Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Way Too Early 2023-24 MWC Hoops Predictions

On 5/26/2023 at 6:40 PM, Lobonado said:

UNM will be top 3 and should be an NCAAT team. We are much deeper which will help with defense, and we have more scoring options

PG- House, Dent

SG- Mashburn, 4* Tru Washington

SF- Baker (Fresno), Q. Webb

PF- Amzil (Dayton), Mushila (TAM CC)

C- Nelly JJ (Iona), 3* Jadyn Toppin 

You'd put Amzil over Mushila? I think Mushila is going to be a player.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:45 PM, bigd said:

I can see putting Nevada below SDSU, BSU, UNM, and UNLV (not that I agree), but how are we below CSU and USU? 

What is the link for this graphic?

Sure seems everyone is overlooking us, when we return our top 2 scorers from a borderline tournament team. The top of the league should be better than it's ever been next season, but as mentioned above it may not be as deep. 

I think a lot of Nevada's success will be dependent on the health of Hymes. If he's healthy I think we can be a lot better than last season. 

https://www.barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=MWC&state=All&year=2023&sort=

Calling bullshit on this thread. Anyone who has mwcboarded for any length of time should understand that UNLV is always the preseason champ. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 5/26/2023 at 9:19 PM, SDSUfan said:

Calling bullshit on this thread. Anyone who has mwcboarded for any length of time should understand that UNLV is always the preseason champ. 

This could be their year.

On 6/2/2023 at 12:16 PM, bigd said:

Not a bad write up. I thought he ignored FR coming in. The only one he mentions is the one from UNLV... who hasn't even reclassified for '23 yet. UNM, SDSU, and Boise all bring in some instant impact FR. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind.

I do see those three being the top 3 right now. The next 3 are clearly better than the bottom 5 and any of them could end up in the top 3.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:40 PM, Lobonado said:

UNM will be top 3 and should be an NCAAT team. We are much deeper which will help with defense, and we have more scoring options

PG- House, Dent

SG- Mashburn, 4* Tru Washington

SF- Baker (Fresno), Q. Webb

PF- Amzil (Dayton), Mushila (TAM CC)

C- Nelly JJ (Iona), 3* Jadyn Toppin 

Toppin is a 4 star.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:13 PM, kingpotato said:

You'd put Amzil over Mushila? I think Mushila is going to be a player.

He's not really a guard or wing, even though he's 6'5". If we start him at the 4 and have Amzil come off the bench, we're going to be super small. I also don't think Amzil comes here unless he's almost certain to be a starter.

There's a chance he could play some 3, but every video I've seen of him he's just causing havoc in the paint and occasionally shooting open threes.

I agree that he could be quite the player for us. Might end up being the best player we got in the off-season not named Nelly Junior Joseph. It's hard to tell how his skills will translate coming from the Southland Conference to the MWC. Pretty big step up in competition. Amzil, on the other hand, has proven himself in the A-10, which is why I'd give him the nod at the moment.

On 6/2/2023 at 2:49 PM, TopLobo said:

He's not really a guard or wing, even though he's 6'5". If we start him at the 4 and have Amzil come off the bench, we're going to be super small. I also don't think Amzil comes here unless he's almost certain to be a starter.

There's a chance he could play some 3, but every video I've seen of him he's just causing havoc in the paint and occasionally shooting open threes.

I agree that he could be quite the player for us. Might end up being the best player we got in the off-season not named Nelly Junior Joseph. It's hard to tell how his skills will translate coming from the Southland Conference to the MWC. Pretty big step up in competition. Amzil, on the other hand, has proven himself in the A-10, which is why I'd give him the nod at the moment.

Fair enough. They seem to have a lot of different combinations to play both big and small.

On 6/2/2023 at 2:13 PM, Iam4wyo said:

I believe Wyoming is rated too good in this prediction.  I think we get 4 OOC wins, and 2 sneaky MWC wins.  Hopefully both against CSewe.   

Yeah. We gonna suck

On 5/26/2023 at 2:10 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

My initial thought on CSU.

Rams will be much improved after a poor 2022-23 season full of injury issues and getting caught with their pants down losing David Roddy to the NBA. They’ll be bigger, more athletic, and older. Two sixth year players, two fifth year players, two fourth year players. 

I think they’ll compete at or near the top of the MWC. 

Here’s an unpopular opinion. SDSU will not be head and shoulders above the rest of the MWC in 23-24. Yes they return some very good players in Butler, Tramell, Ledee, Parrish. The portal additions are good but a net loss compared to the guys that moved on. As it stands, they’ll need some major contributions from their inexperienced youth.

I don’t agree on SDSU. I think they’ll dominate. 

kat.jpg

On 6/2/2023 at 7:31 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I don’t agree on SDSU. I think they’ll dominate. 

Why do you think that? They didn't exactly dominate in conference last year with their national championship runner up season. They didn't dominate the year before with largely the same team. So, what do you see that makes you think that?

On 6/2/2023 at 8:20 PM, kingpotato said:

Why do you think that? They didn't exactly dominate in conference last year with their national championship runner up season. They didn't dominate the year before with largely the same team. So, what do you see that makes you think that?

Dude, they got some good players in the portal, and they’re returning some great players, that’s why. We know SDSU really well because we play them all the time. Winning 15 of 18 in a tough conference is reasonably dominant IMHO.

kat.jpg

Mensah, Arop, and Johnson were big losses.  They keyed their defense as teams couldn’t get much inside. That allowed them to play tighter perimeter defense. Mensah was under appreciated. So far they haven’t replaced Mensah unless Demarshay is that guy. If they don’t have a shot blocker in the middle opponents are going to attack the basket. Someone on Aztec Mesa agrees:

If there isn’t defensive regression, Dutcher is a genius. 

Personally, I saw so much of what they were able to do as being related to Mensah’s defensive versatility. They’re a different team when LeDee or the other bigs are switching onto ball handlers on the perimeter. Still a good team and perhaps there’s validity to the argument that the scoring makes up for it, but I’m in the camp of believing it when I see it. 

The best SDSU always had a formidable rim protector, and we could go 20 years without someone as talented defensively as Mensah—even at SDSU. “