Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

5 officers charged with murder

5 police officers have been charged.  All of them have been fired.  I really hope the protests don't take a nasty turn.  The video is going to be released tomorrow.  Yikes.

"Each former officer is charged with second-degree murder, aggravated assault, two charges of aggravated kidnapping, two charges of official misconduct and one charge of official oppression for their alleged roles in the death of Tyre Nichols."

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/tyre-nichols-memphis-news-1-26-23/index.html

https://www.foxnews.com/us/tyre-nichols-case-5-former-memphis-police-officers-charged-second-degree-murder

On 1/26/2023 at 3:02 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

If a cop gets fired that fast, almost a guarantee it is very bad.  At least they did fire them though.  And releasing the video is the appropriate thing to do.  Still might not be enough to not warrant a BOGO on plywood.

I was thinking about the Memphis police releasing that video. If the cops have been  charged and arrested, do you think it's a good idea? Why not save it for the trial. Release it after the cops are in prison. It might simmer things down. I don't know. The police chief made it sound bad. 

On 1/26/2023 at 2:14 PM, AztecAlien said:

I was thinking about the Memphis police releasing that video. If the cops have been  charged and arrested, do you think it's a good idea? Why not save it for the trial. Release it after the cops are in prison. It might simmer things down. I don't know. The police chief made it sound bad. 

Transparency being the primary reason.  Holding info or videos won't simmer things down, it will just reopen a scab.  And it has to be bad, if you can fire bureaucrats with more protection both by policy and in practice, than any other in government in this fast of a manner.  Usually a death gives them a paid vacation, so this appears to be undeniable.

On 1/27/2023 at 5:15 AM, RamSack said:

The most surprising thing to me about this case is that it wasn’t 5 white cops. 

Dude, if you’ve looked at past incidents around the country, plenty of times it’s been a combination of black and white officers involved. Just by simple %’s, I’m surprised there’s not at least one white cop. In the inner-city, blacks are mostly killed by other blacks. 

kat.jpg

On 1/26/2023 at 2:14 PM, alum93 said:

Well at least locally in Memphis, if the video is as bad as police chief described, emotions are going to be running sky high.  

It’s being described as a Rodney King type of beating. Since the cops are being charged with murder and they’re black, it’s not going to explode. There will always be some violence because thugs look for any excuse to do that. 

kat.jpg

On 1/27/2023 at 6:22 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Dude, if you’ve looked at past incidents around the country, plenty of times it’s been a combination of black and white officers involved. Just by simple %’s, I’m surprised there’s not at least one white cop. In the inner-city, blacks are mostly killed by other blacks. 

When I first heard of the case and that it was in Tennessee, my initial reaction was that it was racially motivated. And then I saw pictures of those involved and was surprised that none were white. To your point, it wouldn’t have surprised me if it was 3 white and 2 black officers or some other combination. I don’t remember another case like this where all parties were black. 

On 1/27/2023 at 6:26 AM, Nevada Convert said:

It’s being described as a Rodney King type of beating. Since the cops are being charged with murder and they’re black, it’s not going to explode. There will always be some violence because thugs look for any excuse to do that. 

Exactly. The introspection from this incident should be different than it was from 5 white guys beating an unarmed black man. What were the 5 officers thinking and how do we ensure this doesn’t happen again?

I know the only reason the Thin Blue Line Defenders have been quiet is because this is a black on black deal.

If it had been one white cop, we would be hearing about how the vic was a pos wife beater and drug addict.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/27/2023 at 7:38 AM, Spaztecs said:

I know the only reason the Thin Blue Line Defenders have been quiet is because this is a black on black deal.

If it had been one white cop, we would be hearing about how the vic was a pos wife beater and drug addict.

I have been seeing folks giddy on the potential riots.  And the blue line folks have brought up two different scenarios and their conclusions:

- Riot happens = it is not about justice, and blacks can't be civilized

- Riot doesn't happen = Black lives only matter when whites kill them

One thing that I am going conspiracy brain on is stemming from some of the never-explained things in the very initial stage of the Minneapolis riots (Umbrella man being a known white nationalist but never even being detained, the pallets of bricks, cops forcing nearby stores to not selll water or food to protestors and slashing tires, the marked cars pepper spraying protesters on the sidewalk and unmarked firing rubber rounds out of vans).  And that is that the police in Memphis and "their friends" really don't want to even attempt to defend this.  Now, if that is race-based or what, I don't know.  But I really hope everyone has the cameras rolling, private citizen documentation has become critical to tell the story of what happens.

My hope is nothing happens and hopefully Memphis police have already started discussions with local stakeholders to open the dialogue and keep the community from feeling unheard, which of course leads to these critical mass events that criminals and agitators just love to use for their own motives.  And hopefully Memphis continues to enforce law.  Protestors should be protected, criminals should be jailed.  Try to start a riot, have a seat in front of the judge.

On 1/27/2023 at 6:33 AM, RamSack said:

When I first heard of the case and that it was in Tennessee, my initial reaction was that it was racially motivated. And then I saw pictures of those involved and was surprised that none were white. To your point, it wouldn’t have surprised me if it was 3 white and 2 black officers or some other combination. I don’t remember another case like this where all parties were black. 

Black cops being particularly violent towards black men is a thing.

No such thing as a good cop.  Including the black ones.

Sometimes (a lot of times), pig violence is racially based. Other times, it's just simply psychopathic because that job is literally a magnet for the people psychologically least suited to it while screening out (ceilings on IQ scores for example) those with any intelligence or empathy. There's also the sick dynamic where black pigs feel the need to be even bigger thugs in black communities than their white buddies in order to try and fit in with pig culture. 

On 1/27/2023 at 8:44 AM, GoDogs22 said:

Someone remind me again why wanting to reform the police is a bad thing?

Can't

Upset

The 

Apple

Cart

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/27/2023 at 8:55 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Black cops being particularly violent towards black men is a thing.

No such thing as a good cop.  Including the black ones.

There are good cops, that’s absurd. And that’s coming from a guy that’s not too thrilled with cops, in general. There are lots of asshole cops, for sure. 

kat.jpg

On 1/27/2023 at 8:31 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Cops are cops.  If one is a bad cop, they are a bad cop, if one is a good cop, they are a good cop.  Police going overboard knows no race, sex, or ethnicity.

A point gets missed over and over with where this aggressive culture comes from regarding traffic stops. Police chiefs are under pressure to solves crimes and keep crime down. In urban areas with gangs, crime is almost impossible to solve because people are afraid to be witnesses or provide info. because of the consequences from the gangs.

So how can police convict anyone? Traffic stops. They find the guns, drugs, etc. and they arrest them. Then they get info. from people they release as informants, etc. Traffic stops are a big foot in the door to solve crimes. The aggressive nature goes too far, and they become the thugs they commonly deal with day to day. 

kat.jpg