Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cougar King

MWC is a 1 bid league at best.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:25 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I was having  quick beer at a clubhouse in WA with my SDSU shirt on before we were playing the semi-game in the conference tournament, and a lady saw my logo and said she was an Aztec from the early 90's.  Pre-Viejas level.  She is going to be bringing her daughter down for a tour and asked about SDSU, and the conversation took about 45 minutes to explain all of the differences of campus from then to now.  

"What’s an Aquaplex?" 

"Viejas is built in Aztec Bowl?!?!"

"Is Monty's still there?"

I felt there were so many times an "Oh, honey..." should have been said.

And there's an underground trolley station on campus that wasn't there in the 90's either. Direct route to Snapdragon stadium and many points beyond. I'm sure that's a pretty good selling point these days to prospective students.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:01 PM, thatsmymammy said:

He trolled this site well. 

I dropped 2 or 3 posts and they got so riled up, they made a 14 page thread. I am easily one of the best college sports forum trolls of all time.

Cougars fight for Dear ol' UofH

For our alma mater cheer

Fight for Houston University

For victory is near

When the going get so rough and tough

We never worry, CAUSE WE GOT THE STUFF!

So fight! Fight! Fight for Red and White!

And we will go to victory!

At the University of Houston, they're taught that 2 or 3 = 18.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:46 PM, Cougar King said:

I dropped 2 or 3 posts and they got so riled up, they made a 14 page thread. I am easily one of the best college sports forum trolls of all time.

Congeniality is definitely not in your wheelhouse; however you did get a reaction if that is what you were going for.  Even gentrified, archaic, has been TCU RSF.  Props for that.  Super props.  

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 3/30/2023 at 4:46 PM, Cougar King said:

you play like a bitch...lol

On 3/30/2023 at 5:48 PM, Coog kev said:

Congeniality is definitely not in your wheelhouse; however you did get a reaction if that is what you were going for.  Even gentrified, archaic, has been TCU RSF.  Props for that.  Super props.  

houston sucks foo...lol

On 3/30/2023 at 4:46 PM, Cougar King said:

you got weak shit...probably wouldn't make the 2nd round of the troll derby

On 3/30/2023 at 7:48 PM, Coog kev said:

Congrats for correctly spelling, if not correctly using, gentrified and archaic.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 3/30/2023 at 7:46 PM, Cougar King said:

“Look at all these guys make fun of me and the sewer I call home! I win!”

Some people just need attention. Lol.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:48 PM, Aztec Since 88 said:

Ahhh! the good 'ol' days.  I spent many afternoons on the patio at Monty's.

As did I Fall '85 - '87, almost every Fri-afternoon.

I was staying w/a lady friend who had a conf at the Hotel Del & snuck away to Monty's on a Fri-afternoon, like 2006-ish & nothing but crickets.  So sad.  :-(

On 3/28/2023 at 8:24 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Back in the ‘70’s there were commercial buildings fronting College Avenue just south of Aztec Center. They were all torn down for the underground light rail station. Of course Aztec Center is now gone as well. Anyway, there was a little alley between the buildings, and in the alley a little dive called “The Two-Bit Sandwich Shop.” The lunch special was a grilled roast beef and cheese sandwich and a mug of beer for a buck. I went in there on my first day at State as a 17-year old Freshman and got served. That lunch special was the base of my nutrition for several years. During Happy Hour 60-ounce pitchers were $2.50. Many were consumed. 

You can't be that much of an "Old...Dude" old then.

Didn't Two Bit pop up '88-ish near Kinko's, behind KPBS?

My go to was the #5 at Rubio's across-the-street from Two Bit & across the alley from the 7-11, in the shadow of Zura Hall.  Fish burrito & Fish Taco w/all the fixings for $5.50.

---------------------------------------------------------

¿No more Aztec Cntr...WTF???  ¿Where's the student union now,...where's is Monty's Den?

On 3/31/2023 at 7:56 AM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

My go to was the #5 at Rubio's across-the-street from Two Bit & across the alley from the 7-11, in the shadow of Zura Hall.  Fish burrito & Fish Taco w/all the fixings for $5.50.

¿No more Aztec Cntr...WTF???  ¿Where's the student union now,...where's is Monty's Den?

I graduated in ‘80. If the Two-Bit relocated when the light rail came I was unaware. It’s not around now. Aztec Center has been replaced by a much larger Student Union. There’s a pedestrian bridge crossing College Ave. It’s very nice. 

428F4DF6-CEF6-41AF-87EE-3B2A52397A6D.jpeg

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 3/31/2023 at 7:56 AM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

Replaced with an expanded student union on the same site.  Monty's Den (wasn't called that when I went there in '09, bar was called Louie's) is also gone, the bar vendor essentially got pushed out, and didn't get a legacy space in the new union.  Most of us are guessing bids from corporate entities would be more lucrative and hold better liability insurance, but it was probably one of the bigger things that ticked off a lot of people about this

san-diego-state-university-aztec-student

On 3/31/2023 at 8:08 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I graduated in ‘80. If the Two-Bit relocated when the light rail came I was unaware. It’s not around now. Aztec Center has been replaced by a much larger Student Union. There’s a pedestrian bridge crossing College Ave. It’s very nice. 

428F4DF6-CEF6-41AF-87EE-3B2A52397A6D.jpeg

Looking at campus on Google Earth timeline feature is pretty crazy to see the development, and you can see the trolley develop.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:06 PM, RSF said:

At the University of Houston, they're taught that 2 or 3 = 18.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 3/31/2023 at 8:09 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Replaced with an expanded student union on the same site.  Monty's Den (wasn't called that when I went there in '09, bar was called Louie's) is also gone, the bar vendor essentially got pushed out, and didn't get a legacy space in the new union.  Most of us are guessing bids from corporate entities would be more lucrative and hold better liability insurance, but it was probably one of the bigger things that ticked off a lot of people about this

san-diego-state-university-aztec-student

¡WOW...IMPRESSIVE new student union!  ¿Is the student union still student owned by AS/SDSU?  I remember back-in-the-day, when I sat on the AS/Finance Board & the BoD for Aztec Shops, they were always bragging that Aztec Center was the largest (budget wise...$6mm/annually) student owned student union in-the-country & that the Mission Bay Aquatic Cntr (we shared w/UCSD) was the nations largest collegiate waterfront facility, back in the mid-'80s.

@Old_SD_Dude & @East Coast Aztec

Q:  ¿Did they build over the Open Air Amphitheater & the Campus Lab Lawn, or is it still there & just outside the frame of the picture?  

Q:  ¿Did they add a skirt of red Spanish roof tiles 'round the top of Love Library.  

Q:  ¿Is Aztec Shops the building with all the A/C units in the middle of the roof?  

Q:  ¿Did they relocate the elementary school/day care cntr to another part of campus?

WOW...all this is new since 2006 & my last walk-around most of the campus.  I guess I never made it to that part of campus the last few times I went to games at Viejas.

C6AAA0F9-5D42-4074-A264-95897218E65B.jpeg

On 3/31/2023 at 8:36 AM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

¡WOW...IMPRESSIVE new student union!  ¿Is the student union still student owned by AS/SDSU?  I remember back-in-the-day, when I sat on the AS/Finance Board & the BoD for Aztec Shops, they were always bragging that Aztec Center was the largest (budget wise...$6mm/annually) student owned student union in-the-country & that the Mission Bay Aquatic Cntr (we shared w/UCSD) was the nations largest collegiate waterfront facility, back in the mid-'80s.

@Old_SD_Dude & @East Coast Aztec

Q:  ¿Did they build over the Open Air Amphitheater & the Campus Lab Lawn, or is it still there & just outside the frame of the picture?  

Q:  ¿Did they add a skirt of red Spanish roof tiles 'round the top of Love Library.  

Q:  ¿Is Aztec Shops the building with all the A/C units in the middle of the roof?  

Q:  ¿Did they relocate the elementary school/day care cntr to another part of campus?

WOW...all this is new since 2006 & my last walk-around most of the campus.  I guess I never made it to that part of campus the last few times I went to games at Viejas.

C6AAA0F9-5D42-4074-A264-95897218E65B.jpeg

We are viewing at a slightly northeast in this photo.  Love Library and OAT are to the west.  Besides a secured perimeter entryway and new seating and stage at OAT, neither have really changed much in my opinion.  Love has digitized much of its records, and there is a foyer area with a glass dome as an entry way outside of the main library, it may predate you, but not sure

5CalCoast.jpg

02912-Library_589x325.jpg

Yes the building with the HVAC is the Aztec Shops store, with east commons next to it.

The daycare center is across College Ave, just to the north of the dorms.  Not sure about an elementary school unless you are talking Hardy, which is still there.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:48 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

We are viewing at a slightly northeast in this photo.  Love Library and OAT are to the west.  Besides a secured perimeter entryway and new seating and stage at OAT, neither have really changed much in my opinion.  Love has digitized much of its records, and there is a foyer area with a glass dome as an entry way outside of the main library, it may predate you, but not sure

5CalCoast.jpg

02912-Library_589x325.jpg

Thx for setting me straight @East Coast Aztec.  I saw lots of FREE shows at the OAT back in the day with AS/SDSU hook-up.  ¿Are they still bringing top-notch show through that venue, or are all the newer pro-venues stealing shows that used to be on campus?

YUP...this is the first time I've see the glass dome.  Reminds me of the pyramid added outside of the Louver in Paris...haha.