Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

SDSU hosts USU tonight if anyone cares to chat or look in on the game

On 1/26/2023 at 8:08 AM, renoskier said:

that's crazy...only 19th!

Most mid majors and lower level Schools don't have early exit players. They have loads of Juniors and Seniors on the roster.

Dutch also has a history of bringing in a lot of Grad Transfers.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/25/2023 at 10:10 PM, KingBronco said:

Man, USU has been getting hammered by the top half of the MWC this year. They've kind of gotten screwed having to play BSU, Nevada and SDSU on the road already...but they have been getting boat raced in all those games.

But one of their skips is @NM. So it is 1/26 and they are done with "tough" road games. Still have BSU/Nevada/SDSU/NM at home so plenty of chances. Granted NCAAT at large wise they probably have to go 3-1 in those games to make up for their two quad 4 loses so that will be tough.  

On 1/26/2023 at 7:43 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

Nearly halfway through the conference portion of the schedule and the Aztecs are the top rated offense and 5th rated defense in conference games by Kenpom.com. Definitely not the Aztecs we are used to seeing.

I attribute that to Bradley and Trammel who they need for ball handling and offense but neither are the best of defenders. However, if Dutcher pulls them they go stagnant on offense.

Seiko is a good replacement for Trammel, but they don’t have a guy that can create his own shot as well as Bradley. Maybe Butler, but he’s already a fixture in the lineup. 

With both those guys leaving next year I think we’ll see SDSU recruit replacements that are better defenders which has been their MO in the past. The guy that will be tough to replace will be Mensah. He keys their inside defense. If they don’t replace him with someone similar or better their defense is going to suffer. 

Good game Aztecs. I was disappointed in the 1st half effort from the Aggies but I think they got discouraged by watching Seiko go off. It wasn't just him either, I don't think I have ever seen a SDSU team shoot 55% from 3 in a game with that kind of volume. Parrish hit 50% from 3 and had one to beat the shot clock late. Butler was also perfect from 3. Between the great shooting from outside and the normal physical play you get when you face SDSU, it was a tall order on the road.

I was proud to see USU cut it to 6 late in the game but it proved to be too little too late. LeDee and Johnson were the two guys I was most worried about going into the game because we don't match up with them very well. It turned out that I should have been worried about not having another PG too. Since starting PG Jones has gone down, Ashworth has been forced to take over the PG duties and you can tell he is spent by the end of the game and can't focus on spotting up and scoring/shooting like he would like to. I'm not convinced that Jones will play again so we're just going to have to make it work somehow with what we have.

I also shudder to think where we would be if we did not pick up Funk and Akin in the off-season. Both have proven to be very valuable pieces.

On 1/26/2023 at 9:35 AM, soupslam1 said:

I attribute that to Bradley and Trammel who they need for ball handling and offense but neither are the best of defenders. However, if Dutcher pulls them they go stagnant on offense.

Seiko is a good replacement for Trammel, but they don’t have a guy that can create his own shot as well as Bradley. Maybe Butler, but he’s already a fixture in the lineup. 

With both those guys leaving next year I think we’ll see SDSU recruit replacements that are better defenders which has been their MO in the past. The guy that will be tough to replace will be Mensah. He keys their inside defense. If they don’t replace him with someone similar or better their defense is going to suffer. 

Don't know why we haven't managed to find DeMarshay Johnson some minutes this year.  He'll be Nate's replacement next year unless we bring someone else in.  We'll still have LeDee, Johnson and freshman Elijah Saunders who has played sparingly.

Here's our Fwd recruit for '23

https://www.desertsun.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2022/12/28/miles-heide-stands-out-in-a-tournament-bursting-with-talent/69760490007/ 

We still have Butler at PG next year who continues to improve his game and Miles Byrd, a 6'7" PG, a freshman currently not getting any PT. 

Here's a PG recruit for '23.

https://247sports.com/player/bj-davis-46129824/

We've still got some players and some open scholarships for next year

We need wings.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 1/26/2023 at 8:39 AM, thedude15 said:

But one of their skips is @NM. So it is 1/26 and they are done with "tough" road games. Still have BSU/Nevada/SDSU/NM at home so plenty of chances. Granted NCAAT at large wise they probably have to go 3-1 in those games to make up for their two quad 4 loses so that will be tough.  

Not only the two quad 4 losses, but USU is the only one of the top 5 without a Quad 1 win. Currently 0-3 in Q1 games with 3 remaining as of now. 

It's an arbitrary goal, but having as many teams as possible finish in the top 30 will be huge. As those home games then count as Quad 1. UNM, USU, and Nevada in particular are currently right on the bubble of that mark.