Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

HE’S BAAAACCK!

On 5/26/2023 at 3:06 PM, Rebels18 said:

how-so? you lost tonje and added a pineriders from Colorado and UNM and a couple other schools no one has heard of

am i missing something? who's gonna score inside like roddy did

Clifford was a 4 star kid that was stunted at CU.  He brings length and defense that Tonje didn't have.  Johnson started 60+ games at UNM, and shot 45% from 3 two years ago.  Joel Scott is a Roddy-like PF who was D2 national POY and has scored 2k points in his career.  

Tonje was a loss, but outside of that, the other guys were non-factors for the most part.  CSU is legit 10 deep now.

On 5/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, RambleOn said:

Clifford was a 4 star kid that was stunted at CU.  He brings length and defense that Tonje didn't have.  Johnson started 60+ games at UNM, and shot 45% from 3 two years ago.  Joel Scott is a Roddy-like PF who was D2 national POY and has scored 2k points in his career.  

Tonje was a loss, but outside of that, the other guys were non-factors for the most part.  CSU is legit 10 deep now.

Also bringing back a stud 2 and a 5 that were both out all of last year, and a couple of high end frosh.  We'll see how everybody gels, but we should be a very, very good team this year.

On 5/26/2023 at 3:26 PM, Headbutt said:

Also bringing back a stud 2 and a 5 that were both out all of last year, and a couple of high end frosh.  We'll see how everybody gels, but we should be a very, very good team this year.

My biggest concern next year is keeping everyone happy with minutes.  Great problem to have tho!

On 5/26/2023 at 3:30 PM, RambleOn said:

My biggest concern next year is keeping everyone happy with minutes.  Great problem to have tho!

Yes, it's going to be very hard to go only 7 or 8 deep in the rotation.  Hopefully guys are patient in earning their minutes.  Gonna' be a solid roster, but we'll lose a lot after this year.  Some of the younger guys will need to see limited minutes as part of a bigger opportunity down the road.

On 5/26/2023 at 1:54 PM, roughrider said:

Love it.  Great for CSU and the MWC.   

BTW, no way in hell the Broncos are 4th next year.  

Yep. Unless the wheels totally come off. Leon has the best track record in the country with identifying transfers. He very rarely misses with those guys and this is the best group he's brought in to go with the best FR class he's brought in.

On 5/26/2023 at 2:02 PM, NevadaFan said:

I was waiting for this rant. 

"Rant-speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way."

Your use of the word "rant" takes a lot of liberties.

On 5/26/2023 at 2:59 PM, RambleOn said:

CSU came out WAY ahead in the portal.  Going to be a top end MWC team next year.

The top end of the MW seems a very crowded group this off-season.

On 5/26/2023 at 3:07 PM, 4UNLV said:

Hey, we were 7th, get it right. 😄

But I think we will probably be able to hang with everyone not named the Aztecs this year. But, yeah. You never know.

I'm not sure SDSU will even be the best team in the league this year.

On 5/26/2023 at 3:26 PM, Headbutt said:

Who are the 2 and 5 you speak of? Also, the FR. Fill me in.

That's where Boise sits. The 2nd guy off of the bench last year likely won't be in the top 10 this season.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:24 PM, kingpotato said:

Who are the 2 and 5 you speak of? Also, the FR. Fill me in.

The 5 is Kyle Evans.  An early qualifier that came in when we lost Jennisson to yet another knee injury.  Was green as grass in his first minutes, but made some astounding strides in a short time until he got a season ending injury (arm?) after just a few games.  I believe he was just one game over the max to redshirt.

The 2 is Josiah Strong.  A D guy and a shooting phenom at Illinois State that joined the team as a grad transfer last year, got mono and missed almost the entire season.  He got a waiver and will get this year to play.

The frosh are Kyan Evans, the '22 Gatorade Missouri Boys BB player of the year.  PG with a ton of upside.  Obviously he's just going to get his feet wet this year with Stevens returning, but he was a hell of a catch.

.Second frosh is Rashaan Mbemba, a 6'7" forward out of Austria.  Rated the best young player in the Austrian Men's league and played on the national team.  He's almost a Roddy clone as far as body and his pre-D1 game.  Time will tell if he can step up to Roddy's level when he faces D1 competition.

I expect Strong to start, Kyle Evans to see significant minutes, Mbemba to get more and more minutes as he absorbs the game, and I think Kyan Evans will see the court just enough to preserve his redshirt.  We still have Tavi Jackson behind Stevens, so hopefully we won't need any frosh help at the point.  As always, ask @Swoll Cracker, he's definitely got the best pulse of this team outside of the coaches.

This season will be a fair one to judge our coaches by if we stay in decent health.  They have a very full toolbox, it's up to them what they do with it.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:56 PM, Headbutt said:

The 5 is Kyle Evans.  An early qualifier that came in when we lost Jennisson to yet another knee injury.  Was green as grass in his first minutes, but made some astounding strides in a short time until he got a season ending injury (arm?) after just a few games.  I believe he was just one game over the max to redshirt.

The 2 is Josiah Strong.  A D guy and a shooting phenom at Illinois State that joined the team as a grad transfer last year, got mono and missed almost the entire season.  He got a waiver and will get this year to play.

The frosh are Kyan Evans, the '22 Gatorade Missouri Boys BB player of the year.  PG with a ton of upside.  Obviously he's just going to get his feet wet this year with Stevens returning, but he was a hell of a catch.

.Second frosh is Rashaan Mbemba, a 6'7" forward out of Austria.  Rated the best young player in the Austrian Men's league and played on the national team.  He's almost a Roddy clone as far as body and his pre-D1 game.  Time will tell if he can step up to Roddy's level when he faces D1 competition.

I expect Strong to start, Kyle Evans to see significant minutes, Mbemba to get more and more minutes as he absorbs the game, and I think Kyan Evans will see the court just enough to preserve his redshirt.  We still have Tavi Jackson behind Stevens, so hopefully we won't need any frosh help at the point.  As always, ask @Swoll Cracker, he's definitely got the best pulse of this team outside of the coaches.

This season will be a fair one to judge our coaches by if we stay in decent health.  They have a very full toolbox, it's up to them what they do with it.

Yeah, Strong looks like he'll contribute immediately. I don't know Evans so that much, but seems like he'll be behind Cartier, Joel Scott, and Moors. The FR might have a hard time finding minutes early.

On 5/26/2023 at 5:21 PM, kingpotato said:

I'm not sure SDSU will even be the best team in the league this year.

They might not be, but having just gotten to the finals they get the benefit of the doubt, even with a couple of different players.

On 5/26/2023 at 7:55 PM, 4UNLV said:

They might not be, but having just gotten to the finals they get the benefit of the doubt, even with a couple of different players.

They will. They'll be preseason favorite. I'm certain of that. I don't think they win the league, though. Unless they make some more additions late.

On 5/26/2023 at 7:37 PM, kingpotato said:

Yeah, Strong looks like he'll contribute immediately. I don't know Evans so that much, but seems like he'll be behind Cartier, Joel Scott, and Moors. The FR might have a hard time finding minutes early.

Moors is gone. He returned to New Zealand to play professionally. Kyle Evans will get his minutes off the bench.

As for the starting lineup, I think it will be Stevens, Lake, Clifford, Scott, and Cartier. Jackson off the bench to spell Stevens, Strong off the bench to spell Lake. Johnson off the bench to spell both Clifford and Scott. Evans off the bench to spell Cartier. Medved likes to play small ball lineups and I can see one with Scott, Johnson, Clifford, Strong, Stevens. I don’t see many minutes for the freshmen. Mbemba is a bit of a wild card since he’s already 20 years old.

Lots of firepower on this squad. They’ll need to gel defensively to compete at the top of the MWC. I think they’ll be better than other recent CSU teams defensively because of the improved size and athleticism which will allow them to switch more effectively.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:12 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

Moors is gone. He returned to New Zealand to play professionally. Kyle Evans will get his minutes off the bench.

As for the starting lineup, I think it will be Stevens, Lake, Clifford, Scott, and Cartier. Jackson off the bench to spell Stevens, Strong off the bench to spell Lake. Johnson off the bench to spell both Clifford and Scott. Evans off the bench to spell Cartier. Medved likes to play small ball lineups and I can see one with Scott, Johnson, Clifford, Strong, Stevens. I don’t see many minutes for the freshmen. Mbemba is a bit of a wild card since he’s already 20 years old.

Lots of firepower on this squad. They’ll need to gel defensively to compete at the top of the MWC. I think they’ll be better than other recent CSU teams defensively because of the improved size and athleticism which will allow them to switch more effectively.

Was unaware of Moors. He was a solid backup.

Boise played small ball last year, but it was out of necessity, not choice. They won't have that issue this year. Deggie will get to play his more natural 4 spot.

Medved is comfortable playing 9. We saw 10 last year but that was out of necessity because of health. I don’t see minutes for Joe Palmer or the two freshmen.