LoboMan59

MWC and Pac 2 Announce Scheduling Agreement...

Y'all are overthinking this. This is a one-year agreement to buy some time for WSU and OSU to finish up their legal issues and play a schedule. Will there be shenanigans? Sure, but this legal contract won't be a part of it.

What it may do is make the MWC more palatable to OSU and Wazoo's fan bases. It might also make them more unattractive to P5's if we clock them a time or two. Both schools look like they're going to hemorrage players through the Portal.

A similar agreement in hoops would be really interesting.

• Like 15
  • Cheers 1

It would be all about a name if 6 or 7 teams leave to join the PAC2.  However it would still be a G5 conference.  That would not make much more $ if at all, the PAC 8 would consist of a bunch of small market teams except SDSU, FSU & SJSU….. CSU doesn’t bring the Denver market.

Also Gloria stated earlier that a fine would be imposed if OSU & WSU try to poach the MWC….. fine amount unknown.

I smell another airport meeting coming. Familiar territory for Wyoming, Air Force, SD St, UNLV, New Mexico & Colorado St. 

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:05 PM, jdw said:

Y'all are overthinking this. This is a one-year agreement to buy some time for WSU and OSU to finish up their legal issues and play a schedule. Will there be shenanigans? Sure, but this legal contract won't be a part of it.

What it may do is make the MWC more palatable to OSU and Wazoo's fan bases. It might also make them more unattractive to P5's if we clock them a time or two. Both schools look like they're going to hemorrage players through the Portal.

A similar agreement in hoops would be really interesting.

This is spot on.  If OSU/WSU are looking to gut the MWC, they're going to try it whether we do this or not.  This is all about forming a relationship but much more importantly...it's about $1.2 million per MWC school.

• Like 4

On 12/1/2023 at 1:19 PM, Headbutt said:

This is spot on.  If OSU/WSU are looking to gut the MWC, they're going to try it whether we do this or not.  This is all about forming a relationship but much more importantly...it's about $1.2 million per MWC school.

Also considering this is a one year deal could very well be a case of this year they're doing the 7+1 model due to time constraints, for 2025 could end up being a normal 8 Conference Games for MWC teams + Wazzu and/or OSU considering they have alot more time to iron it out.

• Like 1

Sounds perfectly fine to me. Should be some decent games for MWC teams and a way as the above poster said, for OSU and WSU to get acquainted with everyone if you will.

Personally hope the Cowboys play at OSU as a cousin of mine lives near Corvallis and therefore I can stay at his house for free haha.

• Like 2

Pistol Pete W GIF by WyomingAthletics

On 12/1/2023 at 1:16 PM, Warbow said:

I smell another airport meeting coming. Familiar territory for Wyoming, Air Force, SD St, UNLV, New Mexico & Colorado St. 

- New Mexico 

FIFY

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 12/1/2023 at 12:16 PM, Warbow said:

SDSU, UNLV and UNM never attended that meeting. It was Wyo, CSU, AFA and the two Utah schools. They reportedly gave SDSU, UNLV and UNM 24 hours to agree to join and if they hadn't other WAC-jobs would have been invited.

On 12/1/2023 at 12:56 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

I hope you're right.  But if there is no such damages provision, that means Nevarez couldn't obtain a consensus among current MWC members to make it a strict condition of the scheduling agreement, because some members haven't given up on the idea of joining a Pac-lite (even if they have to pay exit fees) rather than be part of a fully merged Pac-MWC. And that in turn means that if the MWC is eventually poached and gutted, it will be a suicide, not a murder.

I think there are enough uncertain schools to kill the scheduling agreement if it didn’t have it

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 11:18 AM, Warbow said:

This is the beginning of the end for the MWC.

I didn't think it would last as long as it has, 25 years so far.

On 12/1/2023 at 4:43 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

SDSU, UNLV and UNM never attended that meeting. It was Wyo, CSU, AFA and the two Utah schools. They reportedly gave SDSU, UNLV and UNM 24 hours to agree to join and if they hadn't other WAC-jobs would have been invited.

Wait, we had the option to pass?

• Haha 1

A couple of weeks ago, the signs were for a financial penalty if a raid occurred, then earlier this week was reported the alliance was to lead to an aspirational merger with no penalty. Today silence on the subject...maybe the aspirational goal is still there????

One item I havent read much about are the PAC bowl slots. Are # of bowls being reduced cuz of the expanded playoff? Certainly, there will be fewer bowl teams than now. More chances for G5.5s to play P4s in bowls perhaps?????

I personally would love to see PAC2 + MWC 12 + say Tulane & Memphis in a two 8-team conference set up of PAC & MWC with promotion/relegation. I doubt it will happen.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:19 PM, Headbutt said:

That's loose change under the couch cushions, though.

• Facepalm 1

OSU and Wash St. don't want to join the MWC, that's a given. They want a P5 conference. What's possible on the other hand... This agreement just buys them some time to beg, borrow or steal their way somewhere else, and that's fine, if unlikely.

• Like 1