Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a…BALLOON! And an OCTAGON!!!

What's the consensus here? Is this not a big deal? Would China not be concerned with a U.S. civilian research balloon flying in their airspace over ballistic missle sites? If that's what it really is. 

We don't have anything (active) that flies that high, so I have doubts about a plane shootdown.  As long as the idiots don't try shooting at it, we'll all be okay.

Seems to stretch the imagination that China would send over a balloon instead of, ya know, just using spy satellites like we do.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:21 PM, AztecAlien said:

What's the consensus here? Is this not a big deal? Would China not be concerned with a U.S. civilian research balloon flying in their airspace over ballistic missle sites? If that's what it really is. 

I see it as a provocation.  Not a real serious one but a poke nonetheless.  These Balloons were entering the US during the trump years as well, Just none went this far over the US.  Most weather balloons tear apart in a few days to return the data to earth in a parachute.   seems odd

On 2/3/2023 at 7:40 PM, GoDogs22 said:

We don't have anything (active) that flies that high, so I have doubts about a plane shootdown.  As long as the idiots don't try shooting at it, we'll all be okay.

Seems to stretch the imagination that China would send over a balloon instead of, ya know, just using spy satellites like we do.

Dust off a U2 or blackbird

On 2/3/2023 at 7:49 PM, Billings said:

Dust off a U2 or blackbird

Don't remember if the U2 ever carried arms, but I'm sure there's a spare A-12 somewhere if they were interested in bringing it down. Current idea seems to be that they don't want to risk civilian life by bringing it down.

Our satellites are a couple hundred miles above them every few minutes. This thing was 20 miles up. I don’t think this is a big deal at all, especially since it is just riding the wind and has zero control.

On 2/4/2023 at 11:13 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So what will the Biden administration do about a hostile foreign government violating our airspace?

Probably the same thing previous administrations have done.

Not much.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 2/4/2023 at 11:23 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

When did China violate US airspace under Obama or Bush?  Link please.

You forgot one other admin.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3287173/dod-statement-on-high-altitude-surveillance-balloon/

Attributed to Pentagon Press Secretary Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder:

The United States Government has detected and is tracking a high altitude surveillance balloon that is over the continental United States right now. The U.S. government, to include NORAD, continues to track and monitor it closely. The balloon is currently traveling at an altitude well above commercial air traffic and does not present a military or physical threat to people on the ground. Instances of this kind of balloon activity have been observed previously over the past several years. Once the balloon was detected, the U.S. government acted immediately to protect against the collection of sensitive information.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:40 PM, GoDogs22 said:

We can shoot down satellites from F-15s.  The AIM-120 has a range of 100+ miles.  We don’t have to be close to this thing to shoot it down. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 2/4/2023 at 10:25 AM, RSF said:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3287173/dod-statement-on-high-altitude-surveillance-balloon/

The United States Government has detected and is tracking a high altitude surveillance balloon that is over the continental United States right now. The U.S. government, to include NORAD, continues to track and monitor it closely. The balloon is currently traveling at an altitude well above commercial air traffic and does not present a military or physical threat to people on the ground. Instances of this kind of balloon activity have been observed previously over the past several years. Once the balloon was detected, the U.S. government acted immediately to protect against the collection of sensitive information.

Absolutely.  

TFG did not deserve to be mentioned.  

What is Biden going to do about a hostile foreign government violating our airspace?  I don't care about Trump.  I don't think Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan etc...would let it happen without a serious action taken against the offending country.

Glad to realize though that Trump is now the standard we hold Biden to.  

This one may not be a big deal but what about the next one?  What’s to stop China from attaching an EMP to one and them detonating it over a major city, wreaking havoc with the power grid.  We need to shoot down them down whenever they enter American airspace.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 2/4/2023 at 11:30 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Absolutely.  

TFG did not deserve to be mentioned.  

What is Biden going to do about a hostile foreign government violating our airspace?  I don't care about Trump.  I don't think Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan etc...would let it happen without a serious action taken against the offending country.

Glad to realize though that Trump is now the standard we hold Biden to.  

Is Trump not a previous administration, like Bush and Obama?  Rather odd tact you are taking.  I'm not making any of them 'the standard'.  All of them qualify as 'previously'.  So all of them can and should be called into question in light of events.  If you have a problem with that, I suggest you take it up with the Pentagon.

Have a nice day.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:25 AM, RSF said:

Near Guam and Hawaii above international waters. Not flying directly over them.

https://abc7chicago.com/chinese-spy-balloon-china-over-montana-us/12766077/

U.S. officials confirmed that previous balloon incidents involving China occurred near Hawaii and Guam last year.

In February 2022, a balloon appeared to be stationary in international waters northwest of Kauai, Hawaii, the officials said.

The Hawaii incident came shortly after a similar incident that year near Guam, according to one of the officials.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 2/4/2023 at 10:36 AM, RSF said:

Is Trump not a previous administration, like Bush and Obama?  Rather odd tact you are taking.  I'm not making any of them 'the standard'.  All of them qualify as 'previously'.  So all of them can and should be called into question in light of events.  If you have a problem with that, I suggest you take it up with the Pentagon.

Have a nice day.

You said plural.  Administrations.  Plural.  Which is why I went back to previous.  To make it plural.  So I asked for a link showing what PLURAL administrations have had China violate our airspace so publicly

Learn to +++++ing English.

Have a nice day.