Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gonzagafan2021

Big Ten has already invited Oregon and Washington

On 5/13/2023 at 3:20 AM, utgrizfan said:

IF this is true (a big IF) I'm expecting this to be the body blow for the PAC12 that takes it down. Would probably have the following occur:

-4 Corners go to the Big12 making it the Big16 (as they're open to rebranding the name)

-Cal and Stanford go Independent 

-OSU and WSU merge with the MWC creating a 14 team league.

Big 12 already holds copyright privileges to big 16 so that works.  I wouldn’t be surprised if just two PAC schools joined though.

Unless the PAC dissolves then I see the MWC merging with the PAC, not the other way around.  Semantics perhaps but more likely.

If Cal and Stanford go Indy I don’t see them joining a conference until ND decides to join.  Since ND is obligated to the ACC contractually until the terminus of their deal (and GOR) and they aren’t joining that stalled ship anyway, that means we’re looking at a long wait there.  Honestly if the BIG does indeed take OrWa but not CaliStan I just don’t see ‘power’ affiliation happening afterwards.  

On 5/13/2023 at 2:32 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Big 12 already holds copyright privileges to big 16 so that works.  I wouldn’t be surprised if just two PAC schools joined though.

Unless the PAC dissolves then I see the MWC merging with the PAC, not the other way around.  Semantics perhaps but more likely.

If Cal and Stanford go Indy I don’t see them joining a conference until ND decides to join.  Since ND is obligated to the ACC contractually until the terminus of their deal (and GOR) and they aren’t joining that stalled ship anyway, that means we’re looking at a long wait there.  Honestly if the BIG does indeed take OrWa but not CaliStan I just don’t see ‘power’ affiliation happening afterwards.  

Cal and Stanford would cut their own deals like BYU did, probably with ESPN, and if they maintained P5 quality schedules, I’m sure they would be treated as P5’s by most or all of the 4 remaining power conferences like BYU was. 

You’d definitely see them both scheduling a fair amount of MWC schools to fill their schedules in October and November just like BYU did. 

It’s hard to say how both would do as Indy’s. Support for Stanford football isn’t that great, but I would think eventually that someone will pick up 1 of the 2 for the Bay Area market. 

kat.jpg

On 5/13/2023 at 6:08 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Cal and Stanford would cut their own deals like BYU did, probably with ESPN, and if they maintained P5 quality schedules, I’m sure they would be treated as P5’s by most or all of the 4 remaining power conferences like BYU was. 

You’d definitely see them both scheduling a fair amount of MWC schools to fill their schedules in October and November. 

I agree overall I would just worry about putting too much faith in espn handing out many more deals.  They could add onto current deals but with the turnover they’re having at the upper levels of their sports business arm I don’t think much ‘new’ is getting done for a while.  Last I heard the most they would be willing to do is to license one game/week off Apple+ but there were stipulations that made Apple uneasy.  Further I’m not sure that as independents they’ll be able to compete for recruits very well without changing their perspective on NIL, and they were already falling behind in recruiting anyway.  

On 5/13/2023 at 3:16 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I agree overall I would just worry about putting too much faith in espn handing out many more deals.  They could add onto current deals but with the turnover they’re having at the upper levels of their sports business arm I don’t think much ‘new’ is getting done for a while.  Last I heard the most they would be willing to do is to license one game/week off Apple+ but there were stipulations that made Apple uneasy.  Further I’m not sure that as independents they’ll be able to compete for recruits very well without changing their perspective on NIL, and they were already falling behind in recruiting anyway.  

I’m just thinking out of the box. Let’s assume we got Stanford and CAL to join.  Let’s say we got rid of the 2 divisions based on geography and went with 2 divisions where the division members would be reviewed after every season on past performance.

The idea being that the A Division gets as close as possible to being P5 quality to benefit in getting great 1 for 1’s, like how BYU was recognized with the B1G. 

I would have the Top 8 MWC teams in the A Division, and the rest in the B Division.  Obviously, the top 8 would all play each other and play 2 B Division schools. That would give them 3 OOC games. FCS games for A Division schools would be frowned upon. The idea is to get a higher strength of schedule for semi-P5 status for only the A Division. Rough hypothetical for 2023:

A Division 
Boise St.
SDSU
Air Force
Oregon St.
Stanford 
CAL
Washington St.
Fresno St.

B Division
Nevada
San Jose St. 
Colorado St.
Wyoming
Utah St.
UNLV
Hawaii
New Mexico

kat.jpg

On 5/13/2023 at 6:54 AM, Nevada Convert said:

I’m just thinking out of the box. Let’s assume we got Stanford and CAL to join.  Let’s say we got rid of the 2 divisions based on geography and went with 2 divisions where the division members would be reviewed after every season on past performance.

The idea being that the A Division gets as close as possible to being P5 quality to benefit in getting great 1 for 1’s, like how BYU was recognized with the B1G. 

I would have the Top 8 MWC teams in the A Division, and the rest in the B Division.  Obviously, the top 8 would all play each other and play 2 B Division schools. That would give them 3 OOC games. FCS games for A Division schools would be frowned upon. The idea is to get a higher strength of schedule for semi-P5 status for only the A Division. Rough hypothetical for 2023:

A Division 
Boise St.
SDSU
Air Force
Oregon St.
Stanford 
CAL
Washington St.
Fresno St.

B Division
Nevada
San Jose St. 
Colorado St.
Wyoming
Utah St.
UNLV
Hawaii
New Mexico

I like the idea of relegation but I don’t think the other conferences will allow another ‘power’ conference to compete with just 8 members.  I would expect that there would be discussions on competitive balance fairness or something along those lines.  Honestly 16 is a good number altogether.  Imagine if all leagues went to 16 but then had A and B relegation..

On 5/13/2023 at 5:30 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I like the idea of relegation but I don’t think the other conferences will allow another ‘power’ conference to compete with just 8 members.  I would expect that there would be discussions on competitive balance fairness or something along those lines.  Honestly 16 is a good number altogether.  Imagine if all leagues went to 16 but then had A and B relegation..

I’m not saying the MWC would immediately be considered a power conference, but close enough to where the Top 8 would get the BYU treatment in scheduling home and homes consistently with power schools. Then the next step could be power. I would guess a MWC-16 like this could probably get a $12 million per school TV deal, maybe a bit more with inflation. 

kat.jpg

On 5/13/2023 at 8:58 AM, Nevada Convert said:

I’m not saying the MWC would immediately be considered a power conference, but close enough to where the Top 8 would get the BYU treatment in scheduling home and homes consistently with power schools. Then the next step could be power. I would guess a MWC-16 like this could probably get a $12 million per school TV deal, maybe a bit more with inflation. 

I would definitely take PAC name and push that conference as a power one from the start.  Nobody will give you extra credit later unfortunately.  People are pulling up ladders, not extending them. 

On 5/13/2023 at 6:03 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I would definitely take PAC name and push that conference as a power one from the start.  Nobody will give you extra credit later unfortunately.  People are pulling up ladders, not extending them. 

Yeah, good point. 

kat.jpg

On 5/11/2023 at 4:18 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

Well I guess that means Washington State and Oregon State are coming to the MWC

Sorry, MW squads will join what's left of the Pac.

It's a far more valuable brand and will be in possession of all those exit fees and Tourney Credits to help lure in potential candidates. 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 5/13/2023 at 5:03 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You mean like the aac and their P6 push? And is that still a thing?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 5/13/2023 at 4:54 AM, Nevada Convert said:

A Division 
Boise St.
SDSU
Air Force
Oregon St.
Stanford 
CAL
Washington St.
Fresno St.

B Division
Nevada
San Jose St. 
Colorado St.
Wyoming
Utah St.
UNLV
Hawaii
New Mexico

Go ahead and put SDSU in the losers Division 

They are fast losing athletes in the program and in the recruiting /Transfer wars because they can't compete in the NIL game.

I don't think a move to the Pac can save them.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 5/13/2023 at 7:47 AM, Spaztecs said:

They are fast losing athletes in the program and in the recruiting /Transfer wars because they can't compete in the NIL game.

Dude, you were saying the same apocalyptic doom about the BB team in February, and they went to the championship game. Chill a bit. 

kat.jpg

On 5/13/2023 at 7:45 AM, LoboMan59 said:

The optics would’ve been a bit different if the AAC had moved into the BIG-12 with 4 existing BIG-12 schools being there and adding a few AAC schools that were at the P5 level. 

kat.jpg

On 5/13/2023 at 10:45 AM, LoboMan59 said:

Well the p6 thing worked in getting one of their teams to the playoff and then worked in getting that 6th conference added to the new playoffs. So it’s easy to make fun of them from your lower perch on the tree but Aresco/aac did the heavy lifting for the G5 on that one, if it were up to the PAC/big12/etc there wouldn’t be an A6, just A5.  Probably best to let that one go ;)

That said he did just release a somewhat cringey statement saying they’re dropping P6 due to it advancing perceived inequities in cfb.  So once again he’s fighting the good fight for your conference and others..the MWC is the last conference that should make fun of Aresco but there’s always going to be those types out there.

On 5/14/2023 at 6:56 AM, RebelRobert said:

Small is better. All of you won’t be coming with us to the next conference. We will pick and choose who makes sense. 

Peewee Football Player Grooves Away On The Sidelines GIF by ViralHog

110926run_defense710.jpg

On 5/13/2023 at 7:47 AM, Spaztecs said:

Spaztecs pretending to be an Aztecs fan...

giphy.gif.f0b37dd47702622bb9a70f677c278bc6.gif

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 5/13/2023 at 3:08 AM, Nevada Convert said:

You’d definitely see them both scheduling a fair amount of MWC schools to fill their schedules in October and November just like BYU did. 

It’s hard to say how both would do as Indy’s. Support for Stanford football isn’t that great, but I would think eventually that someone will pick up 1 of the 2 for the Bay Area market. 

Not hard at all.

CAL sports are all dog crap: https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/114397

STANFORD football attendance was 10th in the Pac-12 last season: https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/ranking-pac-12-teams-by-average-attendance-in-2022#gid=ci02b8bac4200125d6&pid=9-cal

When the Pac-8 was created, the two were nationally-respected charter members. Sixty-five years later they remain solid members but only because of their academics and location.

PAC should invite a couple of teams ASAP to give those teams a year or two of upgraded recruiting opportunities to improve their sports rankings.  Should Oregon and Washington leave after that, the PAC will still have a chance of surviving.