quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2023 - 2024

On 3/13/2023 at 9:58 PM, qwelish said:

Players in the portal I'd like to see offers out for: Amaree Abram, Skyy Clark, Jeamyn Brakefield, Tyler Nickel, Myles Stute and Chris Ledlum.

Pretty much right away. All upgrades.

Can scratch Skyy Clark off the list. Committed to Louisville. 

Those saying there's no talent in the portal are predictably and as usual, rooting for the downfall of the UNLV head coach.

Lots of talent in the portal, and definitely upgrades to this roster.

Will we get them is the question. Skyy Clark is one massively talented player down. 

We should expect to hear some movement early to mid April, but I'd like to see CKK speed up his process and grab one or two of the top guys in the portal right now. Skyy Clark was top 3.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:37 AM, quickdraw said:

Vic and Dave are good team guys. They are totally bought into the program and the school. Because they are Rebels they deserve to finish their careers here and be supported. That said they, so far, are not who we need to be starting. We definitely need someone like Cottrell who was supposed to start this year but never got healthy. Based on that we need to use that 13th scholarship to find a big that is ready right now. Using 3:scholarships on Vic, Dave and Jones was a bad decision all around. 

There still may be some movement in the roster through the portal but today unless you are a talent jumping into the portal bears the risk of not being picked up anywhere. Our current squad only has a few players that would be picked up and even then a few of those might need sit having already used their freebie. Kruger really needs a home run transfer to fix the front line or it’s going to be another tough year. After that a dedicated ball handler is a biggie. Need to hire McCabe as a graduate assistant specifically to work on ball handling by our guards. 

Even when healthy I'm not sure Cottrell is/was the answer, I remember him as being somewhat soft, and not confident. Confidence can improve, but now with his injuries I don't see him ever being aggressive enough to make much of a difference. But I could be wrong. Udeze is the type of player that we need, that would have been a good get, hopefully KK can find one like that.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Some more names i wouldn't mind seeing at UNLV in the portal:

Tray Jackson

Taran Armstrong 

Jameer Nelson jr

Primo Spears

John Hugley

Davion Bradford

Sydney Curry

Even Brauns

Kowacie Reeves

Nick Timberlake

Niels Lane

Jace Carter

Khalif Battle

Jordan Riley

Andrew Funk

And there's more but I will stop there.

And there are some bona-fide studs and numerous 30+ point games in this list.

Saying there's no talent in the portal, especially upgrades over what UNLV has, is assinine. 

Several of the players on the list i put together before have already been scooped up.

On 3/17/2023 at 8:35 AM, B_Lootz said:

Agreed. There’s potential for Keyshawn to become a paint presence inside even though he’s listed as a guard. Hope he puts in the work to improve and reach said potential.

CKK usually elected to play KHall at the 5. But he should really be used as a point forward so he's not giving up too much size on the interior. 

If the opponent goes small, team should look to get him deep paint touches off the seal, not mid post/short corner where he usually receives it. That gives the other team time to double when he puts it on the floor. We saw it over and over.

But of course someone would have to teach the team how to create the proper angle and enter the ball into the post. Lots of turnovers this year on bad entry passes.

On 3/18/2023 at 7:27 PM, rebelcuff said:

I am not a fan of this game he is playing. If he is going to leave then leave. I sure hope this means something else and I am missing something. 

Well, it is red... no clue.

Maybe he's saying he's about to step forward and be a standout?

While there's a lot of speculation on what players UNLV might land or not land..........wonder what aspects of the NIL will or are playing into UNLV & other MWC programs recruitment

With over 500 players currently in the portal I'd guess some NIL $$ are being used 

Far as I've seen UNLV has been very quiet and or behind the curve 

On 3/19/2023 at 12:54 PM, rebelcuff said:

w can KK continue to preach changing the culture when he recruits a new team year after year? 

It's happening all over college basketball - KK isn't the only one dealing with massive turnover 

LIU has 7 players in the portal

Little Rock has 7

LA Tech has 7

Louisville has 5 

Minnesota has 4

NMSU has 7

North Carolina has 3

Notre Dame has 3

Texas Tech has 4

Wyoming has 6 

Very few programs are going to see 3 or 4 year players anymore - The days of landing a HS recruit and them staying in the program 3 to 5 years is a thing of the past -- For most every season will be a rebuilding effort 

On 3/19/2023 at 1:03 PM, UNLV2001 said:

It's happening all over college basketball - KK isn't the only one dealing with massive turnover 

LIU has 7 players in the portal

Little Rock has 7

LA Tech has 7

Louisville has 5 

Minnesota has 4

NMSU has 7

North Carolina has 3

Notre Dame has 3

Texas Tech has 4

Wyoming has 6 

Very few programs are going to see 3 or 4 year players anymore - The days of landing a HS recruit and them staying in the program 3 to 5 years is a thing of the past -- For most every season will be a rebuilding effort 

There are ways to solve this.  Mike Leach has put out a model.  The current system is broken.

With that said, you can still recruit and develop a roster.  See Russell Turner at UC Irvine.