Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Ryan Odom…

On 3/27/2023 at 7:53 PM, Jalex4141 said:

What was USU's offer that made Odem the highest psid?

He was making ~800k, not sure what USF was going to offer but possibly double that.  Not sure where USU ended up on their offer extension.  It looks he turned the George Mason job.  The VCU coach is the leading candidate right now for the Penn State job.  If he takes it there are reports that VCU will look hard at Odom for their job.  Whatever happens I just hope he decides what he wants to do quickly so he can either continue to get the USU roster filled or USU can get a coach hired quickly.

Well that’s too bad, and it appears that Madsen is off the board.

Hopefully Utah State is able to find someone good.

Any timeframe for hiring the new AD? Definitely not an ideal situation.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:17 PM, bigd said:

Well that’s too bad, and it appears that Madsen is off the board.

Hopefully Utah State is able to find someone good.

I would not be surprised to see them call Todd Simon.  I get that he accepted the Bowling Green job, but Utah State and the MW is a step up.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:12 AM, roughrider said:

NIT runs don't mean what they once did.

How do you figure this? The NIT is a lot tougher to get into than it used to be. Back in the day, you could get in if you had decent home attendance and anything even remotely resembling an above .500 record. Now, they basically take all of the fringe NCAA tournament teams.

We (UNM) have had about 3 or 4 teams in the past decade that could have potentially made the old NIT field, but didn't even get a look. This year's UNLV team at 19-13 with the T&M would have been a lock for the NIT years ago, but they weren't close to being considered. If anything, I would think making an NIT run means more now.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:47 PM, TopLobo said:

How do you figure this? The NIT is a lot tougher to get into than it used to be. Back in the day, you could get in if you had decent home attendance and anything even remotely resembling an above .500 record. Now, they basically take all of the fringe NCAA tournament teams.

We (UNM) have had about 3 or 4 teams in the past decade that could have potentially made the old NIT field, but didn't even get a look. This year's UNLV team at 19-13 with the T&M would have been a lock for the NIT years ago, but they weren't close to being considered. If anything, I would think making an NIT run means more now.

Yeah I was thinking the same. The NIT is as competitive as ever, and more difficult to get in as an at-large like you mention.

I’m strongly against changing the NCAA tournament, but I wouldn’t be opposed to expanding the NIT and then doing away with the CBI.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:18 PM, ph90702 said:

I would not be surprised to see them call Todd Simon.  I get that he accepted the Bowling Green job, but Utah State and the MW is a step up.

Names to watch

Sprinkle: Montana State

Miles: San Jose State

Acker: SDSU assistant 

Dixon: current assistant

There may be others but that’s who I’m hearing as of now.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

4th head coach in five years.. losing one to your big brother rival in-state and another to a mid-major (albeit closer to home but a mid-major, nonetheless). Need to go after another Stew that will treat the job as a destination otherwise USU will continue to be just a stepping stone. 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:12 AM, B_Lootz said:

4th head coach in five years.. losing one to your big brother rival in-state and another to a mid-major (albeit closer to home but a mid-major, nonetheless). Need to go after another Stew that will treat the job as a destination otherwise USU will continue to be just a stepping stone. 

Agreed, I think all Aggies would like that to happen.  That being said with these short term coaches the Aggies have went to the NCAA tournament 4 out of the last 5 years and the other year hosted an NIT game.  As long as coaches do something similar in the future i am fine coaches being here for 2-3 years although that will be hard to replicate.

Tell me where we can find such a coach please. I guess it's marginally better to lose your coaches due to success than having to fire them due to failure. It all sucks.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Wish my program could enjoy the type of success the utags do. Who gives a shit if you are a stepping stone. Doesn't seem to matter who the coach is

On 3/29/2023 at 9:27 AM, Bob said:

Wish my program could enjoy the type of success the utags do. Who gives a shit if you are a stepping stone. Doesn't seem to matter who the coach is

Seems like it. They’re batting .800 with hires going back 30 years when they poached Eustachy. We’ll see if they can continue at that clip.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:59 AM, madmartigan said:

Names to watch

Sprinkle: Montana State

Miles: San Jose State

Acker: SDSU assistant 

Dixon: current assistant

There may be others but that’s who I’m hearing as of now.

Sprinkle should be at or near the top of the list.

I’ve heard really good things about Acker from an ex D1 coach who’s a friend of mine. He was hoping that Acker would get the Loyola Marymount job a couple of years ago.

Dixon would be great from a continuity perspective.

I would rate Miles a longshot.  Based on how much his wife didn’t enjoy the superior lifestyle of Fort Collins, I don’t think she’d be very happy in Logan.

On 3/29/2023 at 9:39 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

I’ve heard really good things about Acker from an ex D1 coach who’s a friend of mine. He was hoping that Acker would get the Loyola Marymount job a couple of years ago.

I would rate Miles a longshot.  Based on how much his wife didn’t enjoy the superior lifestyle of Fort Collins, I don’t think she’d be very happy in Logan.

Speaking of LMU- Stan Johnson would also be on my list. 

Miles is VERY MUCH a long shot given his buyout is 1MM. He wanted the USU job after Craig Smith left. This is the reason I have him on here. 

On 3/29/2023 at 9:39 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

Sprinkle seems like a really solid option.  He has done a great job at Montana State.  He is also someone that would be affordable and his buyout would not be as high.