Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Can Someone Explain To Me That Dominion Can Prove Damages?

On 3/30/2023 at 7:13 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Dude, ‘defamation per se’ isn’t as easy to get as you might think. It varies by state, and there’s so much grey area in some of it.

Look at this example. Doctor A didn’t like  Doctor B, and wrote a bunch of letters to other doctors that Doctor B is a liar, has character flaws, untrustworthy, etc. and that seems to fall right into the D per se category of defamation affecting your professional standing and means to earn a living. 

But the court ruled that it’s not a D per se situation because the lie wasn’t a about a specific medical procedure or issue. I would argue that honesty applies to a lot of areas in being a doctor, and if everyone at work began to believe you were a liar, fraudulent, untrustworthy, etc.  it would be very damaging to your career/profession and advancement. 

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/tx-supreme-court/1631622.html

Feel free to re-read my handful of posts if you need to, you will see I never said that it was “easy”. You keep rambling about Dominion not being able to prove damages according to you, as if it’s some sort of “mic drop”. As if no damages then bingo bango Fox wins. I have simply pointed out to you, numerous times, that it’s POSSIBLE Dominion won’t even have to prove specific damages. It’s POSSIBLE you are obsessing over a part of a lawsuit that won’t matter as much as you think it will.

So, maybe just shut up about the damages and let the lawsuit play out?

On 3/30/2023 at 7:13 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Dude, ‘defamation per se’ isn’t as easy to get as you might think. It varies by state, and there’s so much grey area in some of it.

Look at this example. Doctor A didn’t like  Doctor B, and wrote a bunch of letters to other doctors that Doctor B is a liar, has character flaws, untrustworthy, etc. and that seems to fall right into the D per se category of defamation affecting your professional standing and means to earn a living. 

But the court ruled that it’s not a D per se situation because the lie wasn’t a about a specific medical procedure or issue. I would argue that honesty applies to a lot of areas in being a doctor, and if everyone at work began to believe you were a liar, fraudulent, untrustworthy, etc.  it would be very damaging to your career/profession and advancement. 

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/tx-supreme-court/1631622.html

You say you follow Dan Abrams. He has said on his show that this is the strongest defamation case he has seen. His father, one of the foremost 1A attorneys ever agrees. 

I am not going to play internet lawyer, I am going to rely on the experts and see how it plays out.

A Venezualan Businessman who has brought similiar claims against Faux News has settled out of Court.

It seems there is some bite with this bark.

Fox News reaches settlement with Venezuelan businessman in election defamation case

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/10/media/us-fox-election-lawsuit-settlement-hnk-intl/index.html

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 4/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, Spaztecs said:

A Venezualan Businessman who has brought similiar claims against Faux News has settled out of Court.

It seems there is some bite with this bark.

Fox News reaches settlement with Venezuelan businessman in election defamation case

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/10/media/us-fox-election-lawsuit-settlement-hnk-intl/index.html

I'm really thinking that Dominion wants this to go to trial and is uninterested in a settlement. Their case is effectively proven through Discovery and what they've filed. While the Judge didn't grant summary judgement, he effectively said that Fox doesn't have much of a leg to stand on with their defense. 

@Nevada Convert

Are you starting to see the case Dominion has ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 3/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, SharkTanked said:

You say you follow Dan Abrams. He has said on his show that this is the strongest defamation case he has seen. His father, one of the foremost 1A attorneys ever agrees. 

I am not going to play internet lawyer, I am going to rely on the experts and see how it plays out.

Speaking of Dan Abrams, and the Mediaite site that he owns, an important hurdle comes up:

”The Biggest Hole In Dominions Lawsuit Against Fox Is The Billion Dollar Payout It’s Asking For”

Let’s see, Dominion was valued at $69 Million right before the election, so they sure deserve $1.6 billion. I would make the case that this very public and long drawn out transparent case is giving Dominion billions worth of publicity that educates the public that what Fox said isn’t true, thus opinions about Dominion will be restored to the pre-election condition. It’s like an epic newspaper retraction on a story. 

I’m not saying Dominion doesn’t deserve some decent coin and attorney fees paid, but Dominion is being blatantly dishonest about their value. This is funny:

“In 2018, a majority stake in Dominion was purchased by Staple Street Capital, a hedge fund that placed a valuation of $80 million on the firm. Shortly before the election, Staple Street told investors that after applying a “conservatism discount” it valued Dominion at $69 million, according to documents obtained by Fox’s lawyers in discovery.

These valuations undermine that first assumption, which is exemplified by Dominion’s evaluation of its worth at $741 million before the alleged defamation.”

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/the-biggest-hole-in-dominions-lawsuit-against-fox-is-the-billion-dollar-payout-its-asking-for/

kat.jpg

On 4/15/2023 at 6:46 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Speaking of Dan Abrams, and the Mediaite site that he owns, an important hurdle comes up:

”The Biggest Hole In Dominions Lawsuit Against Fox Is The Billion Dollar Payout It’s Asking For”

Let’s see, Dominion was valued at $69 Million right before the election, so they sure deserve $1.6 billion. I would make the case that this very public and long drawn out transparent case is giving Dominion billions worth of publicity that educates the public that what Fox said isn’t true, thus opinions about Dominion will be restored to the pre-election condition. It’s like an epic newspaper retraction on a story. 

I’m not saying Dominion doesn’t deserve some decent coin and attorney fees paid, but Dominion is being blatantly dishonest about their value. This is funny:

“In 2018, a majority stake in Dominion was purchased by Staple Street Capital, a hedge fund that placed a valuation of $80 million on the firm. Shortly before the election, Staple Street told investors that after applying a “conservatism discount” it valued Dominion at $69 million, according to documents obtained by Fox’s lawyers in discovery.

These valuations undermine that first assumption, which is exemplified by Dominion’s evaluation of its worth at $741 million before the alleged defamation.”

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/the-biggest-hole-in-dominions-lawsuit-against-fox-is-the-billion-dollar-payout-its-asking-for/

So are you trying to subtly change your argument from “there aren’t damages” to “the damages are less than Dominion is claiming”? 

On 4/15/2023 at 6:46 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Yeah the ask seems too high. I don't think they will end up getting near what they are asking but will be interesting to watch and see what happens. 

On 4/15/2023 at 7:24 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

So are you trying to subtly change your argument from “there aren’t damages” to “the damages are less than Dominion is claiming”? 

My second post in this thread:

“Don’t get me wrong, while I’m not a big fan of Dominion, Fox deserves to lose this lawsuit for what damages D can prove.”

And I’ll add that they deserve whatever punitive they have coming.

kat.jpg