Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterfrog

Kellen Moore Out in Dallas

On 1/30/2023 at 2:17 PM, Pelado said:

I didn't watch much of the Cowboys this season (or past seasons, either, really).  That said, the following scenario makes sense to me (whether or not it's what really happened):

• Dak (not Kellen) had a penchant for going long on 3rd down either through changing the called play with an audible or by forcing the ball downfield even though it wasn't the right read on the called play
  • Cooper was trying to do exactly what Kellen wanted, wasn't calling audibles, and didn't force the ball downfield when the play was designed to go elsewhere

I am, unfortunately, a lifelong fan.  I can tell you, based on the formations and Dak not calling audibles - they were bad play calls.  No doubt, Dak went off script from time to time, but the 3d down play calling and "important plays" play calling were very underwhelming.  His offense just didn't seem to put the D in compromising positions.  Most of Dallas' big plays were from great individual effort or an occasional blown coverage. His formations and plays weren't fooling anyone or putting the D in any kind of pressure

On 1/30/2023 at 5:32 PM, Zoomie said:

I am, unfortunately, a lifelong fan.  I can tell you, based on the formations and Dak not calling audibles - they were bad play calls.  No doubt, Dak went off script from time to time, but the 3d down play calling and "important plays" play calling were very underwhelming.  His offense just didn't seem to put the D in compromising positions.  Most of Dallas' big plays were from great individual effort or an occasional blown coverage. His formations and plays weren't fooling anyone or putting the D in any kind of pressure

Good luck with Dak and McCarthy without Kellen. Those two are destined to fall on their faces next year. It’ll be fun to watch as Dallas fans melt down. And they won’t have Kellen to blame. 

On 1/30/2023 at 9:56 PM, soupslam1 said:

Good luck with Dak and McCarthy without Kellen. Those two are destined to fall on their faces next year. It’ll be fun to watch as Dallas fans melt down. 

That would kind of surprise me.  McCarthy had a great reputation when he was an offensive coordinator before and he did a great job as a quarterbacks coach too.  He might even have a better track record than Moore.  If you want something done right, do it yourself.  The pressure will be on McCarthy now, as it should be.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:08 PM, masterfrog said:

That would kind of surprise me.  McCarthy had a great reputation when he was an offensive coordinator before and he did a great job as a quarterbacks coach too.  He might even have a better track record than Moore.  If you want something done right, do it yourself.  The pressure will be on McCarthy now, as it should be.

Agree that Moore has yet to fully prove himself, but looking in from a distance, is Dak the guy, regardless of who is calling the play?

JMHO, but I see Dallas continuing to be good against average/bad teams and inconsistent against good teams BECAUSE of their QB...a rinse/repeat of make the playoffs and get beat.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:56 PM, soupslam1 said:

Good luck with Dak and McCarthy without Kellen. Those two are destined to fall on their faces next year. It’ll be fun to watch as Dallas fans melt down. And they won’t have Kellen to blame. 

That's the way McCarthy wants it.  He doesn't want to go down because of somebody else.  Ultimately, that's why Moore got the boot.  McCarthy will be calling the plays, which is how he's wanted it in the 1st place.  Moore was forced on him by Jerrah.

As for meltdowns, that's hardly new.  They've been doing it for close to 30 years now.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.