Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Fresno/Boise State game thread

On 1/24/2023 at 9:20 PM, kingpotato said:

That's exactly what you get out of Boise. Starter points 16, 13, 13, 11, 10. Rebounds 6, 6, 5, 4, 4. Bench zero.

To be fair, the bench barely played outside of Milner. The decision to play Milner and not play Sylla at all in certain (many) games must be matchup based, but I don't understand it. Need to develop one more big and it clearly ain't gonna be Nganga, so...

As for everyone else, Kobe has earned playing time and so has Jace, but no one else has. 

On 1/24/2023 at 10:33 PM, soupslam1 said:

Rice is either unconscious or plays like crap. Good thing he can hit the three or he wouldn’t be playing. 

Nah, he's been pretty consistent all year. This was his worst game of the season (because of all the turnovers) and he still had 13. Give Fresno D credit for taking him out of his game and forcing mistakes.

Agbo is the player who is the most hit or miss IMO.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:31 PM, soupslam1 said:

What’s the consensus Dog fans? Will Hutson be back next year? 

It's hard to tell but I can see it being his last. The fanbase is getting restless. Everyone thought this was his last year on his contract, but it sounds like there is an additional year added since he received a postseason coaching award from year 1. Does Fresno State fork out the money to buyout his last year($500k)? It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds. I will say he has been dealt with a very unlucky hand of injuries this season. Great defensive coach, but we have no pure shooter on this team and the offensive scheme is horrendous. Sucks because if we even had a decent offense, this would be at least an NIT team. We have talent on the team, it just doesn't appear that it is being utilized effectively and the injury bug has hit us hard this year. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

On 1/24/2023 at 10:37 PM, Spot50B said:

Nah, he's been pretty consistent all year. This was his worst game of the season (because of all the turnovers) and he still had 13. Give Fresno D credit for taking him out of his game and forcing mistakes.

Agbo is the player who is the most hit or miss IMO.

Agbo has scored in double figures in all but one conference game. How is that hit or miss? He was definitely inconsistent in the OOC, but you could make a decent argument he's been as consistent as anyone on the team in MWC games.

Agbo is like most transfers;  it takes a while to get it rolling if ever.    I bet he's the man next season but for now he is a major contributor on both sides of the floor.  His jumper is so pure and it's unblockable almost.  And his D is really good.

On 1/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, roughrider said:

Agbo is like most transfers;  it takes a while to get it rolling if ever.    I bet he's the man next season but for now he is a major contributor on both sides of the floor.  His jumper is so pure and it's unblockable almost.  And his D is really good.

Right now he needs to work at being more of a scorer. He does have a great jump shot and it seems to be unlockable. What does he have, like, five 4 point opportunities this year? With that quick high release, pump fakes would really open up drives to the basket.

On 1/25/2023 at 2:45 PM, kingpotato said:

Right now he needs to work at being more of a scorer. He does have a great jump shot and it seems to be unlockable. What does he have, like, five 4 point opportunities this year? With that quick high release, pump fakes would really open up drives to the basket.

Yeah, I think the thing missing right now in Agbo's game is his ability to attack the basket consistently off the dribble. If he can become a bigger threat penetrating off pump fakes and going to the rim he'll become very difficult to guard.

On 1/25/2023 at 1:21 PM, KingBronco said:

Agbo has scored in double figures in all but one conference game. How is that hit or miss? He was definitely inconsistent in the OOC, but you could make a decent argument he's been as consistent as anyone on the team in MWC games.

Yep, I was primarily talking about the OOC. It is more than 50% of all games played, so it can't be discounted. It will matter in post season play.

All the starters play a lot and average within a couple points than each other. I think he is more inconsistent than Rice over the entirety of the season. You may see it differently.