Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

SDSU appreciation thread!!!

On 3/18/2023 at 5:47 PM, TopLobo said:

Will it though? A lot of people out there just see SDSU as a future Pac-12 team, whether or not that's the case. MWC football, with Utah and TCU, won three major bowl games (Fiesta, Sugar, and Rose), but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone out there that gives the MWC credit for those bowl wins since Utah and TCU moved on to bigger conferences. TCU's win in the Rose Bowl over Wisconsin happened in their last year before being a Big 12 team, so I think a lot of people just see it as a Big 12 team winning, not a lowly MWC team.

If the Aztecs are in the Pac-12 or Big 12 this time next year, no one will remember or care that the MWC is getting a Sweet 16. I think the only way to truly get a reputation is for multiple teams, and different teams besides just SDSU, doing things on a national stage.

Utah and TCU's BCS wins are tied to the MWC, even to any CFB fan with a shred of knowledge.  Just like most of us recognize BSU's success in the WAC as WAC success.

We are MWC.  Our success is tied to the MWC until we are no longer MWC.  Then the records and wins will still be tied to MWC, as they should.

On 3/18/2023 at 2:41 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

With all the dissing of Reno and the Aztecs, I feel compelled to ask this: When was the last time a MWC school not named San Diego State University or the University of Nevada won an NCAA tournament game? The number of losses is so pathetic that I honestly can't remember.

As far as I can tell, it was Colorado State:

2023 NCAA tournament - San Diego State defeated College of Charleston and Furman (so far)

2018 NCAA tournament - Nevada defeated Texas and Cincinnati

2015 NCAA tournament - San Diego State defeated St. John's

2014 NCAA tournament - San Diego State defeated New Mexico State and North Dakota State

2013 NCAA tournament - Colorado State defeated Missouri and San Diego State defeated Oklahoma

2012 NCAA tournament - New Mexico defeated Long Beach State

2011 NCAA tournament - Brigham Young defeated Wofford and Gonzaga and San Diego State defeated Northern Colorado and Temple

2010 NCAA tournament - Brigham Young defeated Florida and New Mexico defeated Montana

2008 NCAA tournament - UNLV defeated Kent State

2007 NCAA tournament - UNLV defeated Georgia Tech and Wisconsin

2005 NCAA tournament - Utah defeated UTEP and Oklahoma

2003 NCAA tournament - Utah defeated Oregon

2002 NCAA tournament - Utah defeated Saint Louis and Wyoming defeated Gonzaga

Wins:

SDSU - 8

Utah - 4

BYU - 3

UNLV - 3

Nevada - 2

New Mexico - 2

Colorado State - 1

Wyoming - 1

Everybody else - 0

Total - 24

So SDSU has a full third of all MWC NCAA tournament wins.  Almost another third were won by teams no longer in the conference.  Utah is the only MW team with a better NCAA tournament win percentage than SDSU.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/mwc/men/ncaa.html

On 3/18/2023 at 9:24 PM, Pelado said:

One of the toughest games we've ever been in. That LBSU team was relentless. Then we lost by 3 to eventual F4 team Louisville in the next round. What could have been...

On 3/18/2023 at 8:55 PM, TopLobo said:

One of the toughest games we've ever been in. That LBSU team was relentless. Then we lost by 3 to eventual F4 team Louisville in the next round. What could have been...

They had a future NBA player in James Ennis.  Solid team.  Dan Monson's best in all his time in Long Beach.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:13 PM, soupslam1 said:

Watching Bama the Aztecs are going to have their hands full. They have great athletes at every position. 

I like our chances.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 3/18/2023 at 9:31 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

Bama is one of those fun teams to watch.   Would take a Herculean effort for the Aztecs

Were we watching the same game?  I don't see it. They're plenty talented but young and slight.  I think we bully them.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 3/18/2023 at 8:24 PM, Pelado said:

2023 NCAA tournament - San Diego State defeated College of Charleston and Furman (so far)

2014 NCAA tournament - San Diego State defeated New Mexico State and North Dakota State

2013 NCAA tournament - Colorado State defeated Missouri and San Diego State defeated Oklahoma

2011 NCAA tournament - Brigham Young defeated Wofford and Gonzaga and San Diego State defeated Northern Colorado and Temple

2010 NCAA tournament - Brigham Young defeated Florida and New Mexico defeated Montana

Wins:

SDSU - 8

Utah - 4

BYU - 3

UNLV - 3

Nevada - 2

New Mexico - 2

Colorado State - 1

Wyoming - 1

Everybody else - 0

Total - 24

So SDSU has a full third of all MWC NCAA tournament wins.  Almost another third were won by teams no longer in the conference.  Utah is the only MW team with a better NCAA tournament win percentage than SDSU.

Nevada also won games in 2004, 2005 and 2007. 

On 3/18/2023 at 10:23 PM, SDSUfan said:

Were we watching the same game?  I don't see it. They're plenty talented but young and slight.  I think we bully them.

I have watched quite a few Bama games.  What I am hoping for is we play like we did today, and they play like they did vs Oklahoma

On 3/18/2023 at 10:59 AM, Cincy said:

SUDS have lucked getting a cakewalk first two round matchups. 
Reality will appear like a brick to the face when they play Alabama. 

They deserve a break because their Final 4 caliber team never got a chance at the dance because of Covid. 

kat.jpg

On 3/18/2023 at 8:24 PM, Pelado said:

Wins:

SDSU - 8

Nevada - 6

Utah - 4

BYU - 3

UNLV - 3

New Mexico - 2

Colorado State - 1

Wyoming - 1

Everybody else - 0

Total - 24

Fixed it for you.

Since 2004, Nevada has won 6 NCAA tourney games

Michigan St.
Gonzaga 
Texas 
Texas
Creighton
Cincinnati 

kat.jpg

On 3/18/2023 at 11:31 PM, FresnoStateBulldogFan said:

Congrats on arriving to the sweet 16… your journey ends here!

I’ll take “what is something Fresno State fans will never hear because their basketball team can’t dance?,” Alex!

Just like you’ll never hear “welcome to the Big 12” either :)

On 3/19/2023 at 1:53 AM, Aztecmg said:

I’ll take “what is something Fresno State fans will never hear because their basketball team can’t dance?,” Alex!

Just like you’ll never hear “welcome to the Big 12” either :)

I am glad that you used this jeopardy example because we are going to who is right and who is the retard! BIG12 here we come!!!