Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

SDSU appreciation thread!!!

Classy thread started by a Fresno fan.  For those of you that are not as familiar with March Madness.  If your team has a great year, they are rewarded with a higher seed and play worse opponents on the first weekend.  Thats how this works.  Sorry if I went there and Aztecsplained it to you.

On 3/18/2023 at 11:53 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

The Aztecs are freaking great this year. Their fans, perhaps conditioned by previous disappointments the past decade, really focus on their shortcomings. Fans do that. But when I see this team it looks like going to battle against a tiger.

They physically can match up with anybody. The Alabama game will be interesting. Tecs match them physically, but Bama is young and tecs are very veteran.

On 3/18/2023 at 3:02 PM, kingpotato said:

They physically can match up with anybody. The Alabama game will be interesting. Tecs match them physically, but Bama is young and tecs are very veteran.

They do all the lunch pail part of basketball well. They’ll battle you on D and on the glass. They’re a tough out. Bama has the high end skill to overcome all that, but they have to execute. The Aztecs aren’t stuck in there with them, they’re stuck in there with the Aztecs.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 3/18/2023 at 3:02 PM, kingpotato said:

Bame had to get by Maryland first

On 3/18/2023 at 5:57 PM, renoskier said:

Bame had to get by Maryland first

In this tournament that’s not a given. Two #1 seeds have lost and the third is currently losing. The Aztecs picked the right time to be playing their best ball. I hope they win the NC so I can say Boise State beat the national champions. Lol

On 3/18/2023 at 10:59 AM, Cincy said:

SUDS have lucked getting a cakewalk first two round matchups. 
Reality will appear like a brick to the face when they play Alabama. 

Possibly, but at least we are still standing atm. 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:40 AM, thedude15 said:

If they can somehow win one more game then this NCAAT is actually going to a net positive for the MW reputation.

Will it though? A lot of people out there just see SDSU as a future Pac-12 team, whether or not that's the case. MWC football, with Utah and TCU, won three major bowl games (Fiesta, Sugar, and Rose), but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone out there that gives the MWC credit for those bowl wins since Utah and TCU moved on to bigger conferences. TCU's win in the Rose Bowl over Wisconsin happened in their last year before being a Big 12 team, so I think a lot of people just see it as a Big 12 team winning, not a lowly MWC team.

If the Aztecs are in the Pac-12 or Big 12 this time next year, no one will remember or care that the MWC is getting a Sweet 16. I think the only way to truly get a reputation is for multiple teams, and different teams besides just SDSU, doing things on a national stage.

On 3/18/2023 at 6:42 PM, NorNevLifer said:

Great job Aztecs! I don’t get how anyone could be against this when it benefits the whole conference. I’ll be cheering them on to keep the dream alive.

As much as it's annoying to see SDSU dominate this conference year after year, no one can deny that they do it the right way. Their coach is a class act, their players seem very high character and stay out of trouble, and they put defense and teamwork above all else. The only real a-hole player they've ever had was Jamaal Franklin, and IIRC he didn't have any off-court issues.

On 3/18/2023 at 5:52 PM, TopLobo said:

As much as it's annoying to see SDSU dominate this conference year after year, no one can deny that they do it the right way. Their coach is a class act, their players seem very high character and stay out of trouble, and they put defense and teamwork above all else. The only real a-hole player they've ever had was Jamaal Franklin, and IIRC he didn't have any off-court issues.

I’ve met quite a few Aztec players over the years in the gym as my personal trainer was the Aztec strength coach (he’s now on the Clippers staff to train Kawhi). A lot of the players would train with him in the offseason when they came back from overseas leagues. I used to find Jamaal annoying as an Aztec, but he’s an incredibly nice guy in person. He remembers you, says hi after not seeing you for nearly a year, and is very unassuming. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 3/18/2023 at 5:42 PM, NorNevLifer said:

Great job Aztecs! I don’t get how anyone could be against this when it benefits the whole conference. I’ll be cheering them on to keep the dream alive.

The answer to your dilemma is that there are a number of drooling fools on this board.

I don't know how accurate it is but somebody on the main SDSU board said this afternoon that by his calculations our basketball team has already earned every basketball school in this conference an additional $210K annually for the next six years. If he didn't assume SDSU won't be in the conference come July 2024 and SDSU isn't replaced upon leaving, there would be a few more shackels for everyone.

On 3/18/2023 at 6:23 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

The answer to your dilemma is that there are a number of drooling fools on this board.

I don't know how accurate it is but somebody on the main SDSU board said this afternoon that by his calculations our basketball team has already earned every basketball school in this conference an additional $210K annually for the next six years. If he didn't assume SDSU won't be in the conference come July 2024 and SDSU isn't replaced upon leaving, there would be a few more shackels for everyone.

You talking Aztec Mesa? That place blows. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 3/18/2023 at 12:40 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

Transitive property games…

SDSU beat a team that lost to the likes of Citadel (10-22), Western Carolina (18-15) and High Point (14-17) among others.  

That’s what getting a five seed will do for you. 

On 3/18/2023 at 5:47 PM, TopLobo said:

Will it though? A lot of people out there just see SDSU as a future Pac-12 team, whether or not that's the case. MWC football, with Utah and TCU, won three major bowl games (Fiesta, Sugar, and Rose), but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone out there that gives the MWC credit for those bowl wins since Utah and TCU moved on to bigger conferences. TCU's win in the Rose Bowl over Wisconsin happened in their last year before being a Big 12 team, so I think a lot of people just see it as a Big 12 team winning, not a lowly MWC team.

If the Aztecs are in the Pac-12 or Big 12 this time next year, no one will remember or care that the MWC is getting a Sweet 16. I think the only way to truly get a reputation is for multiple teams, and different teams besides just SDSU, doing things on a national stage.

Maybe not but it's a hell of a lot better than hearing the MWC has lost 12 straight NCAA tournament games/hasn't won a game since Nevada's sweet 16 run. So maybe the MWC doesn't fully benefit from it but it beats the alternative and the conference will benefit from the tournament credits regardless of whether SDSU stays or leaves.