Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Athlon College Preview (really long)

On 5/24/2023 at 9:20 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

CSU’s inability to produce results is approaching Miami level right now.  CSU does ok at it but could dominate g5 recruiting, but development seems to be a struggle.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:22 PM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

Hide & watch carpetbagger.  

HC MJN-III's 1st real recruiting class is just now rolling in to Ft Fun.

On 5/26/2023 at 3:38 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I complimented recruiting, that isn’t the problem.  The problem is development.  <---I  NOPE...the problem is your aren't patient enough to wait long enough for to see if HC MJN-III can develop the talent you you complimented.  Time-wise, last-yrs class was mostly recruited by Coach Steve "Meathead" Addazio.  As you told you yesterday, "HC MJN-III's 1st real recruiting class is just now rolling in to Ft Fun."

Chk-out the evidence from UNR.  One of HC MJN-III strengths is developing the top-notch talent he's able to recruit.  

On 5/26/2023 at 10:21 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I hope they turn it around, I was speaking in realities of how we got to where we are today.  The results haven’t reflected the recruiting for years.  I’m expecting a decent jump this year, they could turn quickly.  

You really are that dumb?  You clearly know nothing about what you are pretending to have great insight on, again. Give it a break. You are painfully embarrassing to watch. 

On 5/27/2023 at 12:47 AM, Headbutt said:

You really are that dumb?  You clearly know nothing about what you are pretending to have great insight on, again. Give it a break. You are painfully embarrassing to watch. 

What are you blathering about? Are you suggesting they haven’t underperformed on the field relative to their recruiting?

On 5/26/2023 at 11:59 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

What are you blathering about? Are you suggesting they haven’t underperformed on the field relative to their recruiting?

Their recruiting is the biggest reason that they have underperformed on the the field.  I'm suggesting stating that you don't know a damn thing about CSU football.  Stick to breaking down the future of commuter colleges and try to stay in your lane when it comes to sports.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:56 AM, Headbutt said:

Their recruiting is the biggest reason that they have underperformed on the the field.  I'm suggesting stating that you don't know a damn thing about CSU football.  Stick to breaking down the future of commuter colleges and try to stay in your lane when it comes to sports.

In the last 5 years….(*not counting ‘23 recruiting class for obvious reasons)

CSU averaged the 4.4th best recruiting class (out of 12) per 247sports.  (4,6,5,3,4 in reverse order)

CSU averaged the 9.7th best record in MWC (out of 12) per ESPN. (9,10,10,9.5,10 in reverse order)

Not only is CSU the ONLY MWC school to have a top 1/2 recruiting class AND bottom 1/2 record every year, but they also have the greatest variance between the two (5.3).  The next closest was Wyoming (2.5).  However WYO’s was in the opposite direction, constantly being towards bottom half in recruiting and top half in performance (8.8 and 6.3 respectively)

@Green Infection owns minor mistakes like this. How are you going to handle this opportunity for accountability?

To be clear, I get it you don’t like me, I don’t care.  Your perception of me is not reality, I don’t care.  Will you learn from this? I value growth, so I do care about that! Are you there yet?

On 5/27/2023 at 2:48 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

To be clear, I get it, the whole board doesn’t like me because of my 4 years of trolling on this board.  Your perception of me is reality, I don’t care.  Will I ever learn I’m not wanted here? Will I ever move on?  No, because I don’t care. 

Paragraph fixed for accuracy. 

On 5/27/2023 at 2:48 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

In the last 5 years….(*not counting ‘23 recruiting class for obvious reasons)

CSU averaged the 4.4th best recruiting class (out of 12) per 247sports.  (4,6,5,3,4 in reverse order)

CSU averaged the 9.7th best record in MWC (out of 12) per ESPN. (9,10,10,9.5,10 in reverse order)

Not only is CSU the ONLY MWC school to have a top 1/2 recruiting class AND bottom 1/2 record every year, but they also have the greatest variance between the two (5.3).  The next closest was Wyoming (2.5).  However WYO’s was in the opposite direction, constantly being towards bottom half in recruiting and top half in performance (8.8 and 6.3 respectively)

@Green Infection owns minor mistakes like this. How are you going to handle this opportunity for accountability?

To be clear, I get it you don’t like me, I don’t care.  Your perception of me is not reality, I don’t care.  Will you learn from this? I value growth, so I do care about that! Are you there yet?

Good job Tiger, another swing and a miss though.  If only football were played on spreadsheets you'd be an ESPN analyst.  My point is that you don't know crap about CSU football. 

We've just been through a string of coaches that are very, very talented at teaching the game of football and developing talent.  OTOH, they can't recruit worth a crap.  247Sports rankings are a pretty lazy way to analyze a class.  It takes a little more effort to look and see if all the positions of need were addressed (never happened even once under Bobo), if the highly ranked players actually made it to campus and were not busts (another serious flaw in Bobo's approach), and if the ranking came as a result of quantity over quality (see Steve Addazio who would give a scholly to anyone who could fog a mirror).  Yeah, we've had well ranked classes for the last 5 years.  We've also been a revolving door for players in that same timeframe (even pre-portal).  Generally speaking, CSU players that bail on the team find a home on an equal or better team. 

I'm not going to waste my time building a spreadsheet so that you can comprehend, but if the coaches can't develop talent how did a lowly three star with minimal offers win the Mackey Award and become the first draft pick of the Arizona Cardinals?  If the recruiting is so great, and the development isn't, how did Bobo fail to recruit an offensive tackle right in his own back yard that walked on, started every game of his career, and made the All-Mountain West team?  Why did so many CSU WR's make it to the NFL?

Nobody here hates you, so get over the victim crap.  Folks just get tired of someone who doesn't know shit but demands that everyone take his word as gospel.

On 5/24/2023 at 5:20 PM, AztecSU said:

“NIL” wrecking the MW

Yes. Thank gawd SDSU won't be in the conference much longer.

And so there is no misunderstanding, with the definite exception of the University of Notta Lotta Victories and maybe also Colorado State and SJSU, I don't blame anybody for being unable to get out. Maybe the other schools haven't put as much money into elevating their football and men's hoops programs as has SDSU but they also aren't fortunate enough to have realized all the good luck SDSU has: being located in a major metro area; having competing NFL and NBA franchises leave the city without being replaced; being fortunate to have a local UC campus partner with us rather than shunning us; etc.

On 5/27/2023 at 4:37 PM, Headbutt said:

Good job Tiger, another swing and a miss though.  If only football were played on spreadsheets you'd be an ESPN analyst.  My point is that you don't know crap about CSU football. 

We've just been through a string of coaches that are very, very talented at teaching the game of football and developing talent.  OTOH, they can't recruit worth a crap.  247Sports rankings are a pretty lazy way to analyze a class.  It takes a little more effort to look and see if all the positions of need were addressed (never happened even once under Bobo), if the highly ranked players actually made it to campus and were not busts (another serious flaw in Bobo's approach), and if the ranking came as a result of quantity over quality (see Steve Addazio who would give a scholly to anyone who could fog a mirror).  Yeah, we've had well ranked classes for the last 5 years.  We've also been a revolving door for players in that same timeframe (even pre-portal).  Generally speaking, CSU players that bail on the team find a home on an equal or better team. 

I'm not going to waste my time building a spreadsheet so that you can comprehend, but if the coaches can't develop talent how did a lowly three star with minimal offers win the Mackey Award and become the first draft pick of the Arizona Cardinals?  If the recruiting is so great, and the development isn't, how did Bobo fail to recruit an offensive tackle right in his own back yard that walked on, started every game of his career, and made the All-Mountain West team?  Why did so many CSU WR's make it to the NFL?

Nobody here hates you, so get over the victim crap.  Folks just get tired of someone who doesn't know shit but demands that everyone take his word as gospel.

That’s a long way of saying that you let your feelings get in the way of facts.  Your point is lost, along with your argument.  Your ire is misguided, it’s ok though.  I would recommend not bringing so much emotion, especially when it’s hard to argue with my point successfully on this one.

Fresno lost so much it's hard to be very confident going into the season.  It's like a whole new team.  But, who knows?  Maybe Tedford pulls a rabbit out of his hat.  They're at SDS at the end of year.  Home to Boise, but so is SDS.

I suspect the skill guys will be fine, the question is the OL and QB.  If those positions pan out, Fresno will be in the thick of it.  If not, the Dogs are likely to have an off year.

Can't remember the last time Fresno had all saturday games for a season.

On 5/27/2023 at 1:37 PM, Headbutt said:

I admit, I obviously haven’t followed CSU football recruits other than what’s on paper. And I agree there’s much, much more to recruiting than just the paper part. But you’re still going to have a decent amount of the paper pan out, especially if you have coaches that supposedly develop players well.  

I’m sorrry, but I didn’t see Bobo develop shit. It never translated on the field. It reminds me of Polian. He recruited reasonably well, but couldn’t develop much. The only evidence I see is CSU being one of the worst G5’s in developing talent starting with Bobo coming on board.  I’m not talking smack, it’s just the obvious. 

kat.jpg

On 5/27/2023 at 2:37 PM, Headbutt said:

On 5/28/2023 at 10:22 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

That’s a long way of saying that you let your feelings get in the way of facts.  Your point is lost, along with your argument.  Your ire is misguided, it’s ok though.  I would recommend not bringing so much emotion, especially when it’s hard to argue with my point successfully on this one.

Hmmmm. Let me see. If I were looking for insider info on CSU who would I trust and go to? A well respected CSU fan that has been on this board for nearly 2 decades. A straight shooter to boot. 

or 

A talking baboon from Orlando that started following college sports in 2017. 

That’s a really tough choice. 

Air Force's Everett Smalley - the most decorated offensive lineman on the Air Force football team last fall - according to a newspaper article published on May 19th - HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE AIR FORCE FOOTBALL TEAM.  He is listed on the list on the first message in this thread as a member of the 1st Team All Mountain West selections.

At 6' 3 he was Air Force's starter at Left Tackle last season.   Neither the Air Force or this article mention the reason why he was removed from the football team.

With Smalley on the team Air Force would have been returning four of their 2022 starting offensive linemen for the 2023 season.  Now they return three of five.

https://gazette.com/sports/standout-left-tackle-everett-smalley-no-longer-a-member-of-the-air-force-football-team/article_a451327e-f6a0-11ed-bdf6-1ff4a0b15255.html

Smalley was a Junior last season and was to be a Senior next fall.

On 6/3/2023 at 9:15 AM, Bronco7454 said:

Air Force's Everett Smalley - the most decorated offensive lineman on the Air Force football team last fall - according to a newspaper article published on May 19th - HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE AIR FORCE FOOTBALL TEAM.  He is listed on the list on the first message in this thread as a member of the 1st Team All Mountain West selections.

At 6' 3 he was Air Force's starter at Left Tackle last season.   Neither the Air Force or this article mention the reason why he was removed from the football team.

With Smalley on the team Air Force would have been returning four of their 2022 starting offensive linemen for the 2023 season.  Now they return three of five.

https://gazette.com/sports/standout-left-tackle-everett-smalley-no-longer-a-member-of-the-air-force-football-team/article_a451327e-f6a0-11ed-bdf6-1ff4a0b15255.html

Smalley was a Junior last season and was to be a Senior next fall.

Boy does that open up speculation.  I guess instead of going that route, I'd like to point out that he was removed from the FB team, NOT the academy.  It would seem that the kid is still on track to achieve what people actually go to the academy to achieve.  Best of luck to the young man.

On 6/3/2023 at 3:23 PM, Headbutt said:

Boy does that open up speculation.  I guess instead of going that route, I'd like to point out that he was removed from the FB team, NOT the academy.  It would seem that the kid is still on track to achieve what people actually go to the academy to achieve.  Best of luck to the young man.

I heard he got really pissed and called coach, “Howdy Doody”. 

kat.jpg