Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DobyZhee

Colin Kapernick calls his parents racist

On 3/17/2023 at 11:46 AM, happycamper said:

Halfman in college I dated a filipino girl for 5 years. For a while it looked like that was who I was going to marry. 

My dad absolutely went in on the "model minority" stuff and told me that because of her "culture" (lol, she was born in covina and grew up in denver) she would be more ok with traditional gender roles. Said that outside of "western culture" marriage "Works better". 

Is a super good dad, very supportive, very loving, very kind. Taught me racism and homophobia are wrong. But he also does the "but where are you REALLY from" to people who aren't white and gets mad when I call him out on it - for something he himself was sensitive to, 20 years ago.

If I wrote a memoir, I'd include both parts. They're both important parts of my life. 

Your dad is racist because he wants to know someone's ancestry?

On 3/17/2023 at 1:50 PM, Bob said:

Your dad is racist because he wants to know someone's ancestry?

oh bob your disingenuous racism never fails to disappoint 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

When I was living in San Diego years ago, I was at Mission Beach doing the boogie boarding thing at night (not supposed to because it can be dangerous), but one time I just happened to meet a chick out there and we totally hit it off. We’d always meet there as kind of a cool date thing because it was something we loved to do. 

Over time it got pretty serious, but my parents were kind of concerned that they’d never been able to meet her or why I never brought her home. 

I finally broke the news to them that she was a halfwoman….she was a mermaid. My mom just flipped! “Now how exactly do you plan to pro-create with this halfwoman so I get to have some lovely grandchildren?”

My mom made an excellent point, and an even better point is…how am I supposed to have sex with a fvcking mermaid? So I listened to my mom and dad, and their prejudice against halfwoman mermaids was probably the best advice they’ve ever given me. Sadly, I broke up with her, but it was for the best.

kat.jpg

On 3/17/2023 at 11:04 AM, Nevada Convert said:

When I was living in San Diego years ago, I was at Mission Beach doing the boogie boarding thing at night (not supposed to because it can be dangerous), but one time I just happened to meet a chick out there and we totally hit it off. We’d always meet there as kind of a cool date thing because it was something we loved to do. 

Over time it got pretty serious, but my parents were kind of concerned that they’d never been able to meet her or why I never brought her home. 

I finally broke the news to them that she was a halfwoman….she was a mermaid. My mom just flipped! “Now how exactly do you plan to pro-create with this halfwoman so I get to have some lovely grandchildren?”

My mom made an excellent point, and an even better point is…how am I supposed to have sex with a fvcking mermaid? So I listened to my mom and dad, and their prejudice against halfwoman mermaids was probably the best advice they’ve ever given me. Sadly, I broke up with her, but it was for the best.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:46 AM, happycamper said:

....he also does the "but where are you REALLY from" to people who aren't white  

shit, not the "REALLY" part but I pretty much do that with anyone I meet who has a foreign accent...black, brown, white, or green 

I'm curious and sincerely interested :shrug:

On 3/17/2023 at 11:33 AM, renoskier said:

shit, not the "REALLY" part but I pretty much do that with anyone I meet who has a foreign accent...black, brown, white, or green 

In Happy’s post he said his girlfriend was born and raised in the U.S. I’m guessing she spoke with an American accent, as people from the U.S. tend to do.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:33 PM, renoskier said:

Sure, I do too. But if a guy who looks Chinese says "Philly" then I don't press and say "ok but where are you REALLY from". I think of them as "xxx from Philly". 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

You should put that in your book.

The movies have it wrong. The top half is fish, bottom half human. You’d have been fine. Your kids would have been 1/4 sea animal but otherwise nbd. 

On 3/17/2023 at 3:59 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

The movies have it wrong. The top half is fish, bottom half human. You’d have been fine. Your kids would have been 1/4 sea animal but otherwise nbd. 

maxresdefault.jpg

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:45 AM, modestobulldog said:

So, are you equating CK parents to OJ?  I think some of your points may have merit if he was abused, but I haven’t heard of anyone claiming such other than CK and considering the parents stability and love for him, I am not buying it.   Do I know with 100% certainty?  No. I think you have gone off the rails with your adamance, 100% acceptance of his story and victimhood.

I'm comparing them to OJ insofar as the idea that "Everyone says they are great to him" can mean nothing. There are a million examples of "great" people who are in reality emotionally and physically abusive to the people they love. And I picked the most famous example. Doesn;'t mean I think his parents are abusive, just that people saying they are great is not clear evidence they are great. 

If you think that means I think CK's mom is a murderer, then that's on you.

But I'm glad that you think you have any sense of what the threshold should be before a person states something publicly about their relationship with their parents. Do you have a scale of abuse that one has to get to before someone can tell their own story? 

I am not adamant about accepting his story beyond pushing back against the adamance of folks (including yourself) who have decided to turn this into a thing. And, again, we all know why this is turning into a thing. If he was complaining about his mom being a neglectful hippie, you would believe him 100 % and wouldn't consider it at all a problem that he was dragging his lefty mom in his book. You should admit this to yourself. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:33 PM, smltwnrckr said:

I'm comparing them to OJ insofar as the idea that "Everyone says they are great to him" can mean nothing. There are a million examples of "great" people who are in reality emotionally and physically abusive to the people they love. And I picked the most famous example. Doesn;'t mean I think his parents are abusive, just that people saying they are great is not clear evidence they are great. 

If you think that means I think CK's mom is a murderer, then that's on you.

But I'm glad that you think you have any sense of what the threshold should be before a person states something publicly about their relationship with their parents. Do you have a scale of abuse that one has to get to before someone can tell their own story? 

I am not adamant about accepting his story beyond pushing back against the adamance of folks (including yourself) who have decided to turn this into a thing. And, again, we all know why this is turning into a thing. If he was complaining about his mom being a neglectful hippie, you would believe him 100 % and wouldn't consider it at all a problem that he was dragging his lefty mom in his book. You should admit this to yourself. 

His boomer mom did not approve of his haircut like pretty much every boomer mom ever who has raised kids at some point.  

Now his parents are forefront of the news for, "perpetuating racism" in his childhood home, in his exact words.

He's a tool.  

On 3/17/2023 at 6:08 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

His boomer mom did not approve of his haircut like pretty much every boomer mom ever who has raised kids at some point.  

Now his parents are forefront of the news for, "perpetuating racism" in his childhood home, in his exact words.

He's a tool.  

Boomers

Boomers

(I'm working on the rest of the lyrics)

On 3/17/2023 at 5:08 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

He's a tool.  

But they did perpetuate racism. Unless u think he's a liar. 

So why are you so mad about a famous person telling the truth about his childhood?

I tell people all the time that my parents +++++ed me up in all sorts of ways. I tell them too. I said some of it in my toast for their 50th anniversary party. If anyone cared enough about me to want me to write a meoir, i would absolutely put it in there.

Am I a tool for that? Maybe. But i still don't see why anyone should care. It's between me and my parents, and that's the risk you take for raising a famous person. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.