Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

The Greatest of All Time

The Greatest Of All Time  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the GOAT

On 5/2/2023 at 3:00 PM, AztecSU said:

The truth is I lean MJ...but I cant help but acknowledge that it never felt like MJ faced a team as good as GS...and def not 5 times. 

IMO Steph is better than Lebron.

On 5/2/2023 at 3:45 PM, AztecSU said:

Probably for political reasons, let's be honest. 

I'm sure Curry is a flaming liberal, too. That's got nothing to do with it. Steph will have 5 rings after this year, so a great argument could be made that steph is better. Steph is the one that was transformative in his era, not Lebron.

On 5/2/2023 at 2:52 PM, Bob said:

I'm sure Curry is a flaming liberal, too. Steph will have 5 rings after this year, so a great argument could be made that steph is better.

It will be interesting to see how people react if the Lakers win this GS series. Curry is going down as one of the greatest shooters of all time and Lebron will be considered one of if not the best all-around player of all time. But if the Lakers beat GS and win a championship its going to be hard to put anyone but MJ before Lebron. 

On 5/2/2023 at 1:52 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

I didn’t acknowledge it because it was a lame ass attempt to pretend you weren’t immediately owned.

John Goodman Lol GIF by Roseanne

On 5/2/2023 at 2:56 PM, AztecSU said:

It will be interesting to see how people react if the Lakers win this GS series. Curry is going down as one of the greatest shooters of all time and Lebron will be considered one of if not the best all-around player of all time. But if the Lakers beat GS and win a championship its going to be hard to put anyone but MJ before Lebron. 

I would change my vote. Going through the defending champs then the 2x defending mvp on the way to the title at 38 would be ridiculous. That would be like Wizards MJ vanquishing the Lakers and Spurs.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I like LeBron. I'm a Lakers fan. I have to go with Michael Jordan as GOAT though. The reason why is because LBJ is more of a facilitator, whereas MJ is a cold-blooded assassin. He is just going to go in and do it himself, and no one is stopping him. LBJ dishes it off to teammates a lot in clutch situations and relies on them to make the shot. MJ demanded the ball and took the shot, and he scored basically at-will. I feel like that is going to produce more consistent results over the long-term (in play-off situations) rather than being an excellent passer but leaving it up to your teammates to not miss.

Magic Johnson, who I feel was a superior passer to LeBron, arguably wasn't the best player on his team, so him being a facilitator worked in his favor since he had a star-studded cast and one of the best big men of all time to be the recipients of those passes. LeBron is always the best player on his team, but he is also a guy that looks to get his teammates open looks, which is a strange combination. But hey, 4 rings, and he's one of the greats, so there is no arguing his immense talent.

I just kind of find the MJ/LBJ comparison to be weird on a certain level since they have such different play styles. Players like Kobe, McGrady, Carter, etc. are better comparisons for Jordan, with Kobe being the only one who really got close. T-Mac had the potential but had a lot of bad luck.

Maybe Larry Bird/Magic are better comparisons for LeBron. He's very unique though, so I'm not sure he can really be compared to any past players adequately.

LeBron is pretty amazing. He’s right up there with MJ. To continue to play at a high level at 38 years old is hard to fathom. In any regard he’s going down to Curry and the Warriors in the next two weeks. And Draymond Green is an asshole. He reminds me of Laimbeer. 

On 5/2/2023 at 6:41 PM, TopLobo said:

I like LeBron. I'm a Lakers fan. I have to go with Michael Jordan as GOAT though. The reason why is because LBJ is more of a facilitator, whereas MJ is a cold-blooded assassin. He is just going to go in and do it himself, and no one is stopping him. LBJ dishes it off to teammates a lot in clutch situations and relies on them to make the shot. MJ demanded the ball and took the shot, and he scored basically at-will. I feel like that is going to produce more consistent results over the long-term (in play-off situations) rather than being an excellent passer but leaving it up to your teammates to not miss.

Magic Johnson, who I feel was a superior passer to LeBron, arguably wasn't the best player on his team, so him being a facilitator worked in his favor since he had a star-studded cast and one of the best big men of all time to be the recipients of those passes. LeBron is always the best player on his team, but he is also a guy that looks to get his teammates open looks, which is a strange combination. But hey, 4 rings, and he's one of the greats, so there is no arguing his immense talent.

I just kind of find the MJ/LBJ comparison to be weird on a certain level since they have such different play styles. Players like Kobe, McGrady, Carter, etc. are better comparisons for Jordan, with Kobe being the only one who really got close. T-Mac had the potential but had a lot of bad luck.

Maybe Larry Bird/Magic are better comparisons for LeBron. He's very unique though, so I'm not sure he can really be compared to any past players adequately.

Magic Johnson was always the best player on the team

On 5/2/2023 at 10:03 PM, renoskier said:

Magic Johnson was always the best player on the team

Some would definitely say it's debatable. I personally would take Magic over Kareem in a fantasy draft scenario. Kareem is a top-5 big, while Magic is the best PG of all time.

On 5/2/2023 at 9:11 PM, TopLobo said:

Some would definitely say it's debatable. I personally would take Magic over Kareem in a fantasy draft scenario. Kareem is a top-5 big, while Magic is the best PG of all time.

I say it because when Kareem and Magic were together, Magic was in his prime. Kareem was still great but IMO, his best years were behind him.

MJ is the GOAT that inspired future ones. Plus, Air Jordans are STILL highly regarded shoes, despite it being decades since Jordan last stepped foot on the court.

Plus, Jordan's Space Jam was better than the new one.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:24 AM, son of a gun said:

MJ is the GOAT that inspired future ones. Plus, Air Jordans are STILL highly regarded shoes, despite it being decades since Jordan last stepped foot on the court.

Plus, Jordan's Space Jam was better than the new one.

Jordan Brand is an entire company within Nike.  5 billion a year in sales.  Makes MJ about 150m a year.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I think it’s well established that on this board based on votes, MJ is the GOAT. 

We should now turn up the dial and rank the GOAT for each position 1-5. 

The fun part will be looking at each era and blended eras.  There is much less definition of 1-5 in todays game. 7 footers can bring the ball down and hit deadly accurate 3’s. Much less low post grinding as well. 

Obviously I’m a biased Jazz fan but I think strong arguments can be made for John and Karl.

My Picks: 

1. Stockton(Magic was a better overall player). Best pure point in my book.

2. Curry

3. MJ

4. Malone(if we are calling LeBron a PF, he’d get the nod over Karl).

5.  Kareem

On 5/3/2023 at 1:30 PM, utenation said:

I think it’s well established that on this board based on votes, MJ is the GOAT. 

The fun part will be looking at each era and blended eras.  There is much less definition of 1-5 in todays game. 7 footers can bring the ball down and hit deadly accurate 3’s. Much less low post grinding as well. 

Obviously I’m a biased Jazz fan but I think strong arguments can be made for John and Karl.

My Picks: 

2. Curry

3. MJ

5.  Kareem

Michael wasn't a 3.  Pippen was.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/3/2023 at 12:50 PM, RSF said:

Michael wasn't a 3.  Pippen was.

I think we are splitting hairs on that one.  Technically, he was a 3 with the Wizards.  He was basically a 1-3 as far as skill. I had to get Curry on my list as SG since he is the best shooter of all time in my book. 

On 5/3/2023 at 12:30 PM, utenation said:

My Picks: 

2. Curry

3. MJ

5.  Kareem

I know you have to put Malone there since you are in Utah but to me, Tim Duncan was the better defender and therefore better all around power forward as their offense was similar, with Malone probably having a slight edge.