Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Ranking MW basketball jobs.

I think Lawlor Events Center has the best seating configuration of any arena in the country. The circular seating means that wherever you are, you just look straight ahead to see everything. There also lots of aisles to make it easy to get up and get food/beer or take a piss. It’s also lighted perfectly, kind of has a positive vibe about it. 

kat.jpg

On 3/29/2023 at 5:27 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I think Lawlor Events Center has the best seating configuration of any arena in the country. The circular seating means that wherever you are, you just look straight ahead to see everything. There also lots of aisles to make it easy to get up and get food/beer or take a piss. It’s also lighted perfectly, kind of has a positive vibe about it. 

And once the new locker rooms are complete, our basketball facilities will be excellent. The one sport where our facilities are actually towards the top of the league.

On 3/29/2023 at 3:56 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

I stopped reading anything from Murray after he voted Isaiah Stevens 3rd team MWC this season. And wrote that Orlando Robinson was having a better rookie season than David Roddy in the NBA. His hate for anything Colorado State after the Norvell move has become obvious and clouded any judgment toward CSU.

Who on the second team would you have replaced to add Stevens? Bradley, Lucas, Rice, Maldonado, and Mashburn are all equally deserving IMO.  This was a really tough year to pick the all conference teams, it had nothing to do with bias. 

To your second point; despite playing less than half the games of Roddy, Robinson has more win shares. All the advance stats point to him being better this season. I'm sure he wasn't taking anything away from Roddy, and Roddy should have a great career.

Murray is the best for MW coverage IMO, to suggest that he hates CSU and is biased is laughable. 

On 3/29/2023 at 6:51 PM, bigd said:

Who on the second team would you have replaced to add Stevens? Bradley, Lucas, Rice, Maldonado, and Mashburn are all equally deserving IMO.  This was a really tough year to pick the all conference teams, it had nothing to do with bias. 

To your second point; despite playing less than half the games of Roddy, Robinson has more win shares. All the advance stats point to him being better this season. I'm sure he wasn't taking anything away from Roddy, and Roddy should have a great career.

Murray is the best for MW coverage IMO, to suggest that he hates CSU and is biased is laughable. 

Stevens was voted first team by the coaches and the media. Murray is the only member of the media that voted him 3rd team. Murray was the only outlier. I repeat the only outlier. 

Win shares? For real? No one in their right mind would argue that Robinson is having a better rookie season than Roddy. 

I’m not here to get into a pissing match with you. I’ve lost respect for Murray since the Norvell thing. He chose to fan the flames to appeal to his audience. That’s his right. He’s got to make money somehow with his private venture. 

As for him being the best for MW coverage, he’s not even close to UNM’s Geoff Grammar.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:48 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

Stevens was voted first team by the coaches and the media. Murray is the only member of the media that voted him 3rd team. Murray was the only outlier. I repeat the only outlier. 

Win shares? For real? No one in their right mind would argue that Robinson is having a better rookie season than Roddy. 

I’m not here to get into a pissing match with you. I’ve lost respect for Murray since the Norvell thing. He chose to fan the flames to appeal to his audience. That’s his right. He’s got to make money somehow with his private venture. 

As for him being the best for MW coverage, he’s not even close to UNM’s Geoff Grammar.

With his private venture? This gets more odd. 

so wait, the highest paid MWC head coach makes 1.35 million? that's crazy...Penny is giving Memphis a deal at 2.5 million as both Pastner and Tubby made more than Penny.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 3/29/2023 at 8:48 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

That's laughable. While everyone else who isn't a CSU fan has lost respect for Norvell for the Norvell thing, you've lost respect for Murray for calling a spade a spade? Ha! Murray has his shortcomings, but being a blind homer isn't one of them. 

I agree with Reb fans on the facilities part.  SDSU's JAM is nice, but Viejas is basic.  And I love Viejas for it, but UNM and UNLV are both better structures.  BSU's arena is kind of cool with the seating decks but the arena feels outdated because it has more room to critique features, something you really can't do with Viejas since it is simply a bowl of humanity.  I hope not much ever changes to Viejas.  Maybe expand the south entrance to have a grand entryway?

On 3/29/2023 at 8:20 PM, Nevada Convert said:

The UNLV job is for coaches that are losers but like nicer things around them. Kind of like Trump. 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:22 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Coaches coach to win, not masturbate about 1990. 

Alford is 0-4 against Kruger and we want Kruger GONE

WE ARE NOT THE SAME YOU NATTY-LESS AND CANNON-LESS PEASANT. SILENCE!

You should be FLOGGED and LASHED FOR YOUR INSOLENCE TOWARDS YOUR SUPERIORS 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 3/29/2023 at 8:39 PM, Slapdad said:

That's laughable. While everyone else who isn't a CSU fan has lost respect for Norvell for the Norvell thing, you've lost respect for Murray for calling a spade a spade? Ha! Murray has his shortcomings, but being a blind homer isn't one of them. 

I guess I'm with Swoll, other than the fact that he's late to the party.  Murray was a tool long before UNR ran Norvell off.  Not the sharpest tool, but still a tool.

The funny part of this Murray rage that he pulled data for three of the four variables he used in his ranking and he’s visited every venue in the MWC x times over the last 10+ years.  

Budget:

Head coach salary: 

Record since 2000: 

Facilities: 

On 3/29/2023 at 9:58 PM, Headbutt said:

I guess I'm with Swoll, other than the fact that he's late to the party.  Murray was a tool long before UNR ran Norvell off.  Not the sharpest tool, but still a tool.

Please don't talk about @Swoll Cracker like that.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:59 PM, Pelado said:

Please don't talk about @Swoll Cracker like that.

LOL!  If I want an intelligent opinion on college BB, I go directly to Swoll and no further.  IF he is a tool, at least he's the sharpest tool in the drawer.

On 3/29/2023 at 5:01 PM, ph90702 said:

You think UNR is a better job than UNLV?

Per Murray’s article, UNLV has had 14 coaches over the last 31 years. That stat alone shows it isn’t a great job. Great jobs are places where coaches win and stay put.

It’s exactly like being a Sacramento Kings fan, so I feel your pain. Though it looks like we finally found a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Their facilities list is off IMO

I love The Pit, I'd rather see a game there than anywhere. 

All that to say. Vegas has the top facilities. No question. I haven't been to Viejas in 20 years, I'd be willing to accept they could be better,  one would hope given tgeir success. The rest can fight for 4th snd later. 

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

On 3/29/2023 at 9:58 PM, Headbutt said:

Yeah. I've always thought Murray was a wiener.

UNLV is second imo. The fans recent apathy makes it more attractive instead of having to look over your back after every loss. The facilities and recruiting potential is great. UNLV’s inability to find a competent HC since lon is incredible. UNM is third for the pitt/fanbase.

1. SDSU

2. UNLV

3. UNM

4. Nevada

5. Boise

6. Utah State

7. Colorado State

8. Wyoming

9. Fresno

10. Air Force

11. SJSU

On 3/29/2023 at 4:12 PM, Rebels18 said:

Agree for the most part except ranking UNLV's facilities at #2 in the conference. UNLV is clearly #1....and it's not close.  #1 ranked according to Murray is SDSU's Viejas/JAM Center facilities and they aren't on par with the T&M Center and Mendenhall Center....we're talking about $105 million worth of facility upgrades since 2017 which isn't even including their original construction costs vs. $9 mill for the JAM Center and $29 million (closer to $50 million w/ inflation) Viejas Arena which is overdue for a renovation and doesn't even have luxury boxes or indoor concessions or bars. Their new midcourt video scoreboard is cool though, but not as big as the huge $5 million one the T&M put up in 2018 to go along with the other $80 million in renovations they dumped into the place that year. Plus the Mendenhall Center got a gigantic facelift to help accommodate the NBA Summer League as well. 

Which is why RoyalKey did a facility tour of it a couple years ago like they do all the other top facilities in the country. Notice they didn't visit any other MWC programs..

875C2080-6DEB-44C4-940B-935CB52FD820.jpeg.b5d7c674fb4638b972fa1ff8294dabed.jpeg

Facilities mean nothing if you don’t win. I don’t think they’re much of a comfort for losing. When a player is exhausted and upset about getting killed on the court again, coming back to a locker room that red has to make a player feel like he just died and went to hell. 

Before you put everything into facilities, use that money to hire a competent President, AD, coaching staff and coaching staff support. Your winning can grow with your facilities. 

kat.jpg