Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Best MW head coaching football jobs.

Was surprised to see Boise 5th in budget. It wasn't long ago that Boise's budget was well ahead of the rest of the league. That's a credit to league schools stepping up in that area. Discuss.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/ranking-mountain-west-football-head-coaching-jobs-from-the-best-to-the-worst

On 5/24/2023 at 7:08 PM, kingpotato said:

It's also crazy that CSU towers over the league in football budget and is 2nd in basketball budget. Does any school get less bang for their buck?

No.  I'm amazed how they have managed to mess their situation up so bad.  They should have been on a short list for Big 12 expansion candidates back when they added the 4 new schools but they pissed that opportunity down their leg.  They just can't get out of their own way.

I would also say that it is lazy journalism to say if Bohl can't win there, maybe nobody can.  

If Bohl was open to changing up his offense he might have a MW title.  Bohl is a great coach and I get sticking with what he knows, but the game has changed offensively and he hasn't.  He doesn't need to go spread but his offense is dog shit.  

On 5/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, Wyobraska said:

I would also say that it is lazy journalism to say if Bohl can't win there, maybe nobody can.  

If Bohl was open to changing up his offense he might have a MW title.  Bohl is a great coach and I get sticking with what he knows, but the game has changed offensively and he hasn't.  He doesn't need to go spread but his offense is dog shit.  

He has had talent on par with Boise, SDSU and Fresno several years....Some one year down right better...

On 5/24/2023 at 6:05 PM, kingpotato said:

Was surprised to see Boise 5th in budget. It wasn't long ago that Boise's budget was well ahead of the rest of the league. That's a credit to league schools stepping up in that area. Discuss.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/ranking-mountain-west-football-head-coaching-jobs-from-the-best-to-the-worst

Proud to see my school is still doing less w/more than any school in the conf.

I was surprised to see Nevada Southern's underwhelming hire of it's new head coach (I forget his name at the moment) highest in the conf making $1.75mm

On 5/24/2023 at 6:08 PM, kingpotato said:

It's also crazy that CSU towers over the league in football budget and is 2nd in basketball budget. Does any school get less bang for their buck?

We'll be fine in hoops going frwd.  We had the highest NCAA seed in the conf in 2021 & had 4-5 yrs worth of illnesses & injures to deal w/in 2022.  

Keep in mind, last-yr we were:

* seconds-away from beating NCAA runner-up CSU-Diego TWICE

* beat #19 St Mary's on-the-road last-yr.

As for FB, you make a very valid pt.  That's what two shitty coaching hires in-a-row + an ill-advised contract extension will do to a pgm.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:14 PM, Wyobraska said:

No.  I'm amazed how they have managed to mess their situation up so bad.  They should have been on a short list for Big 12 expansion candidates back when they added the 4 new schools but they pissed that opportunity down their leg.  They just can't get out of their own way.

I'm amazed how well wy-hole can do in FB after sending so many contributors to the portal the last two-yrs.

As far as hoops, the cowgirls were on pt in 2022-'23.  ¿Do y'all have much room to tlk? after your NIL budget was pissed away on 3 12-Pack transfers who made y'all worse & hit the road already.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:08 PM, kingpotato said:

Without bothering to look it up I'd bet that their stadium revenue and expenses flow through the football budget.

On 5/24/2023 at 10:21 PM, Fowl said:

Without bothering to look it up I'd bet that their stadium revenue and expenses flow through the football budget.

IIRC, you are exactly right.  Additionally, paying two bad FB coaches to go away is part of the FB budget.  Could've done a lot more with less with different management in the hiring processes.  No excuses.  Upper management at CSU has done nothing right re. football in about 20 years other than building a nice stadium (which was something they really had no choice but to do).

On 5/24/2023 at 8:41 PM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

We'll be fine in hoops going frwd.  We had the highest NCAA seed in the conf in 2021 & had 4-5 yrs worth of illnesses & injures to deal w/in 2022.  

Keep in mind, last-yr we were:

* seconds-away from beating NCAA runner-up CSU-Diego TWICE

* beat #19 St Mary's on-the-road last-yr.

As for FB, you make a very valid pt.  That's what two shitty coaching hires in a row will do to a pgm.

Yeah, you guys were dope.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:21 PM, Fowl said:

That, and the article mentioned that much of the budget was coaches buy out on both sides. Not so much annually growth as much as sunk cost. But they're trying.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:45 PM, Headbutt said:

IIRC, you are exactly right.  Additionally, paying two bad FB coaches to go away is part of the FB budget.  Could've done a lot more with less with different management in the hiring processes.  No excuses.  Upper management at CSU has done nothing right re. football in about 20 years other than building a nice stadium (which was something they really had no choice but to do).

Any idea if last year was just growing pains for the Rams or will this season be a repeat of last season? Seemed to be alot of varied opinion on Norvell so wondering if this will be another hiccup for the CSU brass 

On 5/25/2023 at 12:28 AM, utgrizfan said:

Any idea if last year was just growing pains for the Rams or will this season be a repeat of last season? Seemed to be alot of varied opinion on Norvell so wondering if this will be another hiccup for the CSU brass 

It all depends on our O-Line & RB rooms.

Lots o' new faces on the Roster this Fall via transfer.  Every position group should be better (D-2nd-dary, QB, TE, WRs, ST); except for:

* D-Line (most likely flat...it was our biggest strength last-yr)

* O-Line, RBs & LBs (our biggest question marks....they could go either way)

A school of losers

Second in HC Salary as well.

Doing less with more is a motto that encompasses at least four MW FB programs.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 5/25/2023 at 7:06 AM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

for your crumbling stadium do y'all have in that same period?

At least we can win games in our stadium. Maybe CSU should try that once in awhile, or at least not get blown out by FCS teams.