Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SAMO

billy packer goes tits up

My favorite Packer story was when Bobby Knight called him over right before the 1976 Championship Game (Indiana-Michigan).  Packer thought he was going to hear something important, but all Knight asked was, "Where is the ACC tonight?"

RIP Billy.  Packer will be missed for his counterbalance against the "Duke is wonderful" bias coming from the lips of other announcers. 

On 1/27/2023 at 4:35 AM, Raz said:

RIP Billy.  Packer will be missed for his counterbalance against the "Duke is wonderful" bias coming from the lips of other announcers. 

That’s cuz he played for lowly Wake Forest.

Billy kissed the butts of the entire ACC.  That's where Knight's comment came from.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:12 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

That’s cuz he played for lowly Wake Forest.

He won 2 ACC titles and went to the Final 4 as a player.  Nothing lowly about WF basketball.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

God Speed Mr Packer

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Packer was a mainstay.  I remember him doing many UNLV games back in the 80s.

I too am more of a Raftery fan.  He's getting very long in the tooth as well.

On 1/27/2023 at 11:54 AM, RebelAlliance said:

Sure it is....if you're a rich asshole from Connecticut who couldn't get into Princeton. 

Princeton has a 4% acceptance rate.  Duke's is 6%.  If you can get into one, you can probably get into the other.

I have nothing against Billy Packer but without Al McGuire playing the college basketball version of John Madden when the two worked together, most on this board would never have heard of Packer.

RIP, Billy.

Btw, here's Billy's son who has been on SIRIUS' ESPNU for many years. I call him Mr. Locked and Loaded. Looks absolutely nothing like his father. https://factsbio.com/mark-packer/

On 1/27/2023 at 7:19 AM, B_Lootz said:

RIP, but never cared for his analysis. He always hated mid majors and was arrogant and condescending towards them. I’ll take Kellogg or Raftery any day over him.

Packer ripped on George Mason getting an at-large bid in 2006 and IIRC, he did not give them any props after reaching the Final Four.  Stubborn as can be

On 1/27/2023 at 9:44 AM, Cincy said:

Packer was a mainstay.  I remember him doing many UNLV games back in the 80s.

I too am more of a Raftery fan.  He's getting very long in the tooth as well.

Raftery is my all time fav…lol

what I wouldn’t give to sit in a dive bar with him and a tape recorder some afternoon…lol

a national treasure 

On 1/27/2023 at 11:30 AM, jdgaucho said:

Packer ripped on George Mason getting an at-large bid in 2006 and IIRC, he did not give them any props after reaching the Final Four.  Stubborn as can be

His feud with Phil Martelli is one of the great moments of the last quarter century in college hoops…lol

On 1/27/2023 at 1:17 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I have nothing against Billy Packer but without Al McGuire playing the college basketball version of John Madden when the two worked together, most on this board would never have heard of Packer.

RIP, Billy.

Btw, here's Billy's son who has been on SIRIUS' ESPNU for many years. I call him Mr. Locked and Loaded. Looks absolutely nothing like his father. https://factsbio.com/mark-packer/

+1   Excellent post, a bulls-eye.  McGuire was a keynote speaker at a company kickoff event.  What a great speaker and motivator.   The tough audience was captivated.  Al was only to be equalled by Tommy Lasorda.   McGuire was tame compared to the salt spewed by Tommy.