Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Which team will take a step back next season?

On 5/26/2023 at 11:49 AM, kingpotato said:

Air Force seems to be a popular pick. Fresno, SJSU, and Wyoming also mentioned.

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2023/5/26/23736877/mountain-west-football-2023-roundtable-team-regression

I could see Fresno taking a step back in the sense of not winning the championship game again. BUT Record wise not so much as 8-4 (regular season record last year) is probably the floor for this year. 

Fresno has the second best odds to win the MW, they host the team with the #1 odds (Boise), don't play the #3 team (Air Force), probably get to avoid any very cold weather games as the last time they have to travel outside the state of California is 10/14 when they play at Utah State, and have a much easier OOC schedule than last year. 

Well we can’t get much worse so I’ll pick Nevada for taking a step forward. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 5/26/2023 at 2:41 PM, mugtang said:

Well we can’t get much worse so I’ll pick Nevada for taking a step forward. 

Exactly where CSU is at as well IMO.

On 5/26/2023 at 4:20 PM, kingpotato said:

I do feel CSU is the most likely to take a step up. It would be very surprising if they didn't.

I think CSU fans would use the word disappointing rather than surprising.

I think Wyoming takes a step back, as mentioned in the article their OOC is pretty rough with Texas Tech, Texas and App State. In their MWC slate they could/should be able to get wins vs Nevada, New Mexico and Hawaii but will depend on how much those teams have improved.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:27 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

CSU has a very good HC. Does Nevada?

Big question mark.  He's old school.  Played the lesser talented QB because he was more of a team player. After the big departures to CSU he felt he owed the guys that stuck around & played them a lot so the youngsters didn't get much playing time.  Questionable decision IMO if you're trying to rebuild a program.  OTH, he brought in a lot of Pac 12 transfers to cover weak spots so almost every position is upgraded.  The major problem will most likely be the OL.

What is this “football” you guys keep talking about?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."