Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

17 Die On Everest So Far This Season

I still haven't watched this movie. It's on one of the streaming platforms (Edit: Iirc, it's on Prime).  Two summits of Everest from the Tibet side in less than a week.  Stomach issues on the first ascent slowed him.  Second trip was much faster despite limited recovery time.  Iirc, a new speed record for the round trip, but I think he just missed the ascent record. 

On 5/21/2023 at 4:42 PM, grandjean87 said:

I still haven't watched this movie. It's on one of the streaming platforms (Edit: Iirc, it's on Prime).  Two summits of Everest from the Tibet side in less than a week.  Stomach issues on the first ascent slowed him.  Second trip was much faster despite limited recovery time.  Iirc, a new speed record for the round trip, but I think he just missed the ascent record. 

No ropes and no radio contact.  No O2, of course. Pure Alpine style.  Doing a second summit and descent in worse weather and much faster (17 hours) so quickly after climb #1 is otherworldly. 

@halfmanhalfbronco btw, in case you missed it, but Allie Ostrander recently got sponsorship by Kilian's company.  I think I posted on 24/7.  Allie was planning on running the US Mountain Running Championships a few weeks back, but was injured.   There's a SLC runner who also qualified for the last Oly Trials on the steeplechase who won again. Can't think of her name at the moment.  I think Allie will be moving to mountain racing. 

On 5/21/2023 at 5:07 PM, grandjean87 said:

No ropes and no radio contact.  No O2, of course. Pure Alpine style.  Doing a second summit and descent in worse weather and much faster (17 hours) so quickly after climb #1 is otherworldly. 

@halfmanhalfbronco btw, in case you missed it, but Allie Ostrander recently got sponsorship by Kilian's company.  I think I posted on 24/7.  Allie was planning on running the US Mountain Running Championships a few weeks back, but was injured.   There's a SLC runner who also qualified for the last Oly Trials on the steeplechase who won again. Can't think of her name at the moment.  I think Allie will be moving to mountain racing. 

Dude you freaking called it!!!

You said her professional career would eventually lead her to alpine running ger Sophomore year!  That's always been where her heart is at too, queen of Mt Marathon.  Perfect fit for her.

Jornet is not human.

On 5/21/2023 at 3:41 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I blame him and the people in his life who supported this endeavor, not the sherpa.  Somebody needed to tell him no.  What a dumbass....

could somebody tell you "no"?

On 5/21/2023 at 3:32 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

What the hell is a deaf and blind man doing trying to summit Everest?  

What’s he supposed to do, sit in the quiet dark his entire life? That seems worse than dying to me.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 5/21/2023 at 6:21 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

What’s he supposed to do, sit in the quiet dark his entire life? That seems worse than dying to me.

Really they could of just told him he summitted at base camp two.

On 5/21/2023 at 5:57 PM, gold-n-brown said:

Really they could of just told him he summitted at base camp two.

I laughed but the poor guy did die. I don’t even know how you communicate with a blind and deaf person.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I've always had people for which to be responsible.  But, sort of envy the freedom to die trying, but that will come eventually no matter.  I remember doing a 7 hour snowshoe 3,000' ascent of a peak in the backcountry, getting to the top, fogged in and going down about 500' vert. and realizing I went down the opposite side.  I had my Chow-Aussie mix, Cocoa, w/me. I knew if we had to spend the night that we'd be cold, but fine.  I did not even like that as my dad had passed, but I had three young kids and a wife to take care of. 

On 5/21/2023 at 5:21 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Dude you freaking called it!!!

You said her professional career would eventually lead her to alpine running ger Sophomore year!  That's always been where her heart is at too, queen of Mt Marathon.  Perfect fit for her.

Jornet is not human.

Watching "Path to Everest" now. Very interesting.  Some unique insights to KJ's personality. 

922E7A52-784D-4BF1-AFC6-23CEC392C299.jpeg.f80459ec18a965846af8a46ac6703aed.jpeg

980A4418-CF9A-4826-A30B-BF2DEC482826.jpeg.e70dd50ca2c4ac7b481077472b82d589.jpeg

Sadly, we lost another Sherpa today. Ang Kami Sherpa apparently fell at the Camp 2 helicopter pad. This makes no sense to me unless he had extreme hypoxia and was acting crazy. Maybe he made a quick move to open the door and jumped out. There’s no place to fall at Camp 2 because it’s a valley. So it must have been a helicopter fall. Crazy. 

E433DBD3-BBF4-4D3E-998A-09CF35E705FC.jpeg.f4f8f4287d7e53b48e904bd568a3529b.jpeg

kat.jpg

By the way, Nepal has quite a few regulations on Everest, and I think they need to have those that have died along the route covered in their country flag for privacy and respect like this Canadian:

7A707025-6EC5-452B-9E4C-616A42B98B35.webp.21555fec61db22e9d4664028b3870275.webp

One of the most disturbing is ‘Sleeping Beauty’ and the look on her face is just horrifying. Francys Arsentiev was born in Russia but became an American citizen and foolishly summitted Everest in 1998 with her husband with no oxygen. She ran out of gas and wanted to camp and rest in the death zone overnight.

Her Sherpa obviously told her that was crazy and said he wouldn’t stay. He couldn’t talk her into it continuing. Upon reaching Camp 4, the Sherpa saw that her husband had just arrived and told him his wife was still way up the the DZ, so he immediately left to rescue her. He never reached her and they both died. She needs an American flag over her. She was still attached to the rope, sat down and leaned up against a rock to rest. 

C8B2D8F5-93AF-4EC5-934A-FC751E7BB323.jpeg.4e077ad82290f786b8f27df6c4f9c144.jpeg

kat.jpg

On 5/23/2023 at 6:49 PM, Nevada Convert said:

By the way, Nepal has quite a few regulations on Everest, and I think they need to have those that have died along the route covered in their country flag for privacy and respect like this Canadian:

7A707025-6EC5-452B-9E4C-616A42B98B35.webp.21555fec61db22e9d4664028b3870275.webp

One of the most disturbing is ‘Sleeping Beauty’ and the look on her face is just horrifying. Francys Arsentiev was born in Russia but became an American citizen and foolishly summitted Everest in 1998 with her husband with no oxygen. She ran out of gas and wanted to camp and rest in the death zone overnight.

Her Sherpa obviously told her that was crazy and said he wouldn’t stay. He couldn’t talk her into it continuing. Upon reaching Camp 4, the Sherpa saw that her husband had just arrived and told him his wife was still way up the the DZ, so he immediately left to rescue her. He never reached her and they both died. She needs an American flag over her. She was still attached to the rope, sat down and leaned up against a rock to rest. 

C8B2D8F5-93AF-4EC5-934A-FC751E7BB323.jpeg.4e077ad82290f786b8f27df6c4f9c144.jpeg

I always thought it had to be kind of jarring to see dead bodies on the way up and even use them as markers.  Even knowing you were risking death, seeing death has to give you some pause while you are up there.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:33 PM, Wyobraska said:

I always thought it had to be kind of jarring to see dead bodies on the way up and even use them as markers.  Even knowing you were risking death, seeing death has to give you some pause while you are up there.

I think once you get up there and are suffering, you pretty much stay focused and keep your game face on. But every person that attempts it has to come to grips with the fact that if you don’t die, you’re still going to come home with brain damage.

They’ve been doing studies on the brains of climbers on their first attempt on Everest before and after, and virtually everyone has a lot of minor bleeding on the brain but some pretty major structural changes. 5 years later, nothing has improved. A lot of people have post summit symptoms for about a year and usually get better. 

This is an issue that doesn’t get discussed much, but it’s very real. 

kat.jpg

87A706FA-86E6-4734-ACC2-D092CFC6D71A.jpeg.9ac992a99506d0b81e7e7932ab631e6b.jpeg

We’re up to 14. A Hungarian named Suhajda Szilard went missing way up in the Death Zone over 24 hours ago. He had a GPS unit with new batteries and his signal suddenly disappeared near the balcony. He went entirely solo and trying to summit with no oxygen. Most climbers only have about 30 lbs on them because the Sherpa’s haul all your food, tent, clothes, oxygen, etc. up for you. They’ll pitch your tent and make you food. This guy did it all for himself. That meant he had a crazy heavy pack, probably 100 lbs. That and no oxygen? That’s crazy. He camped all by himself:

6FCD497A-4D19-443D-AC19-BDFEE6CA57B8.jpeg.cf1c130cfdc378fc1ff79e2579f5633c.jpeg

His last pic before he went missing:

7D5A6DD6-1FFF-4535-8F2C-A2CE7C5BCF6A.jpeg.d1c4397566d40e02c7d57c409f7cb7ef.jpeg

Here’s his Facebook page he tweeted. I added a black arrow, below, to show his last known location. He was just shy of the Balcony. The Balcony is just a tad to the right of the black arrow where the grade of the ridge almost levels off. 80% of the deaths in the Death Zone occur on the way down from the summit.

His GPS probably stopped because he fell off the side of the mountain and it was crushed after bouncing off rocks for 1,000’s of feet. Of course, hypoxia can make you act crazy. Some people start stripping off all their clothes and gear and throw them off the mountain. In the process of doing that, or just being uncoordinated and stumbling around end up falling off over edge. 

F022479C-0EEF-4EE7-9E5F-808E39DB2F55.jpeg.27ce4b147db839b4f45b6f0a5747a612.jpeg

So you start your decent from the top, and you decide that you need some food energy. But there’s only one problem. When you eat a meal, blood is taken from your extremities and diverted to your stomach for digestion. It can actually cause you to lose fingers, toes and limbs. 

kat.jpg