Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Way-too-early basketball top 25

Beyond silly.  Two final four teams on there that no one has a chance to even tamper with their roster yet.  At least wait until June when things have settled down a bit.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 4/4/2023 at 12:20 AM, Spaztecs said:

Not bad early respect for the top of the MW. Unfortunately, the meat of the league is being gutted by the transfer portal. SJSU looks like the 3rd best team until the rosters get filled out.

A Reddit user put together a composite Way to Early poll.

SDSU is 19 in the composite.

CBS, FOX, and Kenny Fowler have them at 14/ 15.

Americans Mayor

On 4/4/2023 at 8:19 AM, kingpotato said:

Not bad early respect for the top of the MW. Unfortunately, the meat of the league is being gutted by the transfer portal. SJSU looks like the 3rd best team until the rosters get filled out.

Even with Nevada's portal losses, I don't see SJSU as better than Nevada if they lose Moore. We return 3 starters and our two leading scorers. We'll still be towards the top of the league, depending on who we land in the portal. 

On 4/4/2023 at 9:48 AM, bigd said:

Even with Nevada's portal losses, I don't see SJSU as better than Nevada if they lose Moore. We return 3 starters and our two leading scorers. We'll still be towards the top of the league, depending on who we land in the portal. 

I haven't seen anything that says Moore is leaving. There have been some hints, but I haven't seen anything official. 

On 4/4/2023 at 10:06 AM, kingpotato said:

Boise lands Kansas transfer they were hoping for. Should be a legit top 25 caliber team next year. Still has one more spot to fill. Likely another big.

Let me tell you a story about adding P5 transfers and receiving pre-season top-25 hype...

Hopefully Boise has better luck than Wyo had

On 4/4/2023 at 11:17 AM, misplacedcowboy said:

Let me tell you a story about adding P5 transfers and receiving pre-season top-25 hype...

Hopefully Boise has better luck than Wyo had

Wyoming was snake bit last year. Losing Ike before the season was a huge blow... and then it went downhill from there.

Leon has done very well through the transfer portal. He has a couple of small duds, but almost all of them have been solid contributors/stars.

Leon also brought in a stud FR class, all of which should be able to come off of the bench to start their careers.

The Aztecs are once again pre-season Conference Champs.

Americans Mayor

On 4/4/2023 at 8:48 AM, bigd said:

Alford did great on the portal last year when we weren’t even very good. Now as a tourney team, I’ll bet we get an upgrade of Lucas, another very talented version of Williams and an upgrade of Pettigrew. SDSU has really helped the whole conference. Looks like Alford is in the running to get that Princeton stud. 

kat.jpg

On 4/4/2023 at 1:06 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Alford did great on the portal last year when we weren’t even very good. Now as a tourney team, I’ll bet we get an upgrade of Lucas, another very talented version of Williams and an upgrade of Pettigrew. SDSU has really helped the whole conference. Looks like Alford is in the running to get that Princeton stud. 

Alford has always done well with transfers. Even before the portal at New Mexico.

Dutcher said if we keep who he thinks we'll keep i.e. LeDee, Tremmell and Johnson, we'll be even better next year.  I think both Johnson and LeDee will go the draft route to test the waters.  Nothing to back that up, just a gut feeling.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 4/4/2023 at 1:55 PM, SDSUfan said:

Dutcher said if we keep who he thinks we'll keep i.e. LeDee, Tremmell and Johnson, we'll be even better next year.  I think both Johnson and LeDee will go the draft route to test the waters.  Nothing to back that up, just a gut feeling.

Given that we did not see much floor time (if any) for the young bucks, he must see a lot in practice to believe we can replace some of the super seniors we are losing.  

On 4/4/2023 at 9:19 AM, kingpotato said:

UNM is getting their top 3 guards back (House, Mashburn Jr, Dent) plus adding an espn top 100 guard in Tru Washington. Most of UNM's transfers are due to being recruited over.