Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

It’s Official: Oakland A’s Are Moving To Las Vegas

On 4/20/2023 at 11:09 AM, UNLV2001 said:

MLB stadium trend has been to more intimate 33-37K stadiums.............tough to fill a 50K stadium 81 times a season 

Tough to fill a 30k stadium. Most games have a lot of empty seats throughout the year. It’s only October, opening day, and the top teams that can consistently reach capacity.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Odd twist of fate

When I was born in Kansas City the A's where the MLB team there..............63 years later we are reunited in Las Vegas ..............Whoulda thunk Las Vegas would have any pro sports way back in 1960 ?!?! 

LV Metro population in 1960 = 92,000

LV Metro population in 2023 = 2,350,000

Kansas City Metro population 1960 = 925,000

Kansas City Metro population in 2023 = 2,225,000

Now there is a greater number of people within a 2 hour drive of KC than there is of LV 

On 4/20/2023 at 11:12 AM, ph90702 said:

My hope is that there's a retractable roof.  Nobody wants to watch a game in a dome full-time.  The Raiders made a major mistake in not going with a retractable roof.

Obviously there will be a retractable roof -- That's as much a given that the stadium will contain dugouts 

On 4/20/2023 at 11:13 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Tough to fill a 30k stadium. Most games have a lot of empty seats throughout the year. It’s only October, opening day, and the top teams that can consistently reach capacity.

Yep - even at 30+ K, the odds of 100% capacity are slim.........but one built in plus for any LV team is the visiting fans..........plus baseball plays multi-game series so fans can come for 2 to 4 days and get in a game plus whatever else 

Why baseball stadiums have come down in size from what they once where............plus there's not the larger multi-use stadiums like there was in the 1970/80's when NFL & MLB shared quite a few stadiums .........Oakland was the last location to have a shared NFL/MLB facility 

On 4/20/2023 at 12:01 PM, UNLV2001 said:

True..........I wish the Jazz had done a rebrand when they moved to SLC 

A's have been the Athletics since 1907 thru Philadelphia, Kansas City & Oakland..........plus "Athletics" is a generic fit anywhere name...........so it's going to be LV A's

Jazz where in New Orleans only from 74/75 to 78/79 so not a big history with the name & a win–loss record of 161–249 (.393) in five seasons in New Orleans

A rebrand was ripe when the move was made to SLC 

Deciding the Jazz were no longer viable in New Orleans, Battistone decided to move elsewhere. After scouting several new homes, he decided on Salt Lake City, even though it was a smaller market. Salt Lake City had previously been home to the Utah Stars of the American Basketball Association (ABA) from 1970 to 1976.[15] The Stars had been extremely popular in the city and had even won an ABA title in their first season after moving from Los Angeles. However, their financial situation deteriorated in their last two seasons, and they were shut down by the league 16 games into the 1975–76 season in December 1975 after missing payroll. Although Salt Lake City was not known for its jazz culture, the team decided to keep the name, as there was not enough time before the start of the 1979–80 season to receive league approval for a name change.[16] The Jazz also preserved the original Mardi Gras-themed colors: green, purple, and gold. As a result of the move, of the three ABA teams that were left out of the ABA–NBA merger, the erstwhile Utah Stars are the only one to have eventually been replaced by an NBA team.

The flip side to that coin is, can you imagine the outrage from the locals if the Jazz wanted to rename now? Once the hooks are in, game over.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:30 AM, utenation said:

The flip side to that coin is, can you imagine the outrage from the locals if the Jazz wanted to rename now? Once the hooks are in, game over.

Yeah - Enough time has passed & the Jazz have had good success so a change at this point would be bad news all around .........the rebrand needed to be done right before the move or within a year or three after the move 

Memphis Grizzlies..........LA Lakers are two others with specific brands to their former cities that have little ties to current locations 

Lakers are a staple brand name now

On 4/20/2023 at 11:46 AM, utenation said:

The Raiders have averaged 60k+ in their first two seasons in Vegas with the Raiders being average at best including coaching controversies. 

The novelty of being  a new team in town with a pimp stadium might wear off but I hope not. Owners and planners looking to move look closely at stuff so Vegas is looking good right now.

Btw,  I like the idea of a storied brand coming to town instead of an expansion club. 

Utah made the Jazz who they are. Not New Orleans. 

The Raiders moving to Las Vegas was a no brainer. They draw new fans, their old fans, and opponents fans that want to party in Vegas.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:09 PM, soupslam1 said:

The Raiders moving to Las Vegas was a no brainer. They draw new fans, their old fans, and opponents fans that want to party in Vegas.

The Raiders wanted to work with the A's to stay in Oakland and the A's declined.  Funny how they are following the Raiders now. 

down in a hole.jpg

On 4/20/2023 at 10:35 AM, UNLV2001 said:

For the 2nd time we get a relocation..........would prefer expansion team with no history .............as a former big time KC Royals & Chiefs fan, having the Raiders & A's move here is about as miserable as it gets 😒

But my fandome for the KC teams has faded over the decades...........now I'm more generic NFL watcher and MLB watcher. Will be slightly easier to get behind the A's for me............Getting behind the Raiders is probably not 100% happening 

VGK? I'm all in

Expansion NBA? I'm all in 

Same, I can get behind the A's easier than the Raiders. I still feel like the Raiders are short-term tenants. Oakland will pull its head out and get them back eventually. Then we will get the Chargers which is the team we should've gotten in the first place.

Someone needs to toss John Fisher off of the top of Mt. Davis for ruining the A's so completely. He held the city hostage, all to leave anyway after getting millions of dollars for absolutely nothing.  He's human scum, and the commissioner allowed all of this to happen in broad daylight because he's a spineless coward

It's Official

UNLV will never have a fan base.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 4/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, GoDogs22 said:

Someone needs to toss John Fisher off of the top of Mt. Davis for ruining the A's so completely. He held the city hostage, all to leave anyway after getting millions of dollars for absolutely nothing.  He's human scum, and the commissioner allowed all of this to happen in broad daylight because he's a spineless coward

No.

It happened because LV is a better Sports Market than Cokeland. The A's will make far more money there than in Oak Town 

Americans Mayor

On 4/20/2023 at 12:27 PM, SharkTanked said:

Same, I can get behind the A's easier than the Raiders. I still feel like the Raiders are short-term tenants. Oakland will pull its head out and get them back eventually. Then we will get the Chargers which is the team we should've gotten in the first place.

Still an old AFC West Chiefs opponent -- But Chargers would be more palatable than Raiders in every aspect 

On 4/20/2023 at 12:21 PM, Broncomare said:

The Raiders wanted to work with the A's to stay in Oakland and the A's declined.  Funny how they are following the Raiders now. 

Raiders & A's end up a mile apart on same side of the freeway in separate but new stadiums !! 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:31 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Raiders & A's end up a mile apart on same side of the freeway in separate but new stadiums !! 

I have a cousin that lives in Vegas - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Boise State to play UNLV on Friday or Saturday and then the Raiders have a home game.  

down in a hole.jpg

On 4/20/2023 at 10:20 AM, Bob said:

Do they know it's 9,000 degrees there in the summer?

It doesn't seem to bother the D-Back or  Texas Rangers fans 

Americans Mayor