Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grandjean87

De Santis to Announce This Week

On 5/23/2023 at 9:17 PM, grandjean87 said:

Split ticket voting saw a  decline to almost a half century back (or thereabouts).  Even in the Reagan era the cross party approvals were in the 30s (%).   By Trump, it was in the 80% range.  That means almost all Rs support Rs and disapprove of Ds and the same in reverse.  

The EC works (nationally) like a district single member plurality vote.  It helps the Rs at the presidential level.  As for all the rest, it's all pretty dynamic.  Recent gerrymandering limiting contested CDs may not hold.  Stay tuned. 

You used to get a second state like Missouri, or North Dakota that had a D Senator they liked and reliably voted for , yet they would also reliably give their electoral votes to R presidential candidates. Those days are long gone, as the political positions of parties have polarized. The dems used to really relate to the Midwestern working family, but now more commonly reflect the values of the urban minority  working family. This trend accelerated with Obama, and Trump Capitalized on it in 2016. 

On 5/23/2023 at 10:56 PM, Bob said:

He’s my guy. I’m riding with DeSantis

I was totally with him until his reelection, then he went off the rails. 

I don’t have an issue with homosexuality, nor trans (unless it involves sports).  

Women have the right to choose, well beyond 6 weeks. 

Conceal carry without a permit, shit I’m coming from Idaho that is an open carry state. All of my Florida friends that have a conceal carry permit have said that they will renew it. Better to have one if it ever comes to that.  

On 5/23/2023 at 9:45 PM, bornontheblue said:

You used to get a second state like Missouri, or North Dakota that had a D Senator they liked and reliably voted for , yet they would also reliably give their electoral votes to R presidential candidates. Those days are long gone, as the political positions of parties have polarized. The dems used to really relate to the Midwestern working family, but now more commonly reflect the values of the urban minority  working family. This trend accelerated with Obama, and Trump Capitalized on it in 2016. 

Cross party approvals and split ticket voting peaked in the 1970s.  But, things are dynamic.  I don't have a crystal ball, but change will occur including the voting pop.  

On 5/23/2023 at 3:47 PM, bornontheblue said:

Haven't you heard. If Trump is reelected he is just going to call it the 1st term do over and he can try to get a third term. 

Only if Harlan Crow allows it.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 5/23/2023 at 3:57 PM, grandjean87 said:

Fascist is hyperbolic, but the guy has taken actions and messaged in a number ways that echo Orban's authoritarianism in Hungary (or a Trump wet dream). The actions against Disney for basically "speech" is concerning (and stoopid).  His framing and actions of the hot button sexuality issues are political strategy, but they are concerning regarding 1st Amendment rights. 

The Florida Leg introducing bills like blogger registrations and banning CRT teaching in higher ed with RdS nodding in politically motivated agreement are also leaning into the authoritarian mold.  There's more in many articles.  I could link, but an easy Google search will bring plenty to digest.

This really isn't new -- use of power to punish and leverage wedge issues.  A few years back in NC, iirc, a sitting governor lost election, his party controlled the leg, and in a lame duck session they stripped a handful of powers from the governor's office before the other party took over.  But, that's the kind of stuff that has happened across the post-Cold War democracies and seems to be more and more at risk here.  

You forgot forcing College Professors and Administrators having to register their Political affiliations with the State of Florida. Coupled with the hostile takeover of Universities by DeSantis cronies and lap dogs. 

If they haven't already, they soon will outlaw the teaching of CRT and Global Climate Change on the University level.

Death Santis politics amounts to

ignore go away GIF by Clasharama

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 5/24/2023 at 9:18 AM, Spaztecs said:

You forgot forcing College Professors and Administrators having to register their Political affiliations with the State of Florida. Coupled with the hostile takeover of Universities by DeSantis cronies and lap dogs. 

If they haven't already, they soon will outlaw the teaching of CRT and Global Climate Change on the University level.

Death Santis politics amounts to

ignore go away GIF by Clasharama

I mentioned the proposed CRT ban in (public) higher ed, and noted "There's more in many articles".  Wasn't trying to be all inclusive. 

I see DeSantis as primarily politically motivated as opposed to ideologically driven as are many who support certain positions.  He's a political shape shifter.  I don't see him transactional as is Trump. To be fair, I've only recently read and looked into RDS in much detail, and his Disney thing doesn't look very smart from afar, but I'm not moving to Spain or Ireland if he ends up as #47. 

People like @Nevada Convert and @thelawlorfaithful told me this goober would really be a threat. Joke of a candidate, may not get within 10 points of Trump in any race

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

On 5/24/2023 at 1:14 PM, youngredbullfan said:

People like @Nevada Convert and @thelawlorfaithful told me this goober would really be a threat. Joke of a candidate, may not get within 10 points of Trump in any race

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 5/24/2023 at 4:57 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

When he looses this election I hope democrats in Flordia can take a chance and beat him.

What’s the point, Florida has a two term limit. He’ll be running for senate if Trump loses and if Trump wins he will likely take a White House role after his second term.  

On 5/24/2023 at 3:53 PM, grandjean87 said:

Only posting to irritate lawlor :)

Lol. He is not wrong. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 5/24/2023 at 3:57 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

When he looses this election I hope democrats in Flordia can take a chance and beat him.

They can't.

Florida Gov is term limited.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.