Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Way Too Early 2023-24 MWC Hoops Predictions

On 5/26/2023 at 3:37 PM, kingpotato said:

Why? What have you seen that would make you think that? They couldn't even win when they had head-and-shoulders better talent than the rest of the league. Again, I'll believe it when I see it.

Are you talking about when Dave Rice was the coach?? :lol:

There's gotta be a little thread around here somewhere about that, and how ineffective he was as a head coach. I was not happy when KK was hired because of his lack of experience, but he is already head and shoulders a better in game coach than Dave Rice, and still has a ways to go.

But yeah. We'll see what happens, all of our teams could be a lot different than what we expect. But Dedan Thomas will be FOTY, if he does indeed reclassify. Just sayin.

On 5/26/2023 at 5:36 PM, 4UNLV said:

There's gotta be a little thread around here somewhere about that, and how ineffective he was as a head coach. I was not happy when KK was hired because of his lack of experience, but he is already head and shoulders a better in game coach than Dave Rice, and still has a ways to go.

But yeah. We'll see what happens, all of our teams could be a lot different than what we expect. But Dedan Thomas will be FOTY, if he does indeed reclassify. Just sayin.

You could pick any of the coaches. The results are always similar. All I know is there annually seems to be optimism in the off-season for UNLV and I've never seen it come to fruition. If they do something to change that, I'll recognize... until then, however...

On 5/26/2023 at 5:36 PM, 4UNLV said:

I mean the Rebs have been far worse since firing Dave Rice....

On 5/26/2023 at 4:44 PM, kingpotato said:

You could pick any of the coaches. The results are always similar. All I know is there annually seems to be optimism in the off-season for UNLV and I've never seen it come to fruition. If they do something to change that, I'll recognize... until then, however...

Ok. Good luck to your team, I hope it's as good as you think it will be.

On 5/26/2023 at 4:47 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I mean the Rebs have been far worse since firing Dave Rice....

Not because he was a good coach, lol. They just hired worse, which doesn't make firing him wrong. Obviously it was definitely wrong to fire him mid season, but in just over 4 1/2 years Dave dropped that program like a rock and started the trend to where we are now. But again, tiny little thread about that. We'll see if KK can do anything with the talent he has brought in so far this year.

The MWC should be strong again but not sure it will be as good as last year. What helped last year was all team ratings were above the 200 line. That could be tough to repeat for SJSU who lost their best two players. Miles has his work cut out for him. Unfortunately Fresno and Wyoming could also be worse.

Utah State lost most of their team but every time you count them out they somehow rebound. Air Force is tough to predict although should improve as they were a very young team last year. They did lose one of their better players to the portal. 

The rest of the league should be very competitive with all capable of winning 20 games or more. SDSU still are the front runner. I’ll be glad to see Mensah leave. He was limited on offense but he was the cornerstone of the Aztec defense. 

On 5/26/2023 at 5:49 PM, 4UNLV said:

Ok. Good luck to your team, I hope it's as good as you think it will be.

It's been talked about a lot by local sports media in the off-season. This is the first time since the late 80s that fans are as excited about the basketball team as they are with the football team (more in many cases).

Boise basketball fans have something going into the season that is pretty rare... high expectations.

On 5/26/2023 at 5:53 PM, 4UNLV said:

Not because he was a good coach, lol. They just hired worse, which doesn't make firing him wrong. Obviously it was definitely wrong to fire him mid season, but in just over 4 1/2 years Dave dropped that program like a rock and started the trend to where we are now. But again, tiny little thread about that. We'll see if KK can do anything with the talent he has brought in so far this year.

The issue with the Rebels has always been getting the players to play as a team rather than auditioning for the NBA. They seem to be more interested in individually looking good versus playing together. And it only takes one or two players to disrupt team harmony. They have talented players coming in. If they mesh and play solid defense (less double teaming and gambling) they could be near the top. But we all say that every year. 

On 5/26/2023 at 5:54 PM, soupslam1 said:

The MWC should be strong again but not sure it will be as good as last year. What helped last year was all team ratings were above the 200 line. That could be tough to repeat for SJSU who lost their best two players. Unfortunately Fresno and Wyoming could also be worse.

Utah State lost most of their team but every time you count them out they somehow rebound. Air Force is tough to predict although should improve as they were a very young team last year. They did lose one of their better players to the portal. 

The rest of the league should be very competitive with all capable of winning 20 games or more. SDSU still are the front runner. I’ll be glad to see Mensah leave. He was limited on offense but he was the cornerstone of the Aztec defense. 

I feel that the middle/top should be as good as it's ever been. Bottom might not be as strong, but all of those teams have proven good coaches, so you never know. It's not very difficult in basketball to have a one year turnaround, especially with the portal.

Edit: well, all but Fresno. This has to be Hutson's last year, right?

On 5/26/2023 at 5:53 PM, 4UNLV said:

I trust your opinion, so fill me in. I see they have three strong transfers coming in, but they also lose their top two scorers as well as some other solid contributors off of a below average team. If that FR PG reclassifies and plays this year that would be HUGE. Is there more than that?

If the FR does come in, I can understand the hype... I'm still on the other side of the fence, however.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:21 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Nevada is not going .500 when they return Blackshear and Lucas.

Yeah, I'm not buying that graphic. I see UNR being an NCAA tourney caliber team.

UNM will be top 3 and should be an NCAAT team. We are much deeper which will help with defense, and we have more scoring options

PG- House, Dent

SG- Mashburn, 4* Tru Washington

SF- Baker (Fresno), Q. Webb

PF- Amzil (Dayton), Mushila (TAM CC)

C- Nelly JJ (Iona), 3* Jadyn Toppin 

I can see putting Nevada below SDSU, BSU, UNM, and UNLV (not that I agree), but how are we below CSU and USU? 

What is the link for this graphic?

Sure seems everyone is overlooking us, when we return our top 2 scorers from a borderline tournament team. The top of the league should be better than it's ever been next season, but as mentioned above it may not be as deep. 

I think a lot of Nevada's success will be dependent on the health of Hymes. If he's healthy I think we can be a lot better than last season. 

On 5/26/2023 at 6:40 PM, Lobonado said:

UNM will be top 3 and should be an NCAAT team. We are much deeper which will help with defense, and we have more scoring options

PG- House, Dent

SG- Mashburn, 4* Tru Washington

SF- Baker (Fresno), Q. Webb

PF- Amzil (Dayton), Mushila (TAM CC)

C- Nelly JJ (Iona), 3* Jadyn Toppin 

While I do have UNM in my top 3. I do feel they have upgraded significantly to go with an already solid core. Definite title contenders.

However, according to fans, there are six teams that are going to finish in the top 3... my maths doesn't compute.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:45 PM, bigd said:

I can see putting Nevada below SDSU, BSU, UNM, and UNLV (not that I agree), but how are we below CSU and USU? 

Sure seems everyone is overlooking us, when we return our top 2 scorers from a borderline tournament team. The top of the league should be better than it's ever been next season, but as mentioned above it may not be as deep. 

I think a lot of Nevada's success will be dependent on the health of Hymes. If he's healthy I think we can be a lot better than last season. 

A lot of us aren't sleeping on UNR. But there have definitely been a handful of teams that, on paper, have significantly improved.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:24 PM, kingpotato said:

A lot of us aren't sleeping on UNR. But there have definitely been a handful of teams that, on paper, have significantly improved.

Yeah no doubt, but it's always questionable how portal additions work out. See Wyoming last year and Nevada the year before. At this point I'd put the league into the following tiers:

Tier 1: San Diego State, Boise State
Tier 2: Colorado State, Nevada, New Mexico, UNLV
Tier 3: Air Force, Fresno State, San Jose State, Utah State
Tier 4: Wyoming

As you mentioned I wouldn't be surprised to see UNLV and New Mexico move up to the first or drop down to the third. 

On 5/26/2023 at 7:35 PM, bigd said:

Yeah no doubt, but it's always questionable how portal additions work out. See Wyoming last year and Nevada the year before. At this point I'd put the league into the following tiers:

As you mentioned I wouldn't be surprised to see UNLV and New Mexico move up to the first or drop down to the third. 

I'm more high on UNM than you, but the rest we agree on.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:35 PM, bigd said:

We all just have to get off to hot starts. Then it won’t matter much if it’s a bar room brawl during conference play. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 5/26/2023 at 5:45 PM, bigd said:

1 word. Alford