Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterfrog

Kellen Moore Out in Dallas

On 1/30/2023 at 11:23 AM, SparkysDad said:

All the Cowboy "fans" remember is the desperation call at the end of the 49'ers game and forget the season-saving 4-1 record Moore produced with backup QB Cooper Rush. That stretch was probably the highlight of Moore's young career.

No...they remember the last 2 years.  I get to listen to them daily...with a smile on my face.  Hell....I wish they had KEPT Moore.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:08 AM, baileyake said:

Oh great. As if Mahomes, Allen, and Jackson weren’t competition enough. Give the limp noodle arm that somehow became the best qb a guy with a freaking rocket launcher for an arm.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 1/30/2023 at 11:21 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Oh great. As if Mahomes, Allen, and Jackson weren’t competition enough. Give the limp noodle arm that somehow became the best qb a guy with a freaking rocket launcher for an arm.

You know what the perfect irony could have been, at least to me? Kaepernick got picked up by an NFL team after the "issues" and Moore was his OC!

Nevada fans...would you want Moore to be Kap's OC or no if the possibility were to have existed? 

I'm just imagining the Quarterback-enstein created with Kap's athletic ability and arm with Moore's football mind and anticipation in one player...it's alive!!!! 

On 1/29/2023 at 5:43 PM, roughrider said:

Kellen wins.   Chargers are interested.   Others are for sure too. 

The problem isn't even McCarthy.  It's the idiots that gave that program killing contract to Dak.  They can't afford free agents and there are so many holes on the roster it's going to a fast slide down.   Desperate rich dudes make the dumbest decisions.  This one's on Jones.

Hadn't heard that but I think the Spanoi would do themselves a favor if they fired Staley and replaced him with Moore.

On 1/30/2023 at 1:20 PM, 4UNLV said:

They did.. Kellen to the chargers. 

They didn't....Staley is the head coach. Kellen is the new OC. 

On 1/30/2023 at 10:49 AM, Zoomie said:

Roster aside, Moore's playcalling was flashes of brilliance followed by A LOT of mediocrity.  He did well in the regular season, but when games got close or when Ds locked down coverage - there was zero attempt or any knowledge on how to adjust.  He had a penchant for going long on 3d down, regardless of distance to gain or field position.  Displayed a lack of patience by always trying to go for the big strike.  His best calling games were arguably the Cooper Rush games because he had to restrain himself and focus more on balance.  I really like Kellen Moore, but his inability to call the right play at the big moment was his downfall. Of course, players are big part of any offensive strategy - but Moore was inept at taking what the defense was giving him.  He just kept ramrodding the same plays in and the better defenses caught on....

You’re assuming those were his play calls and Dak didn’t audible to them. I’m sure what we’re going to see is the Chargers offense takes off and Dallas goes in the toilet. Kellen actually has a good young QB to work with. 

On 1/30/2023 at 11:13 AM, RSF said:

No...they remember the last 2 years.  I get to listen to them daily...with a smile on my face.  Hell....I wish they had KEPT Moore.

those fans won't skip a beat next season.  You'll be entertained.   There's a new whipping boy in town and he's the old dude at head coach.

On 1/30/2023 at 11:47 AM, soupslam1 said:

You’re assuming those were his play calls and Dak didn’t audible to them. I’m sure what we’re going to see is the Chargers offense takes off and Dallas goes in the toilet. Kellen actually has a good young QB to work with. 

Can he take the choke out of the football team formerly known as the San Diego Super Chokers?

On 1/30/2023 at 12:47 PM, soupslam1 said:

Dak could absorb only so much and much of what he 'learned' went out the window under pressure.   If Hebert is smarter (he is most likely) and calmer under pressure (?),  the Moore is going to really enjoy himself.

On 1/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, NMpackalum said:

I'm hoping Dak has a good year and gets traded after flailing in the playoffs to the last place team (Broncos) so the Cowboys can pick up Caleb Williams. A guy can dream.

Dak's contract makes him untradeable until after 2024, and by then he has voidable years for '25 and '26.  And he has a no-trade clause.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:49 AM, Zoomie said:

Roster aside, Moore's playcalling was flashes of brilliance followed by A LOT of mediocrity.  He did well in the regular season, but when games got close or when Ds locked down coverage - there was zero attempt or any knowledge on how to adjust.  He had a penchant for going long on 3d down, regardless of distance to gain or field position.  Displayed a lack of patience by always trying to go for the big strike.  His best calling games were arguably the Cooper Rush games because he had to restrain himself and focus more on balance.  I really like Kellen Moore, but his inability to call the right play at the big moment was his downfall. Of course, players are big part of any offensive strategy - but Moore was inept at taking what the defense was giving him.  He just kept ramrodding the same plays in and the better defenses caught on....

On 1/30/2023 at 12:47 PM, soupslam1 said:

I didn't watch much of the Cowboys this season (or past seasons, either, really).  That said, the following scenario makes sense to me (whether or not it's what really happened):

• Dak (not Kellen) had a penchant for going long on 3rd down either through changing the called play with an audible or by forcing the ball downfield even though it wasn't the right read on the called play
  • Cooper was trying to do exactly what Kellen wanted, wasn't calling audibles, and didn't force the ball downfield when the play was designed to go elsewhere

On 1/30/2023 at 3:17 PM, Pelado said:

• Cooper was trying to do exactly what Kellen wanted, wasn't calling audibles, and didn't force the ball downfield when the play was designed to go elsewhere

They also threw a lot less with Rush behind center.  And the defense was stellar (14 PPG vs 20 PPG for the whole season).

On 1/30/2023 at 2:17 PM, Pelado said:

I didn't watch much of the Cowboys this season (or past seasons, either, really).  That said, the following scenario makes sense to me (whether or not it's what really happened):

• Dak (not Kellen) had a penchant for going long on 3rd down either through changing the called play with an audible or by forcing the ball downfield even though it wasn't the right read on the called play

partially from what I saw.  But then again Dak has the bigger arm.  Still, he went off script and Cooper didn't.  

The fun with Herbert is that now there's an intelligent partnership between OC and QB and not as much the teacher role.   If they click then the partnership will be really fun to watch.

On 1/30/2023 at 11:02 AM, SparkysDad said:

You know what the perfect irony could have been, at least to me? Kaepernick got picked up by an NFL team after the "issues" and Moore was his OC!

Nevada fans...would you want Moore to be Kap's OC or no if the possibility were to have existed? 

I'm just imagining the Quarterback-enstein created with Kap's athletic ability and arm with Moore's football mind and anticipation in one player...it's alive!!!! 

I don’t think Nevada fans ever held any hatred for Moore. He wore the wrong jersey but that was it. I personally would have been happy to see them succeed together. But Moore would have faced the same unsolvable problem all of Kaep’s coaches faced in the end: football was not the most important thing to him. In a profession that competitive and a position that rare there is no overcoming that.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 1/30/2023 at 1:58 PM, RSF said:

Dak's contract makes him untradeable until after 2024, and by then he has voidable years for '25 and '26.  And he has a no-trade clause.

That sucks because he has 49 and 52 million hit to the cap in next 2 years with a 89 million dead money hit. Pretty sweet contract.