trvitmvnz

SDSU to hire Sean Lewis

On 11/30/2023 at 1:04 PM, MissionTrails said:

It might end up being like the Al Luginbill years in the WAC, where we would only finish a couple games above .500 every year, but we'd have games like the 52-52 tie LOSS vs BYU and we'd pack the Murph for big games WITHOUT a postgame fireworks show. Of course, now NIL comes into play, and we wouldn't likely be able to land a Marshall Faulk, Patrick Rowe, or Az Hakim in today's world. It would be a bittersweet world somewhere between 2021's 12-2 and 2023's 4-8, but at least we'd get butts in the seats and we'd actually get to keep the associated revenue (F U Chargers!).

Fixed for accuracy.

The only concern I have about Lewis is that we'll become a 2.0 version of Lugie's Aztecs. Lewis now has considerably more $$ to hire a staff than Hoke did and I'll feel a lot better about the hire if he brings in a legit defensive coordinator. However, if it's some old fart on the downside of his career looking to retire on the job in SD . . .

(Not talkin' bout you, Coach Long. You still ROCK!)

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2023 at 2:16 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Fixed for accuracy.

The only concern I have about Lewis is that we'll become a 2.0 version of Lugie's Aztecs. Lewis now has considerably more $$ to hire a staff than Hoke did and I'll feel a lot better about the hire if he brings in a legit defensive coordinator. However, if it's some old fart on the downside of his career looking to retire on the job in SD . . .

He stated he wasn't going to throw out the defensive intensity, so he at least has good lip service thus far.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2023 at 2:16 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Fixed for accuracy.

You are right about that being a "loss" too. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I do remember BYU coming up with some magic underwear miracle and making us walk out of the stadium feeling like we were fleeced. In my case it was stumbling out as I had quite a few brews both in the parking lot and the stadium that night.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 2:44 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

He stated he wasn't going to throw out the defensive intensity, so he at least has good lip service thus far.  

Have Mattix or Danny G. as DC and let Rocky coach the secondary or something? :thumbsup:

I'll be at OB Noodle House for dinner tonight. I'll keep my head on a swivel for a Rocky sighting. 

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:09 PM, dshawfan said:

As one who witnessed Air Coryell as both an Aztec fan and a Charger fan, I love when you talk dirty like that! 😂

So Excited Reaction GIF by Originals

• Haha 2

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/30/2023 at 3:21 PM, MissionTrails said:

You are right about that being a "loss" too. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I do remember BYU coming up with some magic underwear miracle and making us walk out of the stadium feeling like we were fleeced. In my case it was stumbling out as I had quite a few brews both in the parking lot and the stadium that night.

It was horrible. Aztecs were up 42-17 midway through the 3rd quarter. The Chicken started dragging around a Detmer dummy with a rope around its neck. It was all downhill from there. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Facepalm 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 11/30/2023 at 3:14 PM, LetTheFurFly said:

No need to argue semantics: the sheer amount attention that lone year attracted through the media and otherwise dwarfed anything Lewis did at Kent State.

I'm willing to believe that SDSU admins weren't poaching the expertise of the MAC market but following the blood in the water the ESPN hype formed around the CU program this year. Before the 4-8 season fell apart, Prime was an overblown miracle worker with a full stadium all season. The Aztecs would kill for that. 

That year (in the short stint of relevance in Coach Prime's career at the FBS level) is the only one that matters. Nobody cares what they did at the FCS level. Truly. 

But I don’t think it’s semantics. Lewis didn’t even make it a full season there as the play caller. He was already established as a HC. I’m pretty sure Lewis knows a lot more about football coaching than Sanders.  Sanders is a hype machine, nothing more. 

Something tells me being from Sander’s “tree” won’t be a good thing for future assistants. When Sanders ends up being all hot air rather than a good coach. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2023 at 8:13 PM, utenation said:

But I don’t think it’s semantics. Lewis didn’t even make it a full season there as the play caller. He was already established as a HC. I’m pretty sure Lewis knows a lot more about football coaching than Sanders.  Sanders is a hype machine, nothing more. 

Something tells me being from Sander’s “tree” won’t be a good thing for future assistants. When Sanders ends up being all hot air rather than a good coach. 

"Sanders Tree" is definitely a red flag on the resume.  What hype I've read out of San Diego only refers to his success at Kent State.  Smart hype.  I think he'll get past the MEion mistake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There’s a reason Sanders hired so many experienced assistants.

So he can focus making sure his gold chains, sunglasses and official “Prime” gear look perfect when he coddles his two sons on the sidelines and talks about himself in his press conference. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If this guy finds the right DC, the one that understands Rocky's defense, SDSU is going to be a serious force.  If he just wants to get into track meets, he'll load the stadium with fans for about a year and a half with nothing to show for it.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 6:17 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

It was horrible. Aztecs were up 42-17 midway through the 3rd quarter. The Chicken started dragging around a Detmer dummy with a rope around its neck. It was all downhill from there. 

IIRC, earlier that year the Aztecs played UCLA at the Rose Bowl. Faulk was already a big deal because he had run over, around and through UOP for a hundred TDs and a million yards (or was it just 50 TDs and 1,000 yards?). Our friends from SF- the husband was an Aztec like me - came down to visit SoCal and were keen to attend the game with us so we goraged ourselves at the big spread put on by the Aztec Club and then got into the stadium for the pre-game festivities. SDSU yell leaders were telling us how SDSU was something like #5 in the country in yards per game so we were convinced that although the Aztecs might not win, they would at least put big points on the scoreboard. I'm too lazy to go back and check the final score but it was something like 34-14 UCLA.

Nobody had a more exciting offense than SDSU that year. OTOH, nobody had a worse defense.

On 11/30/2023 at 7:23 PM, Headbutt said:

"Sanders Tree" is definitely a red flag on the resume.  What hype I've read out of San Diego only refers to his success at Kent State.  Smart hype.  I think he'll get past the MEion mistake.\

The "Sanders Tree'  is as bountiful as the tiny seedling that my folks planted in front of this place in Fresno https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2025-N-Archie-Ave-Fresno-CA-93703/18744453_zpid that as a toddler I regularl;y leaned against circa 1958 and which therefore grew sideways and was later humanely yanked out of the ground by the couple who bought that place from my parents.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:51 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

The "Sanders Tree'  is as bountiful as the tiny seedling that my folks planted in front of this place in Fresno https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2025-N-Archie-Ave-Fresno-CA-93703/18744453_zpid that as a toddler I regularl;y leaned against circa 1958 and which therefore grew sideways and was later humanely yanked out of the ground by the couple who bought that place from my parents.

Might've grown straight if it hadn't been leaned on so much.  Just sayin'.  That tree is on your head.  😄

On 11/30/2023 at 7:38 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

IIRC, earlier that year the Aztecs played UCLA at the Rose Bowl. Faulk was already a big deal because he had run over, around and through UOP for a hundred TDs and a million yards (or was it just 50 TDs and 1,000 yards?). Our friends from SF- the husband was an Aztec like me - came down to visit SoCal and were keen to attend the game with us so we goraged ourselves at the big spread put on by the Aztec Club and then got into the stadium for the pre-game festivities. SDSU yell leaders were telling us how SDSU was something like #5 in the country in yards per game so we were convinced that although the Aztecs might not win, they would at least put big points on the scoreboard. I'm too lazy to go back and check the final score but it was something like 34-14 UCLA.

Nobody had a more exciting offense than SDSU that year. OTOH, nobody had a worse defense.

Pretty sure, in fact I'm positive, that the '91 game against UCLA was a home game on a Thursday televised on ESPN.  The game in '92 was at the Rose Bowl IIRC.

That '91 game against BYU was a nut punch.  We'd started the WAC season in a one point loss to AFA, then a bludgeoning at the hands of UCLA, and then rolled through the conference winning six in a row.  All that was left to win the conference was to beat BYU at home in prime time on ESPN, in front of 55,000 and then play #1 Miami in the Orange Bowl in a prime time Saturday night ESPN game.  There was talk about a big bowl game should we beat BYU and Miami as well as Marshall as a Heisman candidate as a true frosh.  Then the Aztec curse took over...  

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 10:23 PM, utenation said:

So he can focus making sure his gold chains, sunglasses and official “Prime” gear look perfect when he coddles his two sons on the sidelines and talks about himself in his press conference. 

Does it piss anyone else off that Coach Prime's son is hauling in $2.6 million in NIL?  If I'm a coach with Prime's ~$40-$50 million bank, I'd be clear to the world: "I've got my son's finances covered.  His luggage is Louis.  I'm his NIL.  Any NIL you want to send his way is greatly appreciated and it's going to the team pool so we can be the best we can be."

• Like 4

On 11/30/2023 at 7:23 PM, utenation said:

Concur. "Neon" is more like "L.E.D." from what I have seen...

On 12/1/2023 at 6:10 AM, VandalPride97 said:

Does it piss anyone else off that Coach Prime's son is hauling in $2.6 million in NIL?  If I'm a coach with Prime's ~$40-$50 million bank, I'd be clear to the world: "I've got my son's finances covered.  His luggage is Louis.  I'm his NIL.  Any NIL you want to send his way is greatly appreciated and it's going to the team pool so we can be the best we can be."

Maybe we can turn back the clock to Sanders’ playing days in college and the NFL?

At least the “Prime” hype would be real. 

There’s a reason both his sons act like spoiled jackasses on the field. They learned from the best. 

IMG_2712.jpeg

On 11/30/2023 at 8:23 PM, Headbutt said:

"Sanders Tree" is definitely a red flag on the resume.  What hype I've read out of San Diego only refers to his success at Kent State.  Smart hype.  I think he'll get past the MEion mistake.

Even when breaking down his performance at Colorado the offense was better when Lewis was calling plays. Went from 32ppg to 20ppg after he was removed, seems more his butting heads with Deion then his actual performance is why he lost play calling status.

• Like 2