Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Ryan Odom…

On 3/29/2023 at 11:56 AM, kingpotato said:

Stew was a bit of a lightning in the bottle hire, similar to Steve Fisher. A traveled coach who was content to settle down and appreciate where he was. Alford could end up being that for UNR, having failed twice at P5 gigs. But, for the most part, the best most MW teams can hope for is to nail the hire and keep him for 3-5 years before he moves on and you have to go through it all over again.

Alford’s contract will be kicking in to $2 mil per pretty soon. If he gets us in the tourney most years and we have some cool runs, he’ll keep getting it and more.

kat.jpg

On 3/29/2023 at 5:33 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Alford’s contract will be kicking in to $2 mil per pretty soon. If he gets us in the tourney most years and we have some cool runs, he’ll keep getting it and more.

Steve Alford will finish his career at UNR.  He has failed at multiple P5 schools.  And please don’t mention making the Sweet 16 at UCLA.

Question for Boise fans: what has kept Rice in Boise for over a decade? And is the thought that he's going to retire there? 

Seems like he's paid reasonably well ($900k this year?), but if freaking USF is dropping $1.5m for a basketball coach I'm sure he could get more. Is it because Boise/WA/OR has been home for him most of his life? Or he doesn't want the spotlight that a higher level job would bring? I think that was a key reason Stew stayed in Logan. 

I can't remember him being mentioned as a potential candidate the last few years. 4 NCAAT appearances and 3 NITs is a more solid resume than Craig Smith and Odom so I'm curious what the difference is.  

On 3/29/2023 at 6:07 PM, mondego said:

Question for Boise fans: what has kept Rice in Boise for over a decade? And is the thought that he's going to retire there? 

Seems like he's paid reasonably well ($900k this year?), but if freaking USF is dropping $1.5m for a basketball coach I'm sure he could get more. Is it because Boise/WA/OR has been home for him most of his life? Or he doesn't want the spotlight that a higher level job would bring? I think that was a key reason Stew stayed in Logan. 

I can't remember him being mentioned as a potential candidate the last few years. 4 NCAAT appearances and 3 NITs is a more solid resume than Craig Smith and Odom so I'm curious what the difference is.  

A lot of it for Rice is probably that for much of his career he was good not great. Boise fans were even calling for him to be fired at one point. He is a northwest guy, and probably just never had any offers that were worthwhile.

Someone had mentioned Washington has their sights set on Rice. Since this is his last year with Max they figure they’ll go after him after this season.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:02 PM, ph90702 said:

Steve Alford will finish his career at UNR.  He has failed at multiple P5 schools.  And please don’t mention making the Sweet 16 at UCLA.

Steve Alford made the Sweet 16 at UCLA. 

usatsi_9790978.jpg.5a51da60c8136aeb9862b7a0ba5235c6.jpg

On 3/29/2023 at 6:02 PM, ph90702 said:

I hope so. But if Alford does quit and his kid is hired as his replacement with virtually ZERO qualifications to take over the HC job at Nevada… wait, where was I going with this??

On 3/29/2023 at 7:15 PM, NevadaFan said:

I hope so. But if Alford does quit and his kid is hired as his replacement with virtually ZERO qualifications to take over the HC job at Nevada… wait, where was I going with this??

He’s going to be 59 years old.  Very rare for a high major school to hire somebody north of 60.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:21 PM, ph90702 said:

He’s going to be 59 years old.  Very rare for a high major school to hire somebody north of 60.

We had just that with Pitino to St. Johns.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:15 PM, NevadaFan said:

I see what you did there

On 3/28/2023 at 7:17 PM, ph90702 said:

Seems like a lateral move.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:58 PM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

Double the money is a lateral move???

On 3/29/2023 at 8:15 PM, ph90702 said:

There’s more to life than money!    <---I Very true.  Sounds like a great title to a new thread.  

FOCUS:  You & I were discussing if Odom was making a "lateral move."

On 3/25/2023 at 5:53 AM, ph90702 said:

South Florida is not a step down from Utah State!

But it is a step down from UC Santa Barbara.

https://keyt.com/news/local-news/top-stories/2023/03/29/pasternack-talks-about-why-he-stayed-put-at-ucsb-despite-interest-from-cal-and-south-florida/