Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Athlon College Preview (really long)

Recommended Posts

They really skimped on the MW content this year. Each MW team gets a paragraph and a half. It's very P5 centric. But I'll put the gist of it here. 

National Rank:

38) Boise
51) Air Force
66) Fresno
68) SDSU
85) SJSU
86) Wyoming
101) UNLV
102) USU
108) CSU
121) Hawaii
122) UNR
126) UNM

Unit Ranking:

Order; QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, LB, DB

AF: 11, 2, 12, 1, 1, 2, 1
Boise: 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 1
CSU: 5, 12, 2, 12, 5, 9, 3
Fresno: 4, 4, 5, 3, 4, 5, 6
Hawaii: 9, 8, 8, 9, 11, 11, 11
UNR: 12, 10, 9, 11, 8, 10, 12
UNM: 7, 11, 10, 10, 12, 12, 10
SDSU: 3, 5, 7, 7, 6, 4, 4
SJSU: 1, 7, 3, 5, 9, 7, 7
UNLV: 6, 6, 4, 6, 10, 8, 9
USU: 8, 9, 6, 8, 7, 6, 8
UW: 10, 3, 11, 4, 2, 1, 5

Recruiting by School:

68) Boise
69) CSU
77) Fresno
85) SDSU
102) AFA
107) UNR
110) SJSU
112) UW
114) Hawaii
116) USU
126) UNM
134) UNLV

All Conference:

1st Team Offense:

QB, Chevan Cordeiro, SJSU
RB, George Holani, Boise
RB, Ashton Jeanty, Boise
AP, Harrison Waylee, UW
WR, Tory Horton, CSU
WR, Ricky White, UNLV
WR, Justin Lockhart, SJSU
TE, Mark Redmon, SDSU
C, Thor Paglialong, AFA
OL, Everett Smalley, AFA
OL, Cade Beresford, Boise
OL, Cade Bennett, SDSU
OL, Frank Crum, UW

K, John Hoyland, UW
P, Jack Browning, SDSU
KR, Christian Washington, UNM
PR, Wory Horton, CSU

1st Team Defense:

DL, Mohamed Kamara, CSU
DL, Jordan Bertagnole, UW
DL, Cole Godbout, UW
DL, Payton Zdroik, AFA
LB, Easton Gobbs, UW
LB, DJ Shramm, Boise
LB, Alec Mock, AGA
CB, Cam Lockridge, FSU
CB, Cam Stone, UH
S, Jack Howell, CSU
S, Ike Larsen, USU

2nd Team Offense:

QB, Taylen Green, Boise
RB, Johne Lee Eldridge III, AFA
RB, Kairee Robinson, SJSU
AP, Tylan Hines, UH
WR Tyrell Vaughn, USU
WR, Stefan Cobbs, Boise
WR, Latrell Caples, Boise
TE Treyton Welch, UW
C, Nofoafia Tulafono, UW
OL, Mason Randolph, Boise
OL, Wesley Ndago, AFA
OL, Jacob Gardner, CSU
OL, Hacob Spomer, FSU

K, Jonah Dalmas, Boise
P, Aaron Rodriguez, UNM
KR, Terrell Vaughn, USU
PR, Cooper Jones, USU

2nd Team Defense:

DL, Jayden Thiergood, AFA
DL, Grady Kelly, CSU
DL, DeVonne Harris, UW
DL, Hale Motu'apuaka, USU
LB, Camby Goff, AFA
LB, Demetri Washington, Boise
LB MJ Tafisi, USU
CB, Donte Martin, UNM
CB, Lavelle Bailey, FSU
S, Trey Taylor, AFA
S, Tre Jenkins, SJSU

3rd Team Offense:

QB, Jalen Mayden, SDSU
RB, Sean Dollars, UNR
RB, Malik Sherrod, FSU
AP, Robert Briggs, USU
WR, Dalevon Campbell, UNR
WR, Erik Brooks, FSU
WR, Justus Ross-Simmons, CSU
TE, Riley Smith, Boise
C, CJ James, UNM
OL, Isiah World, UNR
OL, Mose Vavao, FSU
OL, Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson, SDSU
OL, Fernando Carmona, SJSU

K, Jack Browning, SDSU
P, Stephen Kotsanlee, USU
KR, Malik Sherrod, FSU
PR, Latrell Caples, Boise

Returning Starters:

Offense, Defense:

AFA - 6, 7 (13)
Boise - 9, 5 (14)
CSU - 4, 8 (12)
FSU - 4, 7 (11)
UH - 3, 7 (10)
UNR - 4, 6 (10)
UNM - 4, 2 (6)
SDSU - 4, 2 (6)
SJSU - 7, 6 (13)
UNLV - 5, 6 (11)
USU - 4, 4 (8)
UW - 5, 10 (15)

Top MW Recruits:

1) Damian Henderson II, RB, CSU
2) Jambres Dubar, RB, Boise
3) Taliafi Taala, OT, USU
4) Javance Tupou'ata-Johnson, QB, SDSU
5) Chase Davis, S, USU
6) CJ Tiller, QB, Boise
7) Kennedy McDowell, EDGE, CSU
8) Jordan Napier, WR, SDSU
9) Bo Edmondson, QB, UNLV
10) Brady Nassar, EDGE, SDSU

Nationally Ranked Recruits:

40) Javance Tupou'ata-Johnson, QB, SDSU
30) Damien Henderson II, RB, CSU
37) Jambres Duber, RB, Boise
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

USU went from 10 returning starters on defense to 4. Thanks transfer portal and NIL. FML. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without even looking at the prognostications, I can tell you the results.

Somehow, once again, Utah State will be highly undervalued in preseason Team and Individual Recognitions and and will be completely under represented in Year End Individual Recognitions.

That's fine.  Utah State just uses it for extra bulletin board material.  The only thing that actually matters is the real W/L Record and Bowl Game Invites/Victories.

Preseason Recognitions, and to some degree Year End Recognitions are nothing more than popularity contests and beauty pageants.

They are of zero value and are really just a joke.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 2:23 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Boise State football: ALWAYS the MWC champion*

 

 

* in the preseason

Water is wet, fire is hot, Boise is preseason favorite in football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 2:38 PM, madmartigan said:

USU went from 10 returning starters on defense to 4. Thanks transfer portal and NIL. FML. 

To be honest, it wasn't encouraging going through what everyone lost. Everyone seems to have some holes to fill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have some questions for fans, as some of these returning starters isn't totally accurate. For example, Boise has 3 returning on the OL, but that doesn't include returner OG Ben Dooley who was the multi year starter, but missed last season with an injury and he will be back. I'm certain there are many others out there. So who are the players on your team that aren't included as a returning starter that should be? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 2:38 PM, madmartigan said:

USU went from 10 returning starters on defense to 4. Thanks transfer portal and NIL. FML. 

I feel you man.  It's frustrating when you think you have the foundation to build on and then poof.  It's gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 2:56 PM, Wyobraska said:

I feel you man.  It's frustrating when you think you have the foundation to build on and then poof.  It's gone.

If we could somehow mold our programs strengths (wyo's d and USU O)- we would be an unstoppable team!

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 1:48 PM, kingpotato said:

To be honest, it wasn't encouraging going through what everyone lost. Everyone seems to have some holes to fill.

Particularly coming off of the worst year the league has ever had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 3:57 PM, bigd said:

Particularly coming off of the worst year the league has ever had. 

That's what I was thinking. You'd hope for a bounce back, but they have a hill to climb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 4:12 PM, BacksThePack said:

Not a single player on the top 2 teams is rough

I know 2 things for sure:

1. We don’t have the 12th ranked LB group. I guess they didn’t catch all the transfers we brought in including the 2 Oregon studs. And the depth is just sick. We’re easily in the Top 3, maybe even #1.

2. Apparently they didn’t know Brandon Talton was coming back for a 2nd senior season because he’s easily the best FG kicker in the MWC. As a freshman walk-on, he kicked this walk off 56 yarder against Purdue that would’ve been good at 60. The ball was set less than a foot short of the 47 yard line which is a shame because it should’ve been recorded as a 57 yarder. His accuracy is just as good as his range. 


Career Longest FG’s

56  Talton Nevada
55  Hoyland Wyoming
52  Browning SDSU
51  Dalmas Boise


 

kat.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 8:00 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I know 2 things for sure:

1. We don’t have the 12th ranked LB group. I guess they didn’t catch all the transfers we brought in including the 2 Oregon studs. And the depth is just sick. We’re easily in the Top 3, maybe even #1.

2. Apparently they didn’t know Brandon Talton was coming back for a 2nd senior season because he’s easily the best FG kicker in the MWC. As a freshman walk-on, he kicked this walk off 56 yarder against Purdue that would’ve been good at 60. The ball was set less than a foot short of the 47 yard line which is a shame because it should’ve been recorded as a 57 yarder. His accuracy is just as good as his range. 


Career Longest FG’s

56  Talton Nevada
55  Hoyland Wyoming
52  Browning SDSU
51  Dalmas Boise


 

Well perhaps Dalmas is a better kicker?  He has a better career FG % than Talton at 88.9% vs 80.0% and extra point % at 98.3% vs 96.1%.  He's also better from 40+ yards - 83.3% vs 70.0%.  Why the hell should he be ranked ahead of him?  Solely because his longest FG is 5 yards longer than Dalmas?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, kingpotato said:

I have some questions for fans, as some of these returning starters isn't totally accurate. For example, Boise has 3 returning on the OL, but that doesn't include returner OG Ben Dooley who was the multi year starter, but missed last season with an injury and he will be back. I'm certain there are many others out there. So who are the players on your team that aren't included as a returning starter that should be? 

Where are you seeing the returning starters?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 9:38 PM, Fowl said:

Where are you seeing the returning starters?

Didn't look like a lot for the tecs. But they tend to reload. I'm guessing there are some players that missed last season that'll be back, no? Even with few players coming back, SDSU is still getting the benefit of the doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 9:33 PM, Fowl said:

Well perhaps Dalmas is a better kicker?  He has a better career FG % than Talton at 88.9% vs 80.0% and extra point % at 98.3% vs 96.1%.  He's also better from 40+ yards - 83.3% vs 70.0%.  Why the hell should he be ranked ahead of him?  Solely because his longest FG is 5 yards longer than Dalmas?

 

 

Very strange to base something on one kick four years ago. Not like 56 yards is some miraculous feat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 3:54 PM, kingpotato said:

I have some questions for fans, as some of these returning starters isn't totally accurate. For example, Boise has 3 returning on the OL, but that doesn't include returner OG Ben Dooley who was the multi year starter, but missed last season with an injury and he will be back. I'm certain there are many others out there. So who are the players on your team that aren't included as a returning starter that should be? 

I used to consider 'returning starters' as a pretty important metric in guessing how a team was going to do next season.  Anymore, I don't find it meaningless but it's lost a lot of value.  The portal has changed all that.  Starters move on, and new folks show up.  Sometimes that's a detriment, sometimes it's a blessing.  CSU lost four starters on the O-line and I couldn't be happier with their replacements.  CSU lost their two starting LB's and I'm very, very concerned about that.  I guarantee there are similar stories on every team.  That chart of returning starters has really become meaningless IMO.  I'm much more interested in the experience and past performance of the new starters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...