the Tark days walking in through the tunnels at the Thomas and Mack and seeing the lineup of UNLV player vehicles.  It was pretty fun.

Their flashy sports cars and SUV's could hardly match up to the old pickup trucks and beat up family sedans that most of the Aggies were driving at the time.

Draw your own conclusions as to whether everything was on the up and up.

Nah, they came from UCLA with cars, lol.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 12:08 PM, Rebels18 said:

Comment from Dave Rice. LoL the arrogance. He justified why I never liked him. I truly am an amazing judge of character 

What an astoundingly pathetic weenie.

Actually, Dweeby Dave, you turned a team that was nationally relevant (perennial NCAA team, just a few years removed from a Sweet 16) into a flaming pile of dog shit that couldn't even get invited to the CBI.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 4/18/2024 at 2:22 PM, masterfrog said:

I would have been willing to bet that it was purchased by his grandmama. 

You inparticular seem to have a lot of UNLV conspiracies without a single clue of what you're talking about.

On 4/21/2024 at 11:39 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

What an astoundingly pathetic weenie.

Actually, Dweeby Dave, you turned a team that was nationally relevant (perennial NCAA team, just a few years removed from a Sweet 16) into a flaming pile of dog shit that couldn't even get invited to the CBI.

You’re absolutely correct, but his point is still true.

You guys were a lot more nationally relevant with Rice as coach. I remember you beating #1 ranked North Carolina. Having Bennett as the top overall pick.

All his tournament teams lost in the first round, even after getting some good seeds. But I think he’s right. He had UNLV nationally relevant for 2-3 years.

But obviously things started trending downwards.

On 4/22/2024 at 9:56 AM, bigd said:

You’re absolutely correct, but his point is still true.

You guys were a lot more nationally relevant with Rice as coach. I remember you beating #1 ranked North Carolina. Having Bennett as the top overall pick.

All his tournament teams lost in the first round, even after getting some good seeds. But I think he’s right. He had UNLV nationally relevant for 2-3 years.

But obviously things started trending downwards.

I know, but it irks me he would make a comment passively insinuating he did a better job than Lon Kruger.  

for those who have forgotten:

Statistics overview
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
UNLV Runnin' Rebels (Mountain West Conference) (2011–2016)
2011–12 UNLV 26–9 9–5 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2012–13 UNLV 25–10 10–6 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2013–14 UNLV 20–13 10–8 T–3rd  
2014–15 UNLV 18–15 8–10 7th  
2015–16 UNLV 9–7* 0–3*    
UNLV: 98–54 (.645) 37–32 (.536)

*resigned on January 10, 2016

Total: 98–54 (.645)

Just a cursory glance at that record makes clear that Rice struggled to just win as many games as he lost in the MWC, finishing barely above .500 with a 37-32 career MWC record (.536), and this is when the MWC was far weaker than it is now.

He beat North Carolina (which Ricegreen loves to remind us all of as if it was akin to a Final 4 appearance) a few games into his career, and it was all progressively worse from there, as the chart clearly shows.

Hooray, he got some hotshot recruits who didn't listen to a word he said and turned the culture around into one of the most underachieving in the entire country.

It just irks me that he had the audacity to talk himself up and make a comment like that when, well, look above.  Talk about no accountability whatsoever.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 4/22/2024 at 2:49 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

I know, but it irks me he would make a comment passively insinuating he did a better job than Lon Kruger.  

for those who have forgotten:

Statistics overview
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
UNLV Runnin' Rebels (Mountain West Conference) (2011–2016)
2011–12 UNLV 26–9 9–5 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2012–13 UNLV 25–10 10–6 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2013–14 UNLV 20–13 10–8 T–3rd  
2014–15 UNLV 18–15 8–10 7th  
2015–16 UNLV 9–7* 0–3*    
UNLV: 98–54 (.645) 37–32 (.536)

*resigned on January 10, 2016

Total: 98–54 (.645)

Just a cursory glance at that record makes clear that Rice struggled to just win as many games as he lost in the MWC, finishing barely above .500 with a 37-32 career MWC record (.536), and this is when the MWC was far weaker than it is now.

He beat North Carolina (which Ricegreen loves to remind us all of as if it was akin to a Final 4 appearance) a few games into his career, and it was all progressively worse from there, as the chart clearly shows.

Hooray, he got some hotshot recruits who didn't listen to a word he said and turned the culture around into one of the most underachieving in the entire country.

It just irks me that he had the audacity to talk himself up and make a comment like that when, well, look above.  Talk about no accountability whatsoever.

I get it, and completely agree with everything you say. But the MW wasn't weak from 12-15. The league had 14 tournament bids and 6 top 25 finishes in that four year period. The 2012 & 2013 seasons were similar to the last two as far as league strength.

It was from 2016-2021 that the league really went through a dark period. That's why despite Menzies having a 20 win season, none of his teams were ever in the top 100. The MW was an awful one bid league. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 11:51 AM, Poorohman said:

You inparticular seem to have a lot of UNLV conspiracies without a single clue of what you're talking about.

You obviously never saw her in the Converse commercials.  That woman could ball.

• Haha 1