Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

RIP Willis Reed

As a native New Yorker, the Knicks will always be my #1 NBA team and Willis Reed delivered what is still one of the memorable moments in NBA history.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35912570/new-york-knicks-legend-willis-reed-dies-80

New York was set to face Wilt Chamberlain and the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 7 of the NBA Finals that day at Madison Square Garden in the hopes of winning the franchise's first-ever championship. Reed -- who had missed Game 6 with a severe thigh injury -- wasn't expected to play.

But Reed stunned the sellout crowd at the World's Most Famous Arena by walking out of the tunnel to the iconic call of "Here comes Willis" by radio broadcaster Marv Albert.

Reed then scored the first two baskets of the game -- the only two he would score across 27 minutes of action. But the emotional lift he gave the Knicks -- coupled with fellow Hall of Famer Walt "Clyde" Frazier scoring 36 points and dishing out 19 assists in the greatest game of his career -- delivered New York its first NBA title in what became known to history as "The Willis Reed Game."

I remember Hall of Famer Willis Reed and that championship series between your Knicks and my Lakers. May he rest in peace. 

Willis put a dagger through the hearts of Laker fans that day.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 3/21/2023 at 4:25 PM, renoskier said:

Willis provided the emotional lift but it was Walt "Clyde" Frazier who did the damage.

As a young Lakers fan, it felt like they were always the bridesmaids in that era. Much like the Dodgers of the 50's.

Americans Mayor

On 3/22/2023 at 9:34 AM, Spaztecs said:

As a young Lakers fan, it felt like they were always the bridesmaids in that era. Much like the Dodgers of the 50's.

yeah, they had to deal will Bill Russell and the Celtics for a decade

At any rate, RIP Willis.

There are numerous Centers from that era that are in the HoF.  The NBA was a big mans game back then and Willis stood amongst the best.

Americans Mayor

My old man was a massive Knicks fan, his favorite team of all the teams he supported and he missed that first title because he was in Vietnam but he was around for 73. He used to tell me Reed's 1970 season was the best season any NBA ever had up to that point. Guy won everything you could win that year. 

I'm too young to have ever seen him but I swear my dad would have cheated on my mom with Reed , Frazier or Dave DeBusschere if he could have 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Jaedon Ledee's cousin.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke