halfmanhalfbronco

What are your top voting issues? Nationally and locally.

On 2/15/2024 at 3:46 PM, UNLV2001 said:

The one thing I love about MWCboard, is we are all on the same page when it comes to wilderness conservation being an important issue, and keeping Public lands public,  

The American West is one special place and we all want to keep it that way.

It's nice to have the board on the same page on a thing.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2

On 2/15/2024 at 3:01 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I firmly believe this iteration of the GOP will not be sustainable.  People like to win elections.  Teams and shit.  

Because I care about my local politics, and how they impact what I love and love to do and what I want to preserve and what I would look to see progressed in myriad areas, Trumpism needs to be seen as a "losers" game.  Only way we get past it.

Let's Go Brandon!!!

You'd think republicans & the greater party would recognize that reality -- trump has cost the GOP races all over by having his nut job candidates win GOP primaries then lose in the general election when the voters just aren't in the Party of Stupid

Here in NV last cycle, there were six statewide races & everyone of the trumplicans lost while the more sane GOPer's won their races 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2024 at 3:04 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The one thing I love about MWCboard, is we are all on the same page when it comes to wilderness conservation being an important issue, and keeping Public lands public,  

It is nice to have a conference with schools mostly based in the inter-mountain west where ecological issues overlap the region & even the Cali schools have the Sierra's right up the road, especially Fresno St which is right outside of Yosemite & the Redwoods 

it's like we are the the Peak of Competition 

Mountain West - At The Peak - YouTube

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/15/2024 at 1:46 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nationally, right now for me #1 is maintaining global hegemonic power in cooperation with our allies, especially in Europe and the South Eastern Pacific.  Easy advantage Biden

After that it is maintaining the strength and preventing further erosions at the foundations of our key institutions.  Again, big advantage Biden.

Economy, crime, abortion rights, immigration and guns don't really do it for me.  I just don't see the winner materially making anything better or worse there.

Scientific funding and research especially in critical areas for national security, slight edge to Biden.  However I would score Trump surprisingly high here.  It's one of Biden's strong points as well.  

Locally.  The only thing I care about is fighting the radical right power consolidation in Idaho.  Things that are near and dear to me like wilderness conservation, sustainable growth, marijuana, can only be addressed in elections after the fact.  

freestar

What is going to drive you to the ballot box this year?

Pro Capital Punishment For Feral Cat Haters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

kat.jpg

On 2/15/2024 at 3:04 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Especially feral cats roaming freely on public land! 

kat.jpg

On 2/15/2024 at 5:09 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Pro Capital Punishment For Feral Cat Haters. 

Cool...then those who hate all cats are safe...

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

The big problem in Nevada from a taxation standpoint is: 

( I shall pontificate ) 

1 - NV has no state income tax, which is nice, but it also means NV has little in the way of revenue generation outside of sales taxes & fees 

2 - Rural NV is mining centric & has been since before statehood in 1864. Mining has a tendency to be a boom bust type of business, so that's why NV has a good number of Ghost towns & some are conisered "living Ghost Towns (Virginia City, Tonopah, Goldfield are 3 that come to mind) 

3 - Due to NV being mining boom & bust many rural towns in NV have literally not changed much from their 1860-1900 glory days - other than some asphalt & some electrical wiring, many of these town look like they did in 1880, 1900 1920 .....so it's almost impossible to get these rural enclaves to sign on to any tax increase legislation, they don't see the need & don't want to pay anything for those city slickers

4 - Because NV really only has two larger urban areas (Reno-Fallon-Carson) & Las Vegas metro, these few areas fund 90% of the state budget with Clark County providing 75% of the entire state budget.

5 - Because of a small legislative body, it only takes a few rural based legislators to down vote any taxation bill because NV has a 2/3'rds rule to pass a tax bill - So that leaves the urban areas to fund their own infrastructure - Clark County voters had to pass a local gas tax that helps fund roads in & around LV, which means gas prices in LV are artificially high because of the various added gas taxes.....same with sales taxes. Go to sparsely populated Lincoln County & the sales tax is 6.5% while in Clark it's 8.35% - That difference adds up on a $50,000 vehicle 

6 - I could go on  

• Like 3

On 2/15/2024 at 3:21 PM, UNLV2001 said:

The big problem in Nevada from a taxation standpoint is: 

( I shall pontificate ) 

1 - NV has no state income tax, which is nice, but it also means NV has little in the way of revenue generation outside of sales taxes & fees 

2 - Rural NV is mining centric & has been since before statehood in 1864. Mining has a tendency to be a boom bust type of business, so that's why NV has a good number of Ghost towns & some are conisered "living Ghost Towns (Virginia City, Tonopah, Goldfield are 3 that come to mind) 

3 - Due to NV being mining boom & bust many rural towns in NV have literally not changed much from their 1860-1900 glory days - other than some asphalt & some electrical wiring, many of these town look like they did in 1880, 1900 1920 .....so it's almost impossible to get these rural enclaves to sign on to any tax increase legislation, they don't see the need & don't want to pay anything for those city slickers

4 - Because NV really only has two larger urban areas (Reno-Fallon-Carson) & Las Vegas metro, these few areas fund 90% of the state budget with Clark County providing 75% of the entire state budget.

5 - Because of a small legislative body, it only takes a few rural based legislators to down vote any taxation bill because NV has a 2/3'rds rule to pass a tax bill - So that leaves the urban areas to fund their own infrastructure - Clark County voters had to pass a local gas tax that helps fund roads in & around LV, which means gas prices in LV are artificially high because of the various added gas taxes.....same with sales taxes. Go to sparsely populated Lincoln County & the sales tax is 6.5% while in Clark it's 8.35% - That difference adds up on a $50,000 vehicle 

6 - I could go on  

Yup, and the locally created revenue streams are largely growth dependent (see SNWA and their hookup fees, residential transfer tax, huge recording fees, licensing/permitting fees, etc.). The agency that is charged with ensuring a reliable water source in a desert that is 100% dependent on a miniscule amount of water from a rapidly diminishing source due to climate change gets the majority of its revenue from.... growth. 

Tom Hanks Space GIF by TV4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/15/2024 at 3:37 PM, SharkTanked said:

Yup, and the locally created revenue streams are largely growth dependent (see SNWA and their hookup fees, residential transfer tax, huge recording fees, licensing/permitting fees, etc.). The agency that is charged with ensuring a reliable water source in a desert that is 100% dependent on a miniscule amount of water from a rapidly diminishing source due to climate change gets the majority of its revenue from.... growth. 

Tom Hanks Space GIF by TV4

Yep - NV has the fee for registering your vehicle based on the valuation, so it's not a basic $35 to $100 like most states, it's $600+ on a new vehicle 

If someone is going to do a restaurant in Clark County under the LVVWD, it's best to lease a space that was a former restaurant or had some decent sinks because you get credit for existing fixtures where new sinks run like $2300 a pop just for the "hook up" fee

My Utah professional license is about $55 for two years renewal........in NV it's $300 per year 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 4:07 PM, UNLV2001 said:

It is nice to have a conference with schools mostly based in the inter-mountain west where ecological issues overlap the region & even the Cali schools have the Sierra's right up the road, especially Fresno St which is right outside of Yosemite & the Redwoods 

it's like we are the the Peak of Competition 

Mountain West - At The Peak - YouTube

Yeah, does not matter if you are @Bob or @SalinasSpartan, the love for the American West's wild spaces in deep.  

It's maybe the only singularly unifying thing on the board because we have all been so blessed to have been born in this part of the world and we know the one thing that makes that blessing singularly special is the land and the Flora and Fauna that inhabit it.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/15/2024 at 3:52 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, does not matter if you are @Bob or @SalinasSpartan, the love for the American West's wild spaces in deep.  

It's maybe the only singularly unifying thing on the board because we have all been so blessed to have been born in this part of the world and we know the one thing that makes that blessing singularly special is the land and the Flora and Fauna that inhabit it.  

Not born, but I do enjoy it.  Minnesota has a few great public land spaces, and the Tribes are cool with folks responsibly recreating on their lands, but nothing like half a state worth.

National Front 

1) Reform the filibuster as the current model gives too much power to dark money.

2) Judges that will impact Citizens United.  

3) Economic Growth 

a) eliminate corporate taxes

b) capital gains equal to income tax

c) create a destination based cash flow tax

d) get corporations out of SF home ownership

e) single payer healthcare with negotiation on drug and medical 

4) Immigration 

a) gain control of border

b) fund to eliminate long delays for legal applicants 

c) take care of dreamers 

d) reunite nuclear families immediately

On 2/15/2024 at 6:49 PM, sactowndog said:

National Front 

1) Reform the filibuster as the current model gives too much power to dark money. - PASS

2) Judges that will impact Citizens United.  - PASS

3) Economic Growth  - Yes, This is important

a) eliminate corporate taxes - Okay. Maybe 

b) capital gains equal to income tax - Maybe

c) create a destination based cash flow tax - ???

d) get corporations out of SF home ownership - Ok 

e) single payer healthcare with negotiation on drug and medical  - Maybe

4) Immigration 

a) gain control of border - Yes

b) fund to eliminate long delays for legal applicants Yes

c) take care of dreamers Yes

d) reunite nuclear families immediately Yes

On 2/15/2024 at 7:15 PM, soupslam1 said:

Get inflation under control. My IRA nest egg is buying less these days. 

It is, so you should be good...

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level