Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

5 officers charged with murder

On 2/4/2023 at 12:08 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I will say I am wrong.  I am just using anecdotal evidence, so my bias skewed my hypothesis.  Good thing is if I needed to do a study, the study would be done by lit review. :D

All my family and friends who served hate cops.  I mean really dislike them.  I think that is a ringing endorsement of the role that their service played in shaping them as men myself.  :) 

On 2/4/2023 at 8:14 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

All my family and friends who served hate cops.  I mean really dislike them.  I think that is a ringing endorsement of the role that their service played in shaping them as men myself.  :) 

I try my best to empathize with them since I know a little bit about how the tempo works, but I have strong issues of how they are insulated from consequences of some of their wrongdoings.  

On 2/4/2023 at 9:28 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I try my best to empathize with them since I know a little bit about how the tempo works, but I have strong issues of how they are insulated from consequences of some of their wrongdoings.  

You are a better man then me.

On 2/4/2023 at 11:14 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

In my D&D group (comprised mostly of friends from high school) we have two guys that served in the Marines. In our last campaign, our party was being stymied by the local law enforcement. Both of them just wanted to off the cops to get what we needed, because they’re cops and nobody would care anyway. 

I know another guy that was an Army K9 MP, and he’s always railing about how much cops suck. 

On 2/4/2023 at 12:44 PM, retrofade said:

In my D&D group (comprised mostly of friends from high school) we have two guys that served in the Marines. In our last campaign, our party was being stymied by the local law enforcement. Both of them just wanted to off the cops to get what we needed, because they’re cops and nobody would care anyway. 

I know another guy that was an Army K9 MP, and he’s always railing about how much cops suck. 

That's perfect.

https://reason.com/2023/02/08/the-cops-who-killed-tyre-nichols-could-be-convicted-of-murder-and-still-get-qualified-immunity/

In the case of Tyre Nichols, for example, it's quite plausible that the officers who killed him could be convicted of murder and still receive qualified immunity—a testament to how disjointed and unforgiving the doctrine can be.

On 2/8/2023 at 7:53 PM, GoDogs22 said:

Psychopaths and bullies.  The job attracts exactly the type of personality who should never be given a gun and a badge, yet the screening process isn't set up to weed them out but rather weed out those who don't fit the mold and might possibly have enough critical thinking skills to question the thin blue line.  Don't think for one second that these guys couldn't take the next step and start loading people into boxcars.  Hell, considering the number of them that have been busted for neo-nazi tattoos and affiliations, a great many of them apparently are longing for that day to come.  

On 2/9/2023 at 9:01 AM, RebelAlliance said:

Psychopaths and bullies.  The job attracts exactly the type of personality who should never be given a gun and a badge, yet the screening process isn't set up to weed them out but rather weed out those who don't fit the mold and might possibly have enough critical thinking skills to question the thin blue line.  Don't think for one second that these guys couldn't take the next step and start loading people into boxcars.  Hell, considering the number of them that have been busted for neo-nazi tattoos and affiliations, a great many of them apparently are longing for that day to come.  

Is there a source that has such a number? I know that there have been such cases, but your post suggests that it has happened a lot and I'm not sure that's the case. The number should be zero and you would hope that a tattoo would be an easy way to disqualify someone from becoming a police officer, but I'm sure that some group fights against that well. The Brennan Center for Justice suggests that "Obviously, only a tiny percentage of law enforcement officials are likely to be active members of white supremacist groups." in an article a couple years ago, so I'm not sure I agree that the problem is as pervasive as some here suggest. That number should be zero, but given the type of personalities that apply, it's not surprising that that's not the case. It's weird that this has come up in this thread considering the facts of this case, but knowing how the OT board works, it's not particularly surprising. 

On 2/8/2023 at 6:53 PM, GoDogs22 said:

This makes me believe a rumor I saw, not sure if mentioned here, that the victim was dating an ex of one of the cops. It sure seems like it was pre meditated and he was targeted.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:34 AM, tspoke said:

This makes me believe a rumor I saw, not sure if mentioned here, that the victim was dating an ex of one of the cops. It sure seems like it was pre meditated and he was targeted.

They sure beat him like it was personal.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.  I hope they all serve time.  

On 2/9/2023 at 8:34 AM, tspoke said:

So, this isn't racist.

It boils down to a beef over a piece of ass.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor