Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridgeview2

Opinions on OLED TV

I'm currently in the market for a new TV for the living room and wanted to get the board's opinion on what might be the best option for me. Costco currently has a deal going on with LG C2, Sony A80K, and Samsung S95B all for around the same price with a 5 year warranty tacked on as a packaged deal which is $300-$400 cheaper than what Best Buy has for the same models. I've been watching extensive reviews and performance videos this past week and it seems like all three have different qualities that I want. LG is best for gaming, Sony is best for movies, the Samsung is best for sports and is also brighter, but is $100 more expensive and has shotty build quality with terrible software. Does anyone on the board have these TV's? What is your opinion on them?   

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

I have a LG C9 and it is my favorite purchase I have made in a long time. I love it. I have not had experience wit hthe others on the list but you can't go wrong with the LG. I don't see any issue with brightness(but I have mine in the basement) the software and apps are great. I only the native apps on the tv and don't go through any other devices. I've heard the sony is better for movies as well but I can't imagine it can be much better. And the LG is a gaming monitor on top of everything(I see lots of discussions of serious gamers just using LG tvs as their monitor)

My choice is LG but I think the sony is great as well. DOn't know as much on Samsung as it much be newer because I don't really remember it being a viable option when I was looking a couple years ago.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:31 AM, tspoke said:

I have a LG C9 and it is my favorite purchase I have made in a long time. I love it. I have not had experience wit hthe others on the list but you can't go wrong with the LG. I don't see any issue with brightness(but I have mine in the basement) the software and apps are great. I only the native apps on the tv and don't go through any other devices. I've heard the sony is better for movies as well but I can't imagine it can be much better. And the LG is a gaming monitor on top of everything(I see lots of discussions of serious gamers just using LG tvs as their monitor)

My choice is LG but I think the sony is great as well. DOn't know as much on Samsung as it much be newer because I don't really remember it being a viable option when I was looking a couple years ago.

I have a 55" Sony XBR950G that I bought back in 2020 after my 13 year old Vizio LCD finally gave out. I love my Sony, but I'm looking for that OLED 120hz for gaming and deeper blacks for movies. I have my sights set on the LG but then the Samsung caught my eye and I started to hesitate. It seems to be the best all around, but with typical Samsung the build quality Is lackluster and you can see where they tried to cut corners. I'm leaning more towards the LG right now.

The samsung is bright AF. Looking to replace mine ASAP or mount it outside. And yes, I've turned down the "brightness" and contrast, but so now it just looks bad and it's still somehow too bright. It's either that or headaches and scorched retinas. 

I am still running my 58” Panasonic Plasma as my primary TV, but I have purchased 2 LG 55” $369 each and 1 LG 65” $499 in the last 24 months.  Two were gifts, and one for my cabin behind the cheese curtain.  

Very happy with the LG’s on the low end.  What made me choose the LG was significantly better picture when viewing from the side.

My TV’s are monitors driven by Nvidia Shield to tie in sound system and drive apps for Tablo (Antenna), Plex, Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, YouTube TV (Fall only for Football season), and other apps used infrequently. I don’t game. 

110926run_defense710.jpg

On 2/3/2023 at 10:07 AM, modestobulldog said:

I am still running my 58” Panasonic Plasma as my primary TV, but I have purchased 2 LG 55” $369 each and 1 LG 65” $499 in the last 24 months.  Two were gifts, and one for my cabin behind the cheese curtain.  

Very happy with the LG’s on the low end.  What made me choose the LG was significantly better picture when viewing from the side.

My TV’s are monitors driven by Nvidia Shield to tie in sound system and drive apps for Tablo (Antenna), Plex, Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, YouTube TV (Fall only for Football season), and other apps used infrequently. I don’t game. 

I still have my old Panasonic Plasma in a spare room. I got it when I first got a real job 15 years ago. Great TV. Plasmas were the superior technology got a bad rap. Never had a burn in issue. BUt god its heavy as hell compared to tvs now. 

On 2/3/2023 at 8:57 AM, toonkee said:

The samsung is bright AF. Looking to replace mine ASAP or mount it outside. And yes, I've turned down the "brightness" and contrast, but so now it just looks bad and it's still somehow too bright. It's either that or headaches and scorched retinas. 

854495114_giphy(8).gif.83164c87edcce4ffb31905b5bf130b4f.gif

I would put a tv on my back patio, but my brick wall is shared with the main road and I don't want to invite any unwarranted attention from the sidewalk that shares the wall.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:50 AM, tspoke said:

I still have my old Panasonic Plasma in a spare room. I got it when I first got a real job 15 years ago. Great TV. Plasmas were the superior technology got a bad rap. Never had a burn in issue. BUt god its heavy as hell compared to tvs now. 

Mine is 15 years old too.  I love it, except for the piano board frame. It has lasted far longer than expected, and I too have not experienced burn in. Wife and I are planning a home remodel with a media wall with a linear electric fireplace.  I want to incorporate the 77” LG OLED on display as you enter Costco, but with the fireplace, I think that makes it too high on Media wall, I may have to settle for 65” LG OLED displayed at Costco above the 77” model.  

110926run_defense710.jpg

On 2/2/2023 at 9:52 PM, ridgeview2 said:

I'm currently in the market for a new TV for the living room and wanted to get the board's opinion on what might be the best option for me. Costco currently has a deal going on with LG C2, Sony A80K, and Samsung S95B all for around the same price with a 5 year warranty tacked on as a packaged deal which is $300-$400 cheaper than what Best Buy has for the same models. I've been watching extensive reviews and performance videos this past week and it seems like all three have different qualities that I want. LG is best for gaming, Sony is best for movies, the Samsung is best for sports and is also brighter, but is $100 more expensive and has shotty build quality with terrible software. Does anyone on the board have these TV's? What is your opinion on them?   

Just don't go Samsung. I know too many people that have had problems with Samsung TVs

On 2/3/2023 at 11:04 PM, Los_Aztecas said:

Just don't go Samsung. I know too many people that have had problems with Samsung TVs

I think I've made my decision and will be going with the LG C2. It's the best overall for gaming and I've been watching videos on how to calibrate it to get the best picture quality for movies.

On 2/4/2023 at 7:51 AM, ridgeview2 said:

I think I've made my decision and will be going with the LG C2. It's the best overall for gaming and I've been watching videos on how to calibrate it to get the best picture quality for movies.

I just bought a 77” LG C2.  I was dead set on going with the Sony A80k but when I got to best buy I changed my mind. It’s getting delivered next Friday.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 2/4/2023 at 8:27 AM, mugtang said:

I just bought a 77” LG C2.  I was dead set on going with the Sony A80k but when I got to best buy I changed my mind. It’s getting delivered next Friday.  

Very nice! I wish I could get the 77", but the highest I can go is 65" because of the way my entertainment center is cut into the wall.

On 2/4/2023 at 11:22 AM, ridgeview2 said:

Very nice! I wish I could get the 77", but the highest I can go is 65" because of the way my entertainment center is cut into the wall.

Oh I get that.  The 77” actually looks small on the wall that it is mounted on. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 2/2/2023 at 10:52 PM, ridgeview2 said:

Not that particular model but I have been incredibly pleased with my LG.  They make great T.V.s  Probably the only brand I will go with moving forward.  

On 2/5/2023 at 4:37 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not that particular model but I have been incredibly pleased with my LG.  They make great T.V.s  Probably the only brand I will go with moving forward.  

My dad drove up today to help me pick up my new TV and install it. I ended up going with the LG C2 and the picture is amazing. I'll be spending the next few days calibrating it along with my home theater system. After we got it mounted, I turned it on and flipped between the PGA Pebble Beach Pro-Am, NFL Pro Bowl, and NASCAR Clash at the Coliseum. I was completely blown away by the picture quality and sharp colors. 

On 2/5/2023 at 8:49 PM, ridgeview2 said:

My dad drove up today to help me pick up my new TV and install it. I ended up going with the LG C2 and the picture is amazing. I'll be spending the next few days calibrating it along with my home theater system. After we got it mounted, I turned it on and flipped between the PGA Pebble Beach Pro-Am, NFL Pro Bowl, and NASCAR Clash at the Coliseum. I was completely blown away by the picture quality and clear picture. 

You made the right call IMO.  I got a Samsung for my room shortly after my LG and it died 8 months in.  I did not purchase the Warranty.  Lame.  

On 2/5/2023 at 7:51 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You made the right call IMO.  I got a Samsung for my room shortly after my LG and it died 8 months in.  I did not purchase the Warranty.  Lame.  

Costco is where it's at! All of their TV's have the standard manufacturing warranty for 2 years that comes with the TV plus an additional 3 years of Allstate coverage at no additional cost.

On 2/5/2023 at 10:58 PM, ridgeview2 said:

Costco is where it's at! All of their TV's have the standard manufacturing warranty for 2 years that comes with the TV plus an additional 3 years of Allstate coverage at no additional cost.

Yeah I got it from Best Buy and had the option for the warranty but it was a smaller one and only like 400 bucks....Something to fit on my dresser in my room.

Costco is the shit though.  That is where I got my LG.   And can we talk about their chickens?!?!?!!  best 5 bucks a man can spend.

On 2/5/2023 at 10:51 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

My last TV was a Samsung, and it died right after the extended warranty I bought expired. Literally like 2-3 months later. Then I went and replaced it with another Samsung, which hasn't really had any issues since we bought it. I'm definitely planning on getting an OLED LG when I look to replace this one though.

On 2/5/2023 at 11:14 PM, retrofade said:

My last TV was a Samsung, and it died right after the extended warranty I bought expired. Literally like 2-3 months later. Then I went and replaced it with another Samsung, which hasn't really had any issues since we bought it. I'm definitely planning on getting an OLED LG when I look to replace this one though.

Do it.  LG makes the best TVs on the market right now.  The software is great, updates are smooth, never glitches and the actual device is as good as anything in the same price range if not better.   My one and only complaint is their customer service the one time I had to call was not awesome when trying to get a remote replaced and Amazon was out of stock on the one I wanted.  could have been a one off though.