Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DobyZhee

Colin Kapernick calls his parents racist

On 3/17/2023 at 10:45 AM, modestobulldog said:

So, are you equating CK parents to OJ?  I think some of your points may have merit if he was abused, but I haven’t heard of anyone claiming such other than CK and considering the parents stability and love for him, I am not buying it.   Do I know with 100% certainty?  I think you have gone off the rails with your adamance, 100% acceptance of his story and victimhood.

He pretty obviously did not lmao modesto

On 3/17/2023 at 11:07 AM, Bob said:

Whatever. Same difference. They are not seen as socially acceptable for a serious, successful(monetarily) person. Don't care if they are clean or whatever. I can't go around wearing powdered wigs and expect to be taken seriously

huh I wonder why Kapernick would have mentioned people being anti-black hairstyles as racist

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 3/17/2023 at 9:37 AM, happycamper said:

huh I wonder why Kapernick would have mentioned people being anti-black hairstyles as racist

Plenty of "white" hairstyles are seen as social unserious too. LMAO. you people.

On 3/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, Bob said:

Plenty of "white" hairstyles are seen as social unserious too. LMAO. you people.

OK bob.

What hairstyles?

And what Black hairstyles are acceptable, to you?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I’ve never really been a fan of Kaep, I’ve found him to be pretty damn annoying despite him advocating for things I agree with. 

But while being raised by people that are not blood relatives and are a different race then you is not a super common thing, it’s something that I can relate to Kaep with to a degree (didn’t know bio dad, step dad and his parents raised me as their own up until I was 12, they are a different race than me). So hearing so many people opine on how Kaep “should” act towards his parents is very amusing for me.

On 3/17/2023 at 3:25 AM, toonkee said:

Whose parents haven’t said something at least kinda racist?

Doesn’t mean you should put in a book, but maybe if the book is about stuff like that, well then I don’t know.

I probably wouldn’t do that to my parents, as even inferring someone to be racist can be quite hurtful, but Kaepernick plays a rather unique role in this world. I’m sure he’s made the calculations. Is it possible Kaep discussed these things with his parents and got their blessing to put these experiences in the book? 

The kind of people they are, they love Colin so much that they would rationalize that he’s right, and then very much blame themselves very much for doing so even if they had no ill intent. Even if they gave him permission to do this, it’s purely out of love, and they’re willing to go through the pain to make it right. 

Colin’s failure to see or care about the pain this is causing his parents is off the chart. Not only is it not legitimate or fair to put this on them privately, he’s dragging them through the mud publicly so he can be a rock star activist and make a lot of money. 

I’m sure the black parents that didn’t let their kids wear their hair like that for the same reason were racist too. Such a joke. 

kat.jpg

Maybe an ungrateful kid lived with a behind-closed-door not great set of parents?  Foster situations are going to be strange, not everything turns out idyllic.  Kaep should be grateful for growing up in a better scenario than what would have been, but if he has an opinion that it wasn't all roses, so be it.  I think it is in poor taste to do it publicly, but I am not really that triggered by it like some people are.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:21 AM, grandjean87 said:

My grandmother used to refer to her large apartment complex near D.C. on the Maryland side as N... Heaven.  I'm leaving that part out of my memoir. 

I'm putting it in the forward.

On 3/17/2023 at 8:41 AM, Bob said:

hey Bob, you should get out more...hardly anyone cares anymore. I saw some wild purple hair at my lawyers office the other day, and it was a partner, not a client 

On 3/17/2023 at 10:07 AM, Bob said:

Whatever. Same difference. They are not seen as socially acceptable for a serious, successful(monetarily) person. Don't care if they are clean or whatever. I can't go around wearing powdered wigs and expect to be taken seriously

No one takes you seriously no matter what your hairstyle is.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:11 AM, SalinasSpartan said:

Again… I imagine your reaction would be slightly different if you were black though, wouldn’t it?

If I were a Black American who had a lineage to American slavery, I'd have reactions that differed to many things.  If I were a 21st Century Nigerian immigrant, I'd have different reactions from those.  If had an anti-colonial Kenyan world view like Obama, even different still.   Don't take that last one seriously (or, maybe any).  If I were of a certain personality, and Black, I might have an even less benign reaction to some old lady born in the 19th Century whom I  never really knew even if related.  Black folks differ.  

On 3/17/2023 at 9:13 AM, renoskier said:

My mom, may she rest in peace, and dad, were the greatest parents any kid could ask for....they were/are also racists, especially my mom.

There, now I'm as bad as Kaepernick :shrug:

I'll bet you showed them and still got the corn rows.

image.png.c17f35ad594c91708c7eae04ee0c1683.png

On 3/17/2023 at 9:13 AM, renoskier said:

My mom, may she rest in peace, and dad, were the greatest parents any kid could ask for....they were/are also racists, especially my mom.

There, now I'm as bad as Kaepernick :shrug:

My grandma always instilled the notion my grandpa was great (he died when my mom was early teens).   As she was in her final days she finally admitted some of the bad stuff he did to her.  

Not everything is peachy keen, and being told to not talk about it is stilly.  Critical Homelife Theory.  Can't talk about it or people will feel bad.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:16 AM, renoskier said:

hey Bob, you should get out more...hardly anyone cares anymore. I saw some wild purple hair at my lawyers office the other day, and it was a partner, not a client 

sure

On 3/17/2023 at 7:44 AM, happycamper said:

yes, halfman, when you instantly assume that someone writing a memoir is lying about their parents because their description wasn't "they were better than jesus", it means you have some weird hangups

Or implying your parents were racist, kind of makes you a shit human being.  Yeah, I think Kaep is full of it, as somebody who never had a problem with protesting our shitty anthem.

Shitty thing to do.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:18 AM, grandjean87 said:

If I were a Black American who had a lineage to American slavery, I'd have reactions that differed to many things.  If I were a 21st Century Nigerian immigrant, I'd have different reactions from those.  If had an anti-colonial Kenyan world view like Obama, even different still.   Don't take that last one seriously (or, maybe any).  If I were of a certain personality, and Black, I might have an even less benign reaction to some old lady born in the 19th Century whom I  never really knew even if related.  Black folks differ.  

Which is why I wondered why you even bothered to share that anecdote about your grandmother considering how utterly irrelevant it is in the context of a discussion about Kaep and his parents. 

On 3/17/2023 at 11:29 AM, SalinasSpartan said:

Which is why I wondered why you even bothered to share that anecdote about your grandmother considering how utterly irrelevant it is in the context of a discussion about Kaep and his parents. 

I find the whole Kap book/interviews almost gossip column stuff.  I wasn't serious to begin with and having trouble even now.  I'm up for a serious one in another thread, another time.  

On 3/17/2023 at 1:19 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Or implying your parents were racist, kind of makes you a shit human being.  Yeah, I think Kaep is full of it, as somebody who never had a problem with protesting our shitty anthem.

Shitty thing to do.

Halfman in college I dated a filipino girl for 5 years. For a while it looked like that was who I was going to marry. 

My dad absolutely went in on the "model minority" stuff and told me that because of her "culture" (lol, she was born in covina and grew up in denver) she would be more ok with traditional gender roles. Said that outside of "western culture" marriage "Works better". 

Is a super good dad, very supportive, very loving, very kind. Taught me racism and homophobia are wrong. But he also does the "but where are you REALLY from" to people who aren't white and gets mad when I call him out on it - for something he himself was sensitive to, 20 years ago.

If I wrote a memoir, I'd include both parts. They're both important parts of my life.