Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SAMO

is this really a tragedy???…lol

On 1/27/2023 at 1:59 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Sun Valley?  That's fine but still nope for me.  Try flying into grandfathered strips in the Frank Church on a ranch!  NOOOOPE.  Never again.

My knuckles are sore thinking about grabbing the person next to me 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

On 1/27/2023 at 6:19 PM, just_chris said:

My knuckles are sore thinking about grabbing the person next to me 

My asshole is puckered thinking about it…lol

i flew into teterboro a few times which scared the shit out of me…lol

landing in some remote gravel strip somewhere in the northwest in a twin otter or something would probably give my fat ass a coronary…lol

On 1/27/2023 at 6:24 PM, SAMO said:

landing in some remote gravel strip somewhere in the northwest in a twin otter or something would probably give my fat ass a coronary…lol

Teterboro .... my goodness that's a disaster waiting to happen. Worst I ever flew in to was Telluride... what an absolute nightmare. 

I once flew from Osaka to Manila through a super typhoon. I thought for sure we were crashing in to the Philippine Sea. I was so terrified I literally nearly pissed myself. Decided I'd risk the bathroom run but man it was close. It was so bad I couldn't even have some of those hot Pinay FA's bring me some of that free booze because of the turbulence. 3 1/2 hours of terror 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

On 1/27/2023 at 7:24 PM, SAMO said:

I've been close to death a few times.  My last flight into the Frank Church terrified me.  More than anything I have ever done or experienced.  I thought we were going to die.  The wind was too strong to land for about 3 hours...every time we tried we almost got blown into the side of the mountain but we could not go back.  Just nope.  Never again.  Nope nope nope nope.  Our pilot, my navy pilot cousin, said he had never been more nervous on a flight in his life.  Just nope.  

On 1/27/2023 at 9:03 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I've been close to death a few times.  My last flight into the Frank Church terrified me.  More than anything I have ever done or experienced.  I thought we were going to die.  The wind was too strong to land for about 3 hours...every time we tried we almost got blown into the side of the mountain but we could not go back.  Just nope.  Never again.  Nope nope nope nope.  Our pilot, my navy pilot cousin, said he had never been more nervous on a flight in his life.  Just nope.  

this surprises me, considering what a back country camper you are

Low and Slow is the greatest way to fly!

Watch some STOL (short take off and landing) videos...amazing

On 1/28/2023 at 10:18 AM, renoskier said:

this surprises me, considering what a back country camper you are

Low and Slow is the greatest way to fly!

Watch some STOL (short take off and landing) videos...amazing

It's the wind in those canyons man huge gusts come out of nowhere...there have been a shit ton of crashes in the central Idaho area.  

On 1/27/2023 at 10:03 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I’ve done a fair amount of business related charter flying in small planes. Had some very scary experiences like you. The good news for my wife anyway is our company took out a substantial insurance policy on all employees flying on business. That occurred after our corporate lawyer came up to Boise from LA and we took a Cessna charter flight up to Sandpoint. He was scared shitless and wouldn’t take the return flight. He asked our client to drive him to Spokane and he took a commercial jet back to LA. Lol

On 1/30/2023 at 7:02 PM, soupslam1 said:

I’ve done a fair amount of business related charter flying in small planes. Had some very scary experiences like you. The good news for my wife anyway is our company took out a substantial insurance policy on all employees flying on business. That occurred after our corporate lawyer came up to Boise from LA and we took a Cessna charter flight up to Sandpoint. He was scared shitless and wouldn’t take the return flight. He asked our client to drive him to Spokane and he took a commercial jet back to LA. Lol

Yep.  The scary thing about those mountain planes in is just how they move in weather.  The deep Salmon river canyons can have gust out of nowhere hit 60 mph.  Just...out of nowhere.  That is what happened with us.  And the gusts are funny too, they swirl and they don't come from the same direction.  

Yeah no....I'll start at the trail head and walk the extra 20 miles thank you kindly very much.