Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Domestic Abusers and Guns

On 2/3/2023 at 11:40 AM, sactowndog said:

Being accused leads to the forfeiture of other items like passports all the time, I hear nothing from the right or @CPslograd

for some people lack of bail money leads to the accused spending far longer in incarceration than if they were convicted and the right opposes fixing the bail system….

but take away their guns because they are subject to a restraining order……. Oh the horror……

Laff Mobb Lm117 GIF by Laff Mobb’s Laff Tracks

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 2/3/2023 at 12:39 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

There are two sides to everything, that’s a meaningless statement.

Are you suggesting the two sides in this situation are equal? 

Did you see a post where I suggested that the two sides are equal? Of course not. In fact, my first post had a stat that showed it wasn't equal and I even followed it up with a later post that said "While women are disproportionately the victims of domestic violence, men are disproportionately the victims of false RO/TRO's being filed.", so why are you even asking if I'm suggesting that they're equal? Because you're looking to make this into something it's not. The OP suggested only addressed women being the victim, so I cleared that up and offered a reason why I think the court ruled against it. I didn't make the decision and I'm not a gun person, so I wouldn't really care if everyone's guns were taken away. Both of you can just chill out. 

On 2/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, renoskier said:

is the "accused" automatically a "crazy phuck"?

Thank you....that's my point exactly. I'm more in line with NVGiant's assertion that a judge's discretion would be a great place to start. While not perfect, at least it's a reasonable way to go about it. 

On 2/3/2023 at 11:51 AM, renoskier said:

is the "accused" automatically a "crazy phuck"?

No.

We do need to take a look at these issues.

@Slapdad wants to eliminate them.

Like i said, we are more emotionally attached to and will fight to the death for our guns, but not innocent lives.

What a messed up Society.

Americans Mayor

On 2/3/2023 at 11:52 AM, Slapdad said:

Did you see a post where I suggested that the two sides are equal? Of course not. In fact, my first post had a stat that showed it wasn't equal and I even followed it up with a later post that said "While women are disproportionately the victims of domestic violence, men are disproportionately the victims of false RO/TRO's being filed.", so why are you even asking if I'm suggesting that they're equal? Because you're looking to make this into something it's not. The OP suggested only addressed women being the victim, so I cleared that up and offered a reason why I think the court ruled against it. I didn't make the decision and I'm not a gun person, so I wouldn't really care if everyone's guns were taken away. Both of you can just chill out. 

Your position and data on RO/TRO's may be accurate. However, using it as an argument against some level of gun control allows these crazies to keep their arsenals.

Even if these gun control Laws save one life. It was worth it.

Americans Mayor

On 2/3/2023 at 10:52 AM, Slapdad said:

No need to get all emotional, relax. I’m not offering an opinion, just helping you clarify your point. Your welcome.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:06 AM, Slapdad said:

May I suggest google? I'm sure there will be different statistics from different sources...that was just one from a law firm's site, which referenced some other source. 

Tried Google. All I can find are articles with the percentage of female Homicide victims that had restraining orders on their domestic partner/murderer. Maybe I need to look at law firms that litigate the issue. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 2/3/2023 at 12:29 PM, GoDogs22 said:

Cops and Republican politicians? *ducks*

Big Oil and Republicans ?

Americans Mayor

On 2/3/2023 at 6:26 AM, NVGiant said:

I see what you’re saying here, but what’s worse? Someone falsely accused losing his guns temporarily or a woman murdered because a dangerous person still has access to guns even after he was correctly accused and a restraining order placed. 

I haven’t read much into this decision yet, and I generally agree that due process should be of paramount concern. But it seems like there needs to be some legal mechanism to protect people who are under genuine threat, too. Without one, abused women will be even less inclined to report domestic abuse. Less inclined to get a restraining order (which isn't so bad, because restraining orders are not particularly protective either). And more women will be murdered.

This isn't some overreaching gun control law to prevent still relatively rare mass shootings. Domestic violence is sadly all too common, one of the leading causes of premature death for women. And the presence of a gun in those situations increases the risk of homicide dramatically.

Now we are into red flag laws, which are complicated.  I know you guys don't want to hear it, but the standard for taking away someone's guns is significantly higher than taking away their drivers license.  Driving is a privilege. the right to bear arms is a right.

Honestly, I doubt you and I are all that far apart on this.  And I would agree on erroring on the side of caution in regards to this.  But it's sure as hell got to be more than being "acccused" in my opinion.  There has to be a process.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:14 AM, Spaztecs said:

All these issues are about White Male Power.

We live in a world where politicians continue to advocate for a Mans Right to beat his wife and kids, murder his wife because dinner wasn't ready when he gets home, rape his daughters to teach them what they need to know when they get married, and kick their teen kids out of the house because they are confused about their sexuality.

Stop the World, I want off of this ride 

Of all of the ignorant, moronic, asinine, toxic garbage posted in this shit covered, nuclear waste dump of a forum, this post glows like a polonium filled dumpster.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 2/3/2023 at 9:55 PM, CPslograd said:

Now we are into red flag laws, which are complicated.  I know you guys don't want to hear it, but the standard for taking away someone's guns is significantly higher than taking away their drivers license.  Driving is a privilege. the right to bear arms is a right.

Honestly, I doubt you and I are all that far apart on this.  And I would agree on erroring on the side of caution in regards to this.  But it's sure as hell got to be more than being "acccused" in my opinion.  There has to be a process.

Based on your logic, living is a privilege .

That the Rights of Lunatics who are armed to the teeth and shoot up public spaces ranks above peoples privilege to peaceably and safely assemble in a public space .

Americans Mayor

On 2/4/2023 at 10:45 AM, SDSUfan said:

Of all of the ignorant, moronic, asinine, toxic garbage posted in this shit covered, nuclear waste dump of a forum, this post glows like a polonium filled dumpster.

Yea, because it is fact and you can't handle it.

Americans Mayor

On 2/3/2023 at 10:55 AM, Slapdad said:

Thank you....that's my point exactly. I'm more in line with NVGiant's assertion that a judge's discretion would be a great place to start. While not perfect, at least it's a reasonable way to go about it. 

It’s not at all clear the judge has discretion at this point.  But I would agree if that point is in fact the case.   Based on the statement I posted I didn’t see room for judges discretion but I’m also not a lawyer.  Then again neither is @NVGiant though I agree he is a smart dude.  

On 2/3/2023 at 8:55 PM, CPslograd said:

So curious what is your stance on the cash bail system?  Because falsely imprisoning someone or holding them for longer than their sentence also violates rights.   

On 2/4/2023 at 1:40 PM, sactowndog said:

So curious what is your stance on the cash bail system?  Because falsely imprisoning someone or holding them for longer than their sentence also violates rights.   

It's a perilous balance. Those who lack the means to make bail are more likely to not appear.

Those with a financial stake are more likely to appear.

Albeit, there's always the scumbag who will Skip Bail despite the fact his parents house is the collateral.

Americans Mayor