LakesideVibes

GSR building 1 Billion Dollar entertainment district and 10,000 seat arena that Nevada Basketball will play in.

On 9/27/2023 at 4:52 PM, TGIFaanes said:

But if you look behind the tower where the bowling alley is, it's showing the new parking garage.

They needed to add the parking garage because the arenas' are going where parking is now..........trade off - The existing RV park along the Truckee River is where the new housing units are going  

image.png

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 3:24 PM, SDSUfan said:

San Diego has a sinister plan to steal the Yotes as the primary tenant in our new Stan Kroenke backed 16K seat palace

Shhhh. don't tell anyone.

https://timesofsandiego.com/business/2023/06/12/la-rams-owner-stan-kroenke-joins-investors-in-sports-area-redevelopment/

Midway-Rising.jpg?ssl=1

What memories I have of the San Diego Sport Arena. What a terrible acoustic mess for concerts it was. They finally installed acoustic material to deaden the reflective sound that bounced off the upper back and it got a bit better. 

I was in town in 1979, and The Greatful Dead we’re going to play at night, and in the late afternoon some cops were on the roof peaking over with binoculars and having undercover cops bust drug deals going down. LOL. My first concert there was Yes in mid-1983. My first Aztec game was September 1983. They played in early afternoon on Saturday back then. Linda Ronstadt played after one of the games in 83. 

kat.jpg

On 9/27/2023 at 5:59 PM, UNLV2001 said:

They needed to add the parking garage because the arenas' are going where parking is now..........trade off - The existing RV park along the Truckee River is where the new housing units are going  

image.png

The issue with that housing location is it's really close to the flight path of the airport. So the residents will need to get use to the low aircraft flying right above them.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:55 PM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

The UNR AD website is confusing:

https://nevadawolfpack.com/facilities/track-field-practice-facility/13

It lists the “Track & Field Practice Facility.”  However, in the description, it states:  "The facility brought something to campus that hasn't been seen in a long time - a dedicated facility for field events."

Which is it UNR.  Is it solely a “Practice Facility,” or do y’all hold “field events” there too???

They built a new Catholic H.S. & the U took over their old property.  The softball field, tennis courts are there plus a big field for track field events, practice only.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 5:00 PM, Nevada Convert said:

What memories I have of the San Diego Sport Arena. What a terrible acoustic mess for concerts it was. They finally installed acoustic material to deaden the reflective sound that bounced off the upper back and it got a bit better. 

I was in town in 1979, and The Greatful Dead we’re going to play at night, and in the late afternoon some cops were on the roof peaking over with binoculars and having undercover cops bust drug deals going down. LOL. My first concert there was Yes in mid-1983. My first Aztec game was September 1983. They played in early afternoon on Saturday back then. Linda Ronstadt played after one of the games in 83. 

It's still an acoustic mess and a mess on many other levels, First concert was Blue Oyster Cult in '75 , latest Hall & Oates / Tears For For Fears in '19. If there were improvements along the way, they aren't apparent.

• Like 1

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 9/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, UNLV2001 said:

It's 3,5 miles from the UNLV Bookstore to Allegiant Stadium 

It's 4.4 miles from the UNR Bookstore to the Grand Sierra Resort

So UNLV plays closer to home than UNR !

AD Rempe already announced there will be shuttles for students so they recognize the problem.

On 9/27/2023 at 5:18 PM, TGIFaanes said:

The issue with that housing location is it's really close to the flight path of the airport. So the residents will need to get use to the low aircraft flying right above them.

There's a housing crunch in Reno so it's good that they're planning the housing.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:02 AM, Slapdad said:

To be fair, the valuation of the property hasn't made him money (yet). If the property is profitable, that's another story, but it sounds like he (the company) is also investing a lot of money as well. 

he's been investing it the property ever since he bought it

On 9/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, UNLV2001 said:

It's 3,5 miles from the UNLV Bookstore to Allegiant Stadium 

It's 4.4 miles from the UNR Bookstore to the Grand Sierra Resort

So UNLV plays closer to home than UNR !

Negative. Nevada’s Bookstore is 2.47 miles (straight line) to the future arena. 

The UNLV bookstore is 2.69 miles away from Allegiant 

IMG_4008.png

IMG_4009.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 9/26/2023 at 9:36 PM, bigd said:

In fact, looking at CSU’s track schedule they don’t host any meets, making me think they also may not have the proper facilities to host.  <—I  I Think you have a point RE: CSU’s Indoor Season.  

However if you scroll down past the Indoor sked in the linked I posted here, you‘ll find our Outdoor Season has the Rammies  hosting 3-meets at the: Jack Christiansen Track Facility, on campus at CSU.  https://csurams.com/sports/track-and-field/schedule

March 31st to April 1st - Jack Christiansen Invitational - https://csurams.com/documents/2023/3/28/JackChristiansenInvitational_2023.pdf

April 23rd - Fum McGraw Power Meet 

April 29th - Doug Max Invitational - https://csurams.com/documents/2023/4/22/Doug_Max_updated_Final_schedule.pdf

Check out our meet Apr 6th-7th.  Our Rams have a meet at Turkey Tech just down the road from you in Kapernick’s hometown of Turklock, CA at Stanislaus State.

Sports like track, golf, cross country, etc are unique because they have regional meets with many schools competing rather than traditional home/away games with two schools competing.    <—I  Thanks for the background.  I was unaware & appreciate the education!

In fact, looking at CSU’s track schedule they don’t host any meets, making me think they also may not have the proper facilities to host.  <—I  I Think you have a point RE: CSU’s Indoor Season.  

However if you scroll down past the Indoor sked in the linked I posted here, you‘ll find our Outdoor Season has the Rammies  hosting 3-meets at the: Jack Christiansen Track Facility, on campus at CSU.  https://csurams.com/sports/track-and-field/schedule

March 31st to April 1st - Jack Christiansen Invitational - https://csurams.com/documents/2023/3/28/JackChristiansenInvitational_2023.pdf

April 23rd - Fum McGraw Power Meet 

April 29th - Doug Max Invitational - https://csurams.com/documents/2023/4/22/Doug_Max_updated_Final_schedule.pdf

Check out our meet Apr 6th-7th.  Our Rams have a meet at Turkey Tech just down the road from you in Kapernick’s hometown of Turklock, CA at Stanislaus State.

Sports like track, golf, cross country, etc are unique because they have regional meets with many schools competing rather than traditional home/away games with two schools competing.    <—I  Thanks for the background.  I was unaware & appreciate the education!

On 9/27/2023 at 1:33 PM, wolf from 73 said:

Congrats Nevada fans.

This looks like a HUGE project for Washoe Co & your university.

Any details on the kind of landlord tenant relationship UNR & The Meruelo Group are discussing?  I hope it’s better than the way Los Raiders are treating your lil’ brother down south:

Nevada “please call us a Land Grand school” Southern 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 2:05 AM, mugtang said:

Negative. Nevada’s Bookstore is 2.47 miles (straight line) to the future arena. 

The UNLV bookstore is 2.69 miles away from Allegiant 

IMG_4008.png

IMG_4009.png

Drive time from the Nevada bookstore to the Nevada Arena is 6 minutes mostly on freeway. 

Drive time from the UNLV bookstore to Allegient Stadium is 12 minutes of Hell driving down Flamingo trying to cross Swenson (Airport exit) and Las Vegas Blvd (The Strip).

🤪

I don’t think either is a major issue.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 1:48 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Guess the upgrade to a modern arena with amenities is the trade off for an off campus location - Also mentioned was minor league hockey 

Looks like main selling point to UNR was the branding which seems to be focused on UNR despite being a potential multi-tenant & use facility 

As far as you branding point @UNLV2001.  From that image, I can’t tell if the oversized Nevada script & log is permanent signage/art or a lighting effect.

Does anybody know?

On 9/27/2023 at 2:24 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Yeah.......UNLV women play on Cox Pavilion which is attached to the T&M & seats around 4000-5000 

Not sure why this guy is chiming in, other than his profile says he's some assistna t AD in Oklahoma ?!?!

Cox is basically in the same building as the T&M - Mendenhall is the practice facility & they built something on the opposite end 

image.png

Makes sense.  Women do love cox...

On 9/28/2023 at 5:29 AM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

Congrats Nevada fans.

This looks like a HUGE project for Washoe Co & your university.

Any details on the kind of landlord tenant relationship UNR & The Meruelo Group are discussing?  I hope it’s better than the way Los Raiders are treating your lil’ brother down south:  Nevada “please call us a Land Grand school” Southern 

On 9/27/2023 at 3:20 PM, SharkTanked said:

Should be a nice venue, but it does seem small. I'd like to see it at 14k. At any rate, good for UNR getting a brand new arena for free! <—I  You know better than that.  There’s no such thing as a FREE lunch.  Which is why I asked the question in RED above.  

Here's hoping they can turn this into upgrading the football facilities.

On 9/27/2023 at 5:00 PM, Nevada Convert said:

My first event there was a SDSU BB game Fall 1985 or Spring 1986, I forgot which.  It was a shit hole then.

I was SHOCKED when I returned Fall of 2018 on tour w/System of a Down.  I couldn’t believe it was still there.  WTF???

On 9/26/2023 at 7:20 PM, Slapdad said:

And the world's largest indoor stage. Hello Hollywood Hello had a life-sized replica of a Boeing 727 on stage...it was pretty amazing. We used to go to the Jai Alai there too, which was fun to watch. 107571369_10159127299538676_774111624454

Me and my buddies would take mind altering substances and go watch the Jai Alai there. I cringe when I think of some of the things we did back then. :)

I believe that old jet is still back there.