Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old_SD_Dude

MLS to Snapdragon

Recommended Posts

Apparently it’s just going to be SDFC. I hope so. I think the adding “Inter” or “Real” or “United” to brand new teams over here is really dumb. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I honestly don’t understand how MLS franchises are that valuable. I get that the league is based in the richest country in the world and all, but their TV deal only pays out a little more than 8M per team. The stadiums are small so they can’t be generating THAT much in terms of ticket and game day revenue. But they are the 9th most valuable soccer league in the world?

https://www.essentiallysports.com/soccer-football-news-months-after-2-5-billion-news-mls-leaves-behind-the-mighty-dutch-league-as-it-enters-top-10-in-most-valuable-rankings/amp/

Is this all purely based on speculation? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2023 at 10:36 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

I honestly don’t understand how MLS franchises are that valuable. I get that the league is based in the richest country in the world and all, but their TV deal only pays out a little more than 8M per team. The stadiums are small so they can’t be generating THAT much in terms of ticket and game day revenue. But they are the 9th most valuable soccer league in the world?

https://www.essentiallysports.com/soccer-football-news-months-after-2-5-billion-news-mls-leaves-behind-the-mighty-dutch-league-as-it-enters-top-10-in-most-valuable-rankings/amp/

Is this all purely based on speculation? 

The league’s been around now for almost 30 years so you would think we’re beyond the speculation stage. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2023 at 10:12 PM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

 

I already did.  Don't waste your time....

 

Is that the source of your infection Pokey?

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2023 at 8:32 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Is that the source of your infection?

 

More of a byproduct/symptom.

By definition, HC MJN-III leaving the Reno-Sparks Metroplex for Ft Fun, NoColo was the "source."

 

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/legendary-wolf-pack-coach-chris-ault-dubs-jay-norvells-return-to-reno-green-infection

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2023 at 10:36 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

I honestly don’t understand how MLS franchises are that valuable. I get that the league is based in the richest country in the world and all, but their TV deal only pays out a little more than 8M per team. <---I That's HUGE $$$ compared to the MWC's TV Deal

The stadiums are small so they can’t be generating THAT much in terms of ticket and game day revenue. But they are the 9th most valuable soccer league in the world?

https://www.essentiallysports.com/soccer-football-news-months-after-2-5-billion-news-mls-leaves-behind-the-mighty-dutch-league-as-it-enters-top-10-in-most-valuable-rankings/amp/

Is this all purely based on speculation? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2023 at 8:31 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

The league’s been around now for almost 30 years so you would think we’re beyond the speculation stage. 

Yea, but it’s the only reason I can think of for the league being valued as it is. I mean, can you explain it? The numbers don’t seem to add up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2023 at 8:05 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Apparently it’s just going to be SDFC. I hope so. I think the adding “Inter” or “Real” or “United” to brand new teams over here is really dumb. 


 

I agree, however some ppl (not me of course) might accuse you of copying BIG Brother just 123-mi up I-8/I-805/I-5/I-405/I-110 a piece.

 

¡VIVA LAFC!

 

IMG_5908.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2023 at 9:02 AM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

 

I agree, however some (not me of course) might accuse you of copying BIG Brother just 123-mi up I-8/I-805I-5/I-405/I-110 a piece.

 

¡VIVA LAFC!

 

I would say “football club” is a sufficiently generic term. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2023 at 8:56 AM, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, but it’s the only reason I can think of for the league being valued as it is. I mean, can you explain it? The numbers don’t seem to add up. 

I don’t know enough about it tbh. I do know the rigid wage structure/salary cap is far more owner friendly than you’ll see in any other league. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2023 at 8:56 AM, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, but it’s the only reason I can think of for the league being valued as it is. I mean, can you explain it? The numbers don’t seem to add up. 

 

I'm no expert.  However the 2-yrs I spent in the Music Industry, would lead me to GUESS:

Merch

Concessions 

Prk'g

VIP Experiences 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2023 at 11:04 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I don’t know enough about it tbh. I do know the rigid wage structure/salary cap is far more owner friendly than you’ll see in any other league. 

There's a lot of holes in the MLS salary cap, to0.  Designated Players, Targeted Allocated Money, General Allocation Money.  It's all very convoluted.  If a team wants to spend money, there are workarounds.

 

As for value, if a billionaire is willing to drop 500 million on an expansion team, then that's your justification for value.  And as a single entity league, they're not really buying a franchise.  They're buying a piece of the league itself.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2023 at 9:39 AM, RSF said:

There's a lot of holes in the MLS salary cap, to0.  Designated Players, Targeted Allocated Money, General Allocation Money.  It's all very convoluted.  If a team wants to spend money, there are workarounds.

 

As for value, if a billionaire is willing to drop 500 million on an expansion team, then that's your justification for value.  And as a single entity league, they're not really buying a franchise.  They're buying a piece of the league itself.

Meh. Seems its just speculation and not a justification of value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2023 at 10:49 AM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

 

¿Isn't that the definition of business?:  speculation while providing goods & srvcs 

 

My point is that, compared to other U.S. pro sports leagues, the value of MLS does not seem to be nearly as closely tethered to the actual revenue the league generates. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2023 at 12:57 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

My point is that, compared to other U.S. pro sports leagues, the value of MLS does not seem to be nearly as closely tethered to the actual revenue the league generates. 

Except we dont know what the league generates.  All we see is the media deal.  The league has some pretty significant sponsorship deals.  Those jersey sponsor deals are up to 9 million a year.  And there's a component few pay attention to - Soccer United Marketing (SUM).  It's thought to be pretty lucrative.  And most of the teams now control the stadiums...and the ancillary revenues.

 

and there's the deal with Adidas.

 

On the sponsorship front, MLS signed several sponsorship deals ahead of the new season, including a six-year extension of its kit supply partnership with Adidas for a reported US$830 million. The league has also prolonged its relationship with German carmaker Audi and secured a new agreement with RBC Wealth Management. 

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2023 at 11:27 AM, RSF said:

Except we dont know what the league generates.  All we see is the media deal.  The league has some pretty significant sponsorship deals.  Those jersey sponsor deals are up to 9 million a year.  And there's a component few pay attention to - Soccer United Marketing (SUM).  It's thought to be pretty lucrative.  And most of the teams now control the stadiums...and the ancillary revenues.

NHL generated a little over 5B last year, very easy info to find. Sifting through some Google results it seems MLS league revenue last year was about a billion, maybe a little more. Yes, NHL franchises are more valuable than MLS, but not as much as you would think considering the NHL generates 3-4 times the revenue. Sure the top NHL franchises blow the top MLS franchises out the water, but the top 10 MLS franchises would all fit in the range of an average NHL franchise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...