Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

People you Admire, but probably shouldn't.

For me it has always been a few Confederate Leaders who despite being pro Slavery, were excellent Leaders.

However, this guy was quite the Populist. I was watching a documentary on the Whiskey Rebellion, and a Georgia Congressman and pro Slaver, John Jackson, was opposed to the Whiskey Tax on the grounds that, "Everyone has a right to get drunk.". And, instead, proposed a Tax on Lawyers.

Even Racists have their good points.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

It would seem he was an inspiration for the Donald as well.

Defeated for re-election in 1791 by his former Revolutionary commander, Anthony Wayne (for whom Wayne County is named), in a campaign rife with charges of irregularities on the part of Wayne's supporters, Jackson contested the outcome. He was convinced that Wayne had not won his seat fairly so he mounted a campaign against Wayne and his supporters, and finally succeeded in removing Wayne from Congress. Making effective use of grand jury presentments and newspapers, Jackson secured a seat in the legislature and subsequently oversaw the ouster of Wayne's campaign manager from his state judgeship. Jackson then took his struggle for vindication to Congress, where he convinced the House that Wayne had not won fairly. He failed to regain his seat after the tie-breaking vote of the Federalist Speaker.[20]

Americans Mayor

On 1/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, Spaztecs said:

For me it has always been a few Confederate Leaders who despite being pro Slavery, were excellent Leaders.

However, this guy was quite the Populist. I was watching a documentary on the Whiskey Rebellion, and a Georgia Congressman and pro Slaver, John Jackson, was opposed to the Whiskey Tax on the grounds that, "Everyone has a right to get drunk.". And, instead, proposed a Tax on Lawyers.

Jackson’s quote is funny. But I hope the Whiskey doc pointed out whiskey was a form of currency in the hinterlands. Corn would rot unless turned into whiskey which would maintain its value longer. They were taxing the poor.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Goddard, Kansas, Councilman and former Mayor, stages a Putsch to get his old job back.

23 year old, Hunter Larkin, who had stepped down from his Mayoral job due to a DUI, has his replacement and the City Manager ousted over similiar issues, and gets himself reinstated as Mayor.

Who says Gen X won't amount to anything ?

Americans Mayor

On 1/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, Spaztecs said:

No worries, I don’t admire you. 
image.png.277dbd8078e7b60a4bd32fedb97ed35b.png

kat.jpg

Bob.

He's like the Chuck Wepner of message boards.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:39 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Zelensky.

sometimes it is important to believe in the image more than the reality of transcendent leaders. I believe Zelensky to be a generational transcendent leader. That doesn't mean he is perfect... just that he is really good at it...

I admire Zelensky greatly. And I don't see why I shouldn't. I've admired much worse US leaders.

On 2/9/2023 at 11:13 PM, SharkTanked said:

sometimes it is important to believe in the image more than the reality of transcendent leaders. I believe Zelensky to be a generational transcendent leader. That doesn't mean he is perfect... just that he is really good at it...

I admire Zelensky greatly. And I don't see why I shouldn't. I've admired much worse US leaders.

Zelenksy has journalists in prisons as well as debtors.  If you owe Z or one of "his" oligarchs money, you go to prison.  You know how you get investigated for corruption in Ukraine?  Piss of Zelensky.  You know how you get away with corruption in Ukraine?  Be on his good side.

No, you have not admired much worse here in the US.

Zelenksy is a phenomenal war time leader.  He is also kind of a piece of shit human.  Let me know when he let's his political enemies out of prison for the crime of pissing him off.

On 2/10/2023 at 5:20 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Zelenksy has journalists in prisons as well as debtors.  If you owe Z or one of "his" oligarchs money, you go to prison.  You know how you get investigated for corruption in Ukraine?  Piss of Zelensky.  You know how you get away with corruption in Ukraine?  Be on his good side.

No, you have not admired much worse here in the US.

Zelenksy is a phenomenal war time leader.  He is also kind of a piece of shit human.  Let me know when he let's his political enemies out of prison for the crime of pissing him off.

Fair. Didn't remember the extent of his sins. 

Woodrow Wilson fits into the category for me. Both the first modern global President who saw America as a superpower before most Americans did, and an overtly racist POS. I think the last President to basically segregate the Federal Government? Maybe?

Zelenskyy's story has yet to be fully written.  I'd hold off on hero worship and/or casting him into hell.

Ukraine, as with other very young and former Soviet nation states, has been a bed of entrenched corruption.  It probably suffered the most in the post-Soviet "Wild West" transitions toward the goals of capitalism/democracy.  Ukraine is unique in size, resources, and its historical, cultural, and moreover political interconnections with its Russian invader.  Try naming w/o Google  all leaders of Ukraine, and their Russian or EU tilts, of the past 30 years.  Lots of luck in your senior year on that.  Its scope of entrenched corruption has long been reported.  Back to when Zelenskyy was is short pants.   

The recent anti-corruption shake up at the higher levels is an indication of progress. No, it isn't happening just because it somehow got reported which in itself would be proof of a more open society.  I'd give Ukraine time especially during war, and I would not attribute all reforms to Zelenskyy nor blame him for lack of progress. 

"When the 27-nation bloc accepted Ukraine's candidacy to join in June 2022, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen praised the country's recent reforms.

"A lot has been achieved, but, of course, important work remains," said von der Leyen."

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/27/1151326940/ukraine-anti-corruption-efforts

Zelenskyy has emerged as an important world figure for both his leadership and the very situation in which he was placed by Putin's war against his nation.  It's hard to not admire the brave, young fearless leader who wanted weapons not an escape route when the invasion began.  But, tens of thousands of in local and regional positions did the same.  You can only have so many revered symbols at a time, but I could see a Vitaly Klitschko or many others doing the same things and having the same admiration as Zelenskyy.  

I'll let the history books clash in due time. 

On 2/10/2023 at 8:21 AM, SharkTanked said:

Fair. Didn't remember the extent of his sins. 

Woodrow Wilson fits into the category for me. Both the first modern global President who saw America as a superpower before most Americans did, and an overtly racist POS. I think the last President to basically segregate the Federal Government? Maybe?

He re-segregated the government when it had been de-segregated for 50 years. Wilson was a POS.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 2/10/2023 at 11:35 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

He re-segregated the government when it had been de-segregated for 50 years. Wilson was a POS.

He also believed Birth of a Nation was the Greatest Film ever made.

I've never been quite sure if he meant that Politically or Technically as the highest form of Film Making.

Americans Mayor

Herbert Hoover.

Great Public Servant until the Depression came along.

Americans Mayor

On 1/26/2023 at 4:39 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Zelensky.

On 2/10/2023 at 1:13 AM, SharkTanked said:

Cringe

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 2/10/2023 at 10:35 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes a complete POS and maybe the greatest geopolitical mind of the 20th century. I am selective about what I admire about him.