Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

POLL: What's more impressive, Boise's Fiesta Bowl or SDSU's Final Four?

POLL: What's the bigger accomplishment?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. What was the bigger accomplishment?

• Boise 2007 Fiesta Bowl win
    • SDSU reaching 2023 Final Four

On 3/30/2023 at 2:39 PM, happycamper said:

Final 4. Especially as a 5 seed. You gotta earn it four games in a row AND SDSU did it 3 time zones away from home including beating the overall #1 seed in the tourney. 

The equivalent for that 2006 Boise team wouldn't have been just beating Oklahoma, it would have been beating Texas Tech and then beating Oregon and then beating Ohio State and then beating Georgia. 

You got one right, Alabama. Furman, Charleston, and Creighton aren’t on the same level as TT, Oregon, OSU, and Georgia in football. 

Every BSu fan will tell you that something that happened that long ago and in another conference doesn’t matter. I’m just going by what they have repeated ad nauseam about UNLV. It’s time to move on, right?

SDSU is on an unexpected and impressive run. I hope they finish it up with a Natty.

On 3/30/2023 at 10:30 AM, Spaztecs said:

Okay, but how many Tourney Credits did they earn ?

:shrug:

Yes, the Dawgs run to the College World Series was amazing, unfortunately, the CWS doesn't have the cache of the NCAAT.

I am not making the case that it does, but to claim it’s any less of an amazing accomplishment is purposeful ignorance.

Not even sure what point within the bounds of what was stated by the OP you’re attempting to make. Tourney credits? How many tourney credits did the Fiesta Bowl bring?

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

I am saying Final Four is more impressive because it’s a single game elimination where everything is at stake for both teams. It’s the most important game of each players career up to that point.  And the winner of every contest still has the chance to win the National Title.

Winning the Fiesta Bowl did not involve these factors.  If the poll means making the Fiesta Bowl, then even more reason.  Nothing against it as it was an legendary year and win.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:35 PM, soupslam1 said:

You got one right, Alabama. Furman, Charleston, and Creighton aren’t on the same level as TT, Oregon, OSU, and Georgia in football. 

Soup, yes, they are. I picked them out specifically based on 2006 results lmao. 

Furman won the Socon. They went 24-7. They beat a 4 seed to advance to the second round. TT went 7-5 in the regular season, including a I-AA win. They beat as similarly mediocre Minnesota team in overtime in their bowl game. That's... right on the nose for Furman's season.

Oregon went 7-5 in the regular season. They played in the Vegas bowl against MWC champ BYU where they got blown out. They finished 7-6. Honestly this comparison is worse for Charleston, who went 30-3, won their conference, and who was extremely competitive against MWC Champ SDSU. 

Creighton went 24-13 and was 3rd in a power conference. They were ranked 22nd in the coaches poll and first in receiving votes in the AP poll. They went to the Elite 8, which is about equivalent to winning a BCS game for a power school. Compared to 2006 Georgia, who went 8-4 in the regular season, was unranked in the final regular season polls, tied for 3rd in their division at .500 (so tied for 6th overall), and who won in their bowl game, ended the season ranked 23rd.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 3/31/2023 at 12:13 AM, bitteraztec said:

I am saying Final Four is more impressive because it’s a single game elimination where everything is at stake for both teams. It’s the most important game of each players career up to that point.  And the winner of every contest still has the chance to win the National Title.

Winning the Fiesta Bowl did not involve these factors.  If the poll means making the Fiesta Bowl, then even more reason.  Nothing against it as it was an legendary year and win.

I'd also emphasize that SDSU had to beat a stream of great teams and the Fiesta Bowl was only 1 game.  

On 3/30/2023 at 9:33 PM, Dogs4Me said:

I am not making the case that it does, but to claim it’s any less of an amazing accomplishment is purposeful ignorance.

Not even sure what point within the bounds of what was stated by the OP you’re attempting to make. Tourney credits? How many tourney credits did the Fiesta Bowl bring?

The use if emojis generally indicates sarcasm or humor.

As i stated in my next sentence, it was an impressive run. It just flew under the radar.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Boise State.  And I don’t even think it’s a debate tbh.  It’s much harder to compete with P5s in football because there’s 85 scholarships as opposed to 13.  In addition, football recruiting is much more regional than basketball recruiting.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:01 AM, VandalPride97 said:

I'd also emphasize that SDSU had to beat a stream of great teams and the Fiesta Bowl was only 1 game.  

And every win put you one step closer to the Title .

The Fiesta Bowl was one game with nothing more on the line than a Trophy.

Both were big moments for their programs which Boise was able to use as a launching pad. Hopefully, the Aztecs can do the same.

Americans Mayor

Because it happened a long time ago, and because the post-season has changed for college football, the Boise State Fiesta Bowl win has lessened. Also remember that, while a blueblood, Oklahoma had a couple of things that made them vulnerable: a QB that had only converted from WR to QB that season and their All Everything RB Adrian Peterson, playing his first game back from recovering from a broken collar bone.

Also, the college football post-season is far more "political" to me and I like that SDSU had to "earn it" every game of the tournament.

My vote goes to SDSU Final Four, but I wouldn't give up the fan experience of Boise State's winning the best athletic event of any kind I've ever seen for anything!

On 3/31/2023 at 8:53 AM, SparkysDad said:

Because it happened a long time ago, and because the post-season has changed for college football, the Boise State Fiesta Bowl win has lessened. Also remember that, while a blueblood, Oklahoma had a couple of things that made them vulnerable: a QB that had only converted from WR to QB that season and their All Everything RB Adrian Peterson, playing his first game back from recovering from a broken collar bone.

Also, the college football post-season is far more "political" to me and I like that SDSU had to "earn it" every game of the tournament.

My vote goes to SDSU Final Four, but I wouldn't give up the fan experience of Boise State's winning the best athletic event of any kind I've ever seen for anything!

Have you been to a final four? It’s a pretty dang big deal. And very fun, there’s stuff going on for several days straight. And not just at the stadium. It’s a great fan experience as well. 

To be honest SDSU run has extended over two weeks and four games.

Americans Mayor

On 3/31/2023 at 8:00 AM, Spaztecs said:

The use if emojis generally indicates sarcasm or humor.

As i stated in my next sentence, it was an impressive run. It just flew under the radar.

Damn, missed the emojis. All good my man.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

Much harder to put together an elite football team than basketball team for schools like us.  Much.  Harder.  However, it is also much harder to win so many consecutive games than a one off.  I would say as a total year long performance and what is more unlikely, the Fiesta Bowl team.  What is the more impressive singular event?  A final 4

I'm a far bigger CBB than college football fan but I had to vote for Boise; small conference teams have been making the Final 4 semi-regularly for the past 15 or so years while college football is way more skewed to the big boys.  Big time kudos for what SDSU has accomplished but I don't think it's particularly close.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 3/31/2023 at 5:03 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

I'm a far bigger CBB than college football fan but I had to vote for Boise; small conference teams have been making the Final 4 semi-regularly for the past 15 or so years while college football is way more skewed to the big boys.  Big time kudos for what SDSU has accomplished but I don't think it's particularly close.

Thanks for sharing my thoughts.  Taking absolutely nothing away from SDSU because it's been an epic run that is actually a bit overdue.  They're not a Cinderella, they climbed the ladder to get here.  However, slaying the giant made me vote for Fiesta Bowl.

Now...SDSU is hopefully not done, and one more win would easily sway my vote.  Two more wins and it would be a no-brainer.  Both accomplishments stand pretty high in my eyes.

On 3/31/2023 at 4:29 PM, Headbutt said:

Thanks for sharing my thoughts.  Taking absolutely nothing away from SDSU because it's been an epic run that is actually a bit overdue.  They're not a Cinderella, they climbed the ladder to get here.  However, slaying the giant made me vote for Fiesta Bowl.

Now...SDSU is hopefully not done, and one more win would easily sway my vote.  Two more wins and it would be a no-brainer.  Both accomplishments stand pretty high in my eyes.

Two more wins. Say that to yourself again Aztecs. It’s real. You could be national champions three days from now.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.