Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

5 officers charged with murder

On 1/28/2023 at 4:17 PM, RebelAlliance said:

Because cop culture is so racist, toxic and psychopathic that black cops feel the need to not only adapt to it but to turn the dial to 11 to prove themselves to their white cop "brothers."  That young black cop may have gone into it with good intentions, but he quickly learns how he needs to act if he's going to keep that cop salary, cop healthcare and cop pension.  And that's the best of them.  Then there's those attracted to the job because they're simply thugs and bullies in the same way that a lot of their white "brothers" are attracted to the job or due to some internalized, deep seated self-loathing of his own people.  

John Singleton knew what he was talking about when he filmed this in the 80s.

And before that, it was a line in NWA's "+++++ the Police." "Black police showin' out for the white cop." 

They will walk.

Especially if they get a white jury.

Let's face it, the gimp was hobbling away and presented a clear and present danger to the pigs with extra Judicial powers and qualified immunity in their back pockets.

He could have thrown that wheel chair at them. Their lives were in imminent danger 

:facepalm:

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 2/1/2023 at 11:36 AM, GoDogs22 said:

On another forum, this police killing is being celebrated, and apparently the police should have been more brutal in killing a disabled man.

Bark Board?

Would be nice if they had body cams.  I carry a knife on me all the time, so I don't have an issue with him having one, but what was he doing with it is my question.

On 2/1/2023 at 12:36 PM, GoDogs22 said:

On another forum, this police killing is being celebrated, and apparently the police should have been more brutal in killing a disabled man.

White Bread Incel America.

You just have to embrace her with both arms.

Americans Mayor

On 2/1/2023 at 12:42 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

Bark Board?

Would be nice if they had body cams.  I carry a knife on me all the time, so I don't have an issue with him having one, but what was he doing with it is my question.

Protection ?

Cutting rope ?

Any number of things not related to white fear that he would harm someone. But, the threat of him throwing his wheel chair at them. That was the true threat.

Only in America can a white guy openly carry a fully automatic weapon. But, a crippled black dude with a knife ?

Gun him down for the safety of the Community.

White America has an unhealthy fear of non whites. Which only spurs more hatred and violence.

Americans Mayor

On 1/27/2023 at 1:42 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah.

There are LEO's who are good people, protect and serve and go above and beyond, cops who would risk their life for a stranger without a thought.  For sure.  Even if there are not enough of them.  However, and this is just my opinion, it is impossible to be a "good cop" due to how broken the system is in this country.  Until there this broad reform in both applied practice and culture there can not be a good cop.  They are just cops who are good people.  I hope that makes sense.

I don't think this is the case in all communities. I do think the "good systems" are far more exception than rule. I also think even the systems that are "good" have unacceptable flaws. So yeah, maybe "good" is the wrong descriptor. Maybe "aware" is better.

You do find cops that do not follow policies that they know are wrong and you do find unions representing those cops when called on it because the union knew it was wrong. Unfortunately this is sometimes how bad policy gets called out and changed. Good departments are less chain of command as gospel and more open to listening to multiple sides of an issue. 

But yes those departments are rare. And they are not perfect. Will try to find some examples this weekend if I have time.

Bottom line I do not necessarily agree that the flaws of the system make it impossible for good people to be good cops. But they do make it very difficult and rare.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:42 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Bark Board?

Supposedly the LA County Sheriff is now in possession of footage from a nearby security cam that shows the actual shooting and the moments before. It is a different video than what was previously available which was partially obscured at that moment. The family's lawyer is trying to get access to this new video. If it shows the moments before the shooting that would help understand what he was doing.

On 2/3/2023 at 5:26 AM, Spaztecs said:

Protection ?

Cutting rope ?

Any number of things not related to white fear that he would harm someone. But, the threat of him throwing his wheel chair at them. That was the true threat.

Only in America can a white guy openly carry a fully automatic weapon. But, a crippled black dude with a knife ?

Gun him down for the safety of the Community.

White America has an unhealthy fear of non whites. Which only spurs more hatred and violence.

My question isn't why he had it, it was what was he doing with it physically at that moment.  Like I said, I usually have a knife, for protection and utility.  I shouldn't be killed for simply having it on me.

On 1/29/2023 at 2:26 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The thin blue line flag is a +++++ing insult to our vets.  

While true, cops target vets for recruitment. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that the original design came from a vet. 

I would have to look at the stats, but I would bet since 911, the majority of police are vets. Maybe a slim majority?

On 2/3/2023 at 9:59 AM, SharkTanked said:

While true, cops target vets for recruitment. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that the original design came from a vet. 

I would have to look at the stats, but I would bet since 911, the majority of police are vets. Maybe a slim majority?

19 percent

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2018/10/15/police-with-military-experience-more-likely-to-shoot#:~:text=Though 6 percent of the,data performed by Gregory B.

On 2/3/2023 at 12:05 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

On 2/3/2023 at 12:06 PM, SharkTanked said:

Ah I'm pretty shocked it isn't higher than that. Thanks.

in my experience, unless they were MPs, vets often do not... love... the police. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 2/3/2023 at 8:59 AM, SharkTanked said:

A few studies put it between 18-25% of police have a military background.   I would venture a healthy percentage of those were either reservists or National Guard, so not the everyday militarymen.  And I don't recall a single nationally broadcasted case of a police officer that was former active duty military killing a civilian.  I may be wrong there, but it seems this isn't an issue of the military and its training leading to brutality, it may be the opposite, in fact.  I know that my response in heightened scenarios is better and less reactionary because of my time in service, plus I developed a love of my fellow Americans, warts and all, because of my service.

Fair enough on the vet front. I know a whole lot in my Dept., so maybe ours is an outlier. I also think ours tends to be better than avg. so that could support ECA's point.

I'd like to explore another related idea...

True or False, police are more scrutinized today than at any point in American history? Might make a good poll topic.

On 2/3/2023 at 10:08 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

A few studies put it between 18-25% of police have a military background.   I would venture a healthy percentage of those were either reservists or National Guard, so not the everyday militarymen.  And I don't recall a single nationally broadcasted case of a police officer that was former active duty military killing a civilian.  I may be wrong there, but it seems this isn't an issue of the military and its training leading to brutality, it may be the opposite, in fact.  I know that my response in heightened scenarios is better and less reactionary because of my time in service, plus I developed a love of my fellow Americans, warts and all, because of my service.

Nope, police with military background are more likely to shoot and be "problem" cops.  

https://academicworks.cuny.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5017&context=gc_etds

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2018/10/15/police-with-military-experience-more-likely-to-shoot

On 2/3/2023 at 9:14 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

First link didn't load, what was the summary.  Second one certainly refutes my point, but is a small sample but a noted margin.  So, so far you have produced more likely to shoot, not sure on the "problem cops" (as parsed) yet, but I assume the first link addressed that?