Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

What G5 Has the Record For the Highest Payout Playing @ a P5?

On 5/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, soupslam1 said:

That’s not chump change to get your ass kicked. I’d go in the ring with Mike Tyson and go down with the first punch for that payday. 

Yes, that payday boosts the AD budget and floats all boats as they say.

However, how many of these body bag Schools recover from such a demoralizing beat down ? 

Not just the morale beater, but the physical toll and injuries you're squad endures by playing against a Team that is literally bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic.

Sometimes, money isn't the answer.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 5/18/2023 at 10:45 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Two threads in a week bragging on how much a team gets paid to get bodybagged?  :facepalm:

Meh....it's not like SDSU hasn't scheduled body bag games with Michigan and Ohio State among others. Nevada has one of the lowest budgets in the MWC, so that payout is a important....let him have his posts. 

Need to score 22 points and cover the spread to do better than UNLV!  As much as I like to bag on him, do you guys know if Sandoval used his connections there to get this done?  If so, good on him.

In seriousness, I think Ohio State is at a bit of a crossroads right now.  They need to get back to beating Michigan and win another NC, or I think Ryan Day's seat might get hot.  Your timing is pretty good if Day flames out in the next two or three years and they make a bad hire.  I'm not saying Reno will win, but if OSU has slipped and Reno brings one of their better teams in there, I could see something like a nailbiter into the 4th quarter.  

On 5/18/2023 at 8:45 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Two threads in a week bragging on how much a team gets paid to get bodybagged?  :facepalm:

I’m not bragging, it’s a simple question. I HATE this crap. This is what crappy programs do. What Nevada needs is their president to step up and fund athletics.

Whatever the 3rd or 4th highest athletic budget is in the MWC, that should be what it’s funded at. Asking donors and counting on body bag games to fund the basics in your program is embarrassing. 

Now the donor money is what you can use on facilities, but there should also be university funding for a lot of that, too. With all the big money companies in Reno now, there’s no excuse not to be bringing big coin. 

kat.jpg

On 5/18/2023 at 9:09 AM, Slapdad said:

Meh....it's not like SDSU hasn't scheduled body bag games with Michigan and Ohio State among others. Nevada has one of the lowest budgets in the MWC, so that payout is a important....let him have his posts. 

And let me have mine.  

On 5/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, Nevada Convert said:

I’m not bragging, it’s a simple question. I HATE this crap. This is what crappy programs do. What Nevada needs is their president to step up and fund athletics.

Whatever the 3rd or 4th highest athletic budget is in the MWC, that should be what it’s funded at. Asking donors and counting on body bag games to fund the basics in your program is embarrassing. 

Now the donor money is what you can use on facilities, but there should also be university funding for a lot of that, too. With all the big money companies in Reno now, there’s no excuse not to be bringing big coin. 

How much of a deficit is the ad already running?  Reno isn't exactly a rich multi-billion dollar endowment public, so where's the money, Lebowski? And while I think the AAU talk is pure nonsense, Sandoval does seem sincerely committed to getting Reno to the next level academically, so perhaps he just has his priorities in the right place. 

On 5/18/2023 at 9:14 AM, RebelAlliance said:

Need to score 22 points and cover the spread to do better than UNLV!  As much as I like to bag on him, do you guys know if Sandoval used his connections there to get this done?  If so, good on him.

In seriousness, I think Ohio State is at a bit of a crossroads right now.  They need to get back to beating Michigan and win another NC, or I think Ryan Day's seat might get hot.  Your timing is pretty good if Day flames out in the next two or three years and they make a bad hire.  I'm not saying Reno will win, but if OSU has slipped and Reno brings one of their better teams in there, I could see something like a nailbiter into the 4th quarter.  

Don't have much hope, same with USC this year. Some programs seem to step up for body bag games and make them competitive or even pull of the occasional upset, but Nevada since the Ault years has always just embarrassed ourselves in early season games against top, or even middling p5 programs. 

Losing 6-77 to Oregon and 7-62 to Florida State come to mind. Those scores shouldn't be feasible for teams playing in the same division. I worry that USC and Ohio State will be similar...

On 5/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, Nevada Convert said:

They already are.  Significantly.

https://www.sportico.com/business/commerce/2021/college-sports-finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/18/2023 at 12:05 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

And let me have mine.  

Interesting point. 

Carry on! 

On 5/18/2023 at 11:04 AM, bigd said:

Don't have much hope, same with USC this year. Some programs seem to step up for body bag games and make them competitive or even pull of the occasional upset, but Nevada since the Ault years has always just embarrassed ourselves in early season games against top, or even middling p5 programs. 

Losing 6-77 to Oregon and 7-62 to Florida State come to mind. Those scores shouldn't be feasible for teams playing in the same division. I worry that USC and Ohio State will be similar...

The funny thing about the Florida St. game is we were up 7-3 with a couple of minutes left in the first half. We were playing on adrenaline, and it wears off, and the track meet started and it was 17-3 at HT. That was the year FSU won the title game, and the funny thing is we held them to the fewest points in the 1st half for the entire season until the title game with Auburn I think it was. The 2nd half was cruel. 

kat.jpg

On 5/18/2023 at 1:33 PM, utenation said:

This is a cool link. How accurate are these numbers? I read the disclaimer at the bottom. 

* shrugs *

more accurate than your average tweet, i suppose...

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/18/2023 at 11:21 AM, RSF said:

We’re in 9th place in the MWC in AD budget. It rose recently, but that was just getting us out of FCS territory. I think I’ll make a graph for spending/revenue for total, FB and BB for the MWC and compare. 

kat.jpg

On 5/18/2023 at 1:05 PM, RSF said:

* shrugs *

more accurate than your average tweet, i suppose...

Just a quick spot check, not too far off EADA numbers which is where I believe The USA Today pulls numbers. 

I just like the format of your link, much quicker.  But no private schools. 

On 5/18/2023 at 2:20 PM, Nevada Convert said:

We’re in 9th place in the MWC in AD budget. It rose recently, but that was just getting us out of FCS territory. 

So, more subsidies and divert more money away from academics?  Or raise the student fee component and soak the students some more?  Both?

On 5/18/2023 at 2:22 PM, utenation said:

Just a quick spot check, not too far off EADA numbers which is where I believe The USA Today pulls numbers. 

I just like the format of your link, much quicker.  But no private schools. 

no private schools in the USA Today numbers either.