Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old_SD_Dude

MLS to Snapdragon

On 5/19/2023 at 1:42 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

NHL generated a little over 5B last year, very easy info to find. Sifting through some Google results it seems MLS league revenue last year was about a billion, maybe a little more. Yes, NHL franchises are more valuable than MLS, but not as much as you would think considering the NHL generates 3-4 times the revenue. Sure the top NHL franchises blow the top MLS franchises out the water, but the top 10 MLS franchises would all fit in the range of an average NHL franchise.

again, we have no idea what MLS revenues are.  Nobody talks about SUM (example: everytime the Mexican NT or club team plays in the US, SUM makes money).  Nobody knows what the stadiums generate.  But the owners do.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

On 5/19/2023 at 12:12 PM, RSF said:

again, we have no idea what MLS revenues are.  Nobody talks about SUM (example: everytime the Mexican NT or club team plays in the US, SUM makes money).  Nobody knows what the stadiums generate.  But the owners do.

Well you can find estimates online. I am pretty the reason we don’t know exactly what MLS revenues are is because they are much smaller then the NHL, and MLS officially publicizing that would hurt their narrative that the “Big 4” sports leagues in the U.S. are now the “Big 5”. 

On 5/18/2023 at 8:05 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Apparently it’s just going to be SDFC. I hope so. I think the adding “Inter” or “Real” or “United” to brand new teams over here is really dumb. 

Utd, not so much. Real is stupid. SCSD. Sporting Club San Diego. With SC being a nod to So Cal.

On 5/20/2023 at 5:21 PM, DoubleBlueGold said:

Utd, not so much. Real is stupid. SCSD. Sporting Club San Diego. With SC being a nod to So Cal.

That would be fine with me. United is really stupid too. Teams in the UK were called “United” after two teams in the same city combined, usually under financial duress. Over here it’s just dumb. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 5/19/2023 at 2:36 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

Well you can find estimates online. I am pretty the reason we don’t know exactly what MLS revenues are is because they are much smaller then the NHL, and MLS officially publicizing that would hurt their narrative that the “Big 4” sports leagues in the U.S. are now the “Big 5”. 

Estimates.  Lol.

Btw...that describes the revenue of every other league.  I'm pretty sure the reason is they are all private businesses.

Here's another estimate.  Value of MLS teams.  A collective 16.3 billion dollars.  Divide that by 28 (St Louis being a new team) and you get more than that 500 million expansion fee.

https://www.sportico.com/feature/mls-soccer-team-value-ranking-1234689586/

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

On 5/20/2023 at 7:33 PM, RSF said:

Estimates.  Lol.

Btw...that describes the revenue of every other league.  I'm pretty sure the reason is they are all private businesses.

Here's another estimate.  Value of MLS teams.  A collective 16.3 billion dollars.  Divide that by 28 (St Louis being a new team) and you get more than that 500 million expansion fee.

https://www.sportico.com/feature/mls-soccer-team-value-ranking-1234689586/

I don’t really care either way. I don’t watch MLS and I don’t watch NHL, although I enjoy watching soccer more. As far as your link, my whole question is WHY the franchises are being valued so high, not wether they are. I think the values are based on a bunch of speculation, because their TV deal is a pile of dog shit and the league doesn’t generate much revenue when compared to the least valuable Big 4 league.