Billings

QB. NIL costs

On 11/30/2023 at 10:37 AM, Brew_Poke said:

Sadly?

Yeah, sadly.  The only way to unionize the players is to make them employees.  So long amateur sports.  I want the SA's to be taken care of, but I want them to play for the name on the front of the jersey instead of a paycheck.

• Like 6

On 11/30/2023 at 11:46 AM, WAC_FAN said:

Only a matter of time.  People are staying more in women's and men's basketball and even volleyball because there's more NIL money than they can make professionally.

Well the NBA isn’t going to really care, the talent pool is just too big for them to worry about a guy that is a fringe second round prospect staying in college for another year or two. And with the WNBA the money is limited so it just kind of is what it is.

But the NFL doesn’t have that same global talent pool to draw from that the NBA does. So if they start to feel threatened it’ll be interesting to see what they try to do about it. 

On 11/30/2023 at 1:21 PM, Headbutt said:

Yeah, sadly.  The only way to unionize the players is to make them employees.  So long amateur sports.  I want the SA's to be taken care of, but I want them to play for the name on the front of the jersey instead of a paycheck.

These workers have not been amateurs, and have been subjected to monumental wage theft for decades.

On 11/30/2023 at 4:49 PM, Brew_Poke said:

These workers have not been amateurs, and have been subjected to monumental wage theft for decades.

I'll disagree on that.  Show me the MWC team that is making outrageous money off the backs of their athletes.  All while providing them with tuition and fees, meals, tutoring, a professional training and recovery staff, a professional S&C staff, a professional nutritionist, and personalized coaching to help them improve their skill set at no charge.  Last I looked that stuff ain't cheap.

SEC, etc. is making bank off the backs of their SA's.  USU has to provide all of the above for their tennis team that nobody pays to watch.  In the end, most college athletic departments would operate in the red without state and university subsidies.  Like I said, I want to see SA's taken care of.  They can't hold a job and but ought to be able to have the same ability as other students to go out on a date, or afford transportation.  I don't for a minute buy that they are some sort of indentured servants.

If you think that's the case, then pay them all $80 - $100K/year.  Then have them pay for all that stuff I listed. Don't tell me they're not compensated.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 11/30/2023 at 4:20 PM, Headbutt said:

I'll disagree on that.  Show me the MWC team that is making outrageous money off the backs of their athletes.  All while providing them with tuition and fees, meals, tutoring, a professional training and recovery staff, a professional S&C staff, a professional nutritionist, and personalized coaching to help them improve their skill set at no charge.  Last I looked that stuff ain't cheap.

SEC, etc. is making bank off the backs of their SA's.  USU has to provide all of the above for their tennis team that nobody pays to watch.  In the end, most college athletic departments would operate in the red without state and university subsidies.  Like I said, I want to see SA's taken care of.  They can't hold a job and but ought to be able to have the same ability as other students to go out on a date, or afford transportation.  I don't for a minute buy that they are some sort of indentured servants.

If you think that's the case, then pay them all $80 - $100K/year.  Then have them pay for all that stuff I listed. Don't tell me they're not compensated.

Other than tuition/books/meals/dorm rooms why would SAs be charged for those other things when professional athletes aren’t? 

On 11/30/2023 at 6:23 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

Other than tuition/books/meals/dorm rooms why would SAs be charged for those other things when professional athletes aren’t? 

Budget.  It was a hypothetical argument.  The NFL does print money based on their athletics.  UNM, CSU, etc. don't.  Pretending that most college AD's are awash in cash is disingenuous IMO.  Most are overextended just trying to stay competitive.  Some are, and they are used as the basis of policy.  Almost all policies.  Alabama and Michigan can't be the standard for NCAA policies.  Currently they are.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 4:48 PM, Raz said:

Yup.  Cameron Ward will be a Husky.  This is the Golden Rule.  Ward is the man.

That, and I saw OSU’s qb is considering the Ducks. Would be a major smack in the face for WSU and OSU fans.

On 11/30/2023 at 5:20 PM, Headbutt said:

The schools aren't making money (athletics directors and coaches are), but the media executives are making a mint stealing the value created by athlete's unpaid labor.