quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2023 - 2024

On 5/10/2023 at 6:38 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

You might as well post a tweet that says LBJ is transferring out of the shitty Space Jam sequel bc you have about as good a chance of landing him.

However, given what great things his bro surely said about playing for a team that reached last year's NCG, I wouldn't be surprised to see him thumb his nose at NIL coin and come play on the Mesa. So look at the bright side... you might get to see him play on the same court as the Rebels twice.

I think he's chasing an even bigger NIL bag after not getting much interest sniffing around the NBA Draft. He probably wants something around what Hunter Dickinson  got for ditchin Michigan for Kansas

On 5/10/2023 at 9:05 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

[Checks calendar] Yep! :)

OFFSEASON NATTY > RUNNER-UP

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 5/10/2023 at 6:16 PM, 702_777 said:

When we have a better class than you after you were in the title game keep the same energy  :)

Undisputed Preseason Champions of the World for infinity years and running! 

winner-gif-1.gif

Welcome to UNLV basketball, btw! :cheers:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 5/10/2023 at 6:32 PM, Rebels18 said:

I think he's chasing an even bigger NIL bag after not getting much interest sniffing around the NBA Draft. He probably wants something around what Hunter Dickinson  got for ditchin Michigan for Kansas

OFFSEASON NATTY > RUNNER-UP

BTW, you know I love you guys... Vegas and SD will always be kindred spirits to one another - not only in our founding history and rivalry in the MWC but in that we're the two best destination cities west of the Mississippi. I honestly hope that wherever we end up in the P5 strata we end up dragging you mooks with us. :)

• Cheers 4

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

As predicted here is Grimala’s weekly article this time moving to Rob Whaley.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2023/may/10/what-does-unlv-have-in-juco-star-rob-whaley/

If there’s a man of mystery in UNLV’s incoming recruiting class, it’s forward Rob Whaley.

Whaley’s journey to Division I basketball has been most unusual. He put up big numbers as a Class of 2021 prep star in Utah, but was not recruited out of high school due to weight issues. He landed at the College of Southern Idaho, and after dropping more than 60 pounds over the last two years, he turned in a fairly dominant sophomore campaign, averaging 14.4 points and 5.9 rebounds while leading CSI to a No. 1 national juco ranking.

“Most unusual” could also describe Whaley’s game. He’s both undersized for his frontcourt position (6-foot-5) and oversized at the same time (260 pounds). And his skill set is all over the board; as the offensive focal point for CSI, he posted up, took opponents off the dribble and generally did it all.

Now that Whaley is signed and on his way to Las Vegas, it’s time to figure out how it will translate to the DI level and what he brings to the UNLV program.

Whaley’s best ability is his scoring touch on the interior. It’s what drew the attention of UNLV coaches (as well as other Mountain West programs), and it shows up immediately on video.

Though he’s not the tallest player on the court, Whaley acted as a center in CSI’s offense. He uses his width and quickness to consistently establish good position on the low/mid block, and when he uses his body to shield defenders, it’s almost impossible for them to bother the entry pass.

Once he’s got the ball, Whaley quickly gets to work, using a variety of pivots, drop steps, power dribbles, reverse pivots, jump stops, pump fakes and good old-fashioned brute strength to knock defenders off balance. If Whaley gets into the lane with the ball in his hands, it’s pretty much an automatic two points or a foul:

In that video, which was compiled from two CSI games this year, Whaley got 13 paint touches. On 10 of those possessions he either scored or drew a foul (or both). The other three? One missed shot (taken with his off hand), one charge, and a missed dunk. It’s hard to get more efficient than that when it comes to back-to-the-basket play.

For the season, Whaley shot 52.2% overall from field while making 55.6% from 2-point range. The defenses Whaley will face next year will be longer and more equipped to challenge his shots around the basket, but with his knack for carving out space and creating enough daylight to get to his left-handed shot, I have to think he’ll continue to be a very strong finisher inside.

So Whaley is a big man, right? An old-school if undersized center? Not exactly. Southern Idaho gave him freedom to operate as a wing facing the basket as well, and Whaley flashed impressive off-the-dribble skills, often against smaller players.

He’s a solid ball-handler for a 260-pound man, and his first step is quicker than you’d think. Whaley got past defenders pretty reliably off the dribble — and when he didn’t, he used his strength to finish through them:

Whaley’s got more touch on his jumper than you’d expect, too. He only attempted 47 triples on the year, but he made a respectable 34.0%, which would have ranked him fourth among UNLV players last year:

In addition to his burly post game and capable jumper, Whaley turns into a freight train in transition. He’s agile and moves very fast once he shifts into gear, which leads to some entertaining coast-to-coast forays:

Naturally, juco opponents had to pay extra attention to Whaley, usually attaching multiple defenders to his hip. But he was more than willing to move the ball to take advantage of compromised defenses, and he is a very capable passer.

Whaley has a good feel not just for routine kick-out passes, but for finding random cutters:

Whaley averaged 2.0 assists per game, and CSI got some easy baskets by playing through him as an offensive hub.

As much as Whaley’s size can be an asset, it’s clear he still has work to do in order to get into shape. In the games I watched, he tired very quickly. Anytime the game flowed for even a handful of possessions without a whistle or stoppage, Whaley would struggle to keep up with the pace of play. That resulted in too many offensive possessions where he was the last player to join the action, and it affected his defense and rebounding.

Whaley will have to remain committed to conditioning when he arrives at UNLV. The game is faster and the action more intense at the Division I level, and UNLV can’t afford to play short-handed on even a single possession.

Defensively, Whaley was a bit of a tweener at CSI. Opponents rarely tested him inside, instead opting to attack him off the dribble.

Whaley can move his feet and cut off driving angles; he’s not out of place when switched onto smaller, quicker players. When he’s tired, though, he gets rooted to the ground and allows some easy baskets:

Whaley averaged 5.9 rebounds in 27.3 minutes per game, and his total could have been higher if he were in better shape. He’s naturally strong and quick off the floor, and he’s conscientious about boxing out, so he grabbed his share of boards last year. He was especially effective tracking offensive rebounds and scoring on putbacks, which is a great skill to have.

Rebounding is tiring, however, and Whaley is not as relentless as he could be:

So, what does UNLV have in Whaley? Is he a small-ball center? A stretch-4? A power wing? Some combination of all of the above?

Offensively, his killer post game should translate to the next level, with the shooting, passing and ball-handling skills serving as a bonus. I can see him playing next to a bigger center most of the time, then shifting to the 5 in certain small lineups.

The caveat is fitness. Whaley has shown tremendous drive in getting down to 260 pounds, but he’s got to continue to refine his body if he wants to hold up on defense and on the glass as a Division-I player. He flat-out took off plays at CSI, and that’s not going to work for a UNLV team that is trying to claw its way into the NCAA Tournament in 2023-24.

Whaley has two years of eligibility remaining, and his unique physical profile and skill set make him a very intriguing addition. From UNLV’s perspective, that’s a player worth taking a flyer on. And if Whaley gets into peak shape and reaches his potential, he could give the Scarlet and Gray a serious matchup problem.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 11:55 AM, quickdraw said:

As predicted here is Grimala’s weekly article this time moving to Rob Whaley.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2023/may/10/what-does-unlv-have-in-juco-star-rob-whaley/

If there’s a man of mystery in UNLV’s incoming recruiting class, it’s forward Rob Whaley.

Whaley’s journey to Division I basketball has been most unusual. He put up big numbers as a Class of 2021 prep star in Utah, but was not recruited out of high school due to weight issues. He landed at the College of Southern Idaho, and after dropping more than 60 pounds over the last two years, he turned in a fairly dominant sophomore campaign, averaging 14.4 points and 5.9 rebounds while leading CSI to a No. 1 national juco ranking.

“Most unusual” could also describe Whaley’s game. He’s both undersized for his frontcourt position (6-foot-5) and oversized at the same time (260 pounds). And his skill set is all over the board; as the offensive focal point for CSI, he posted up, took opponents off the dribble and generally did it all.

Now that Whaley is signed and on his way to Las Vegas, it’s time to figure out how it will translate to the DI level and what he brings to the UNLV program.

Whaley’s best ability is his scoring touch on the interior. It’s what drew the attention of UNLV coaches (as well as other Mountain West programs), and it shows up immediately on video.

Though he’s not the tallest player on the court, Whaley acted as a center in CSI’s offense. He uses his width and quickness to consistently establish good position on the low/mid block, and when he uses his body to shield defenders, it’s almost impossible for them to bother the entry pass.

Once he’s got the ball, Whaley quickly gets to work, using a variety of pivots, drop steps, power dribbles, reverse pivots, jump stops, pump fakes and good old-fashioned brute strength to knock defenders off balance. If Whaley gets into the lane with the ball in his hands, it’s pretty much an automatic two points or a foul:

In that video, which was compiled from two CSI games this year, Whaley got 13 paint touches. On 10 of those possessions he either scored or drew a foul (or both). The other three? One missed shot (taken with his off hand), one charge, and a missed dunk. It’s hard to get more efficient than that when it comes to back-to-the-basket play.

For the season, Whaley shot 52.2% overall from field while making 55.6% from 2-point range. The defenses Whaley will face next year will be longer and more equipped to challenge his shots around the basket, but with his knack for carving out space and creating enough daylight to get to his left-handed shot, I have to think he’ll continue to be a very strong finisher inside.

So Whaley is a big man, right? An old-school if undersized center? Not exactly. Southern Idaho gave him freedom to operate as a wing facing the basket as well, and Whaley flashed impressive off-the-dribble skills, often against smaller players.

He’s a solid ball-handler for a 260-pound man, and his first step is quicker than you’d think. Whaley got past defenders pretty reliably off the dribble — and when he didn’t, he used his strength to finish through them:

Whaley’s got more touch on his jumper than you’d expect, too. He only attempted 47 triples on the year, but he made a respectable 34.0%, which would have ranked him fourth among UNLV players last year:

In addition to his burly post game and capable jumper, Whaley turns into a freight train in transition. He’s agile and moves very fast once he shifts into gear, which leads to some entertaining coast-to-coast forays:

Naturally, juco opponents had to pay extra attention to Whaley, usually attaching multiple defenders to his hip. But he was more than willing to move the ball to take advantage of compromised defenses, and he is a very capable passer.

Whaley has a good feel not just for routine kick-out passes, but for finding random cutters:

Whaley averaged 2.0 assists per game, and CSI got some easy baskets by playing through him as an offensive hub.

As much as Whaley’s size can be an asset, it’s clear he still has work to do in order to get into shape. In the games I watched, he tired very quickly. Anytime the game flowed for even a handful of possessions without a whistle or stoppage, Whaley would struggle to keep up with the pace of play. That resulted in too many offensive possessions where he was the last player to join the action, and it affected his defense and rebounding.

Whaley will have to remain committed to conditioning when he arrives at UNLV. The game is faster and the action more intense at the Division I level, and UNLV can’t afford to play short-handed on even a single possession.

Defensively, Whaley was a bit of a tweener at CSI. Opponents rarely tested him inside, instead opting to attack him off the dribble.

Whaley can move his feet and cut off driving angles; he’s not out of place when switched onto smaller, quicker players. When he’s tired, though, he gets rooted to the ground and allows some easy baskets:

Whaley averaged 5.9 rebounds in 27.3 minutes per game, and his total could have been higher if he were in better shape. He’s naturally strong and quick off the floor, and he’s conscientious about boxing out, so he grabbed his share of boards last year. He was especially effective tracking offensive rebounds and scoring on putbacks, which is a great skill to have.

Rebounding is tiring, however, and Whaley is not as relentless as he could be:

So, what does UNLV have in Whaley? Is he a small-ball center? A stretch-4? A power wing? Some combination of all of the above?

Offensively, his killer post game should translate to the next level, with the shooting, passing and ball-handling skills serving as a bonus. I can see him playing next to a bigger center most of the time, then shifting to the 5 in certain small lineups.

The caveat is fitness. Whaley has shown tremendous drive in getting down to 260 pounds, but he’s got to continue to refine his body if he wants to hold up on defense and on the glass as a Division-I player. He flat-out took off plays at CSI, and that’s not going to work for a UNLV team that is trying to claw its way into the NCAA Tournament in 2023-24.

Whaley has two years of eligibility remaining, and his unique physical profile and skill set make him a very intriguing addition. From UNLV’s perspective, that’s a player worth taking a flyer on. And if Whaley gets into peak shape and reaches his potential, he could give the Scarlet and Gray a serious matchup problem.

260? SF is 100% out. He's a 4 or 5 for sure.

From and earlier article. He’s gone from 323lbs down to 260lbs and still working. With the facilities we have, better strength and conditioning coaches and training table I’d expect him to get in much better condition quickly.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2023/feb/25/overlooked-no-more-unlv-signee-robert-whaleys-incr/

When he arrived as a freshman, Whaley weighed 323 pounds. He’s now down to 260 and still looking to get leaner.

Whaley said changing his attitude made the biggest difference.

“I didn’t care. I didn’t really understand what it meant to work. I finally experienced that here, after coming to college and seeing that everyone was better than me, because I’ve been better than everyone pretty much my whole life. They’re bigger, stronger, faster, and it finally caught up to me. I was like, ‘I’ve got to work.’”

Whaley credits College of Southern Idaho coach Jeff Reinert for developing his workout routine and turning him into a player that college coaches coveted once again.

“We knew he was talented,” Reinert says. “He was just lazy. He weighed 323 pounds and he didn’t even know it. But he was so skilled. I just felt like if he could lose the weight, he could be really good. He commands double teams. There are Division I teams that don’t have anyone who can score on the block; there are few teams in the Mountain West that have it. He opens the floor up for everybody else.”

In addition to his interior scoring prowess, Whaley is also averaging 2.0 assists per game while shooting 38.1% from 3-point range, and he moves around the court with a nimbleness that wasn’t as evident 60 pounds ago.

“We’re No. 1 in the country because of Rob Whaley,” Reinert says. “Everyone has got to double him. He inspires so many mismatches. And he loves to pass the basketball, sometimes too much. Sometimes I would prefer he just go be a beast and dunk the basketball, but he’s the kind of player who really helps with the culture of your team.”

On 5/11/2023 at 1:09 PM, UNLV2001 said:

This list is a total crock. Being one of the best programs in the country for a quarter of a century only gets you to ‘good’ on this list? How tf is Utah considered a ‘great’ program but Baylor isn’t? BYU is a respectable program but SDSU is not??

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 2:58 PM, B_Lootz said:

This list is a total crock. Being one of the best programs in the country for a quarter of a century only gets you to ‘good’ on this list? How tf is Utah considered a ‘great’ program but Baylor isn’t? BYU is a respectable program but SDSU is not??

There are some oddities on that last...........Like USF, USF hasn't been on the CBB radar since 1978/79 when Bill Cartwright had them #1 & Bill Russell was 20+ years before that 

• Cheers 1

On 5/10/2023 at 9:54 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

BTW, you know I love you guys... Vegas and SD will always be kindred spirits to one another - not only in our founding history and rivalry in the MWC but in that we're the two best destination cities west of the Mississippi. I honestly hope that wherever we end up in the P5 strata we end up dragging you mooks with us. :)

I was envious of SDSU's big run because they've dawged UNLV for years, but I couldn't be bitter and rooted for the Aztecs all the way and a big reason behind that was of how stoked you guys were on this board. 

But enough jerkin eachother off, UNLV's got one more season to make things right, SWEEP you fkers and show you peasants how it takes basketball ROYALTY to win a NATTY. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif