Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

TODAY IN MWC HOOPS 1/24/23 - WHO YA GOT?

Well I got killed on Saturday and am now something like 14-19 on the season. 

First off, kudos to both UNM and Nevada for that game last night. I love old school barnburners with shooters and scoring. One of the best things about watching MWC basketball vs some of the bigger conferences is that our teams actually have guys who can shoot the basketball. Our players may not be the biggest or most athletic but I’d rather watch ball movement and quality shooting over iso dribbling. 

Now todays games:

Fresno has suddenly found their offensive mojo but tonight they’re up against the leagues best defensive team. I’m gonna take Boise -12 but I’m a bit nervous about that because I think Leon will try to use this game to play his bench a bit more than usual to save the wear and tear on his starters. And of course I’m taking the bonus Under whenever Fresno plays.

Raise your hand if you had WYO and UNLV as the conference bottom feeders nearly halfway through the season.  LIAR!  I’ll take UNLV and lay the points tonight. UNLVs biggest defensive issue is defending the 3-point line and WYO has been very inconsistent from there.

Air Force is on a bit of a roll even though they lost their last one to SDSU. Sparty at home in front of their 300 faithful. (Get it - 300 Spartans.) The home team will defend like crazy but in the end succumb to the superior air attack of spears and arrows. I’ll take Air Force and the 3.5

On 1/24/2023 at 8:06 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

First off, kudos to both UNM and Nevada for that game last night. I love old school barnburners with shooters and scoring. One of the best things about watching MWC basketball vs some of the bigger conferences is that our teams actually have guys who can shoot the basketball. Our players may not be the biggest or most athletic but I’d rather watch ball movement and quality shooting over iso dribbling. 

I used to think this way.  Now I watch what perimeter ball movement has done to Wyoming. Give me this:

https://youtu.be/-Eyv6RVQxbU

semi GIF 

Air Force Men at San Jose State for the First of Two on the Road

Read more at https://ricksfalconreview.blogspot.com

Time for an exciting matchup of two 3-4 teams with Air Force (12-8/3-4) at San Jose State University (SJSU also 12-8/3-4).  Both these teams are just out of the top 5 tied for 6th place in the MWC.  That is significant as the top 5 teams get a first round bye in the post-season MWC tournament.  

This matchup puts two newer coach's (AF's Scott and 2nd year coach Miles for SJSU) and two up and coming teams against one another. Coach Miles has done a great job as has Coach Joe Scott at AF. Note there is a difference between these two team in their makeup.  SJSU/Miles has done it this year with #3, 4, 5, 6 and 7th scorers all transfers.  AF/Scott has no transfers and the team is comprised of 2 seniors (neither starting and they average 8 and 6.6ppg off the bench) and 17 freshmen and sophomores. BOTH teams are doing well and on paper should be an interesting matchup this week with AF at SJSU.  SJSU will be coming in after the Spartan's great game at USU losing by one on the road and AF off the SDSU loss, a five point game with 50 seconds left on the clock (sheesh and SDSU made 22-23 FT's in the game as compared to AF 4-10).

The matchup pits a starting five for SJSU comprised of 2 seniors, 2 juniors and 1 sophomore versus a young AF team that will most likely be starting 3 sophomores and 2 freshmen.  SJSU has an overall slight height advantage man-to-man but does have 7'0" Diallo in the middle currently averaging 18mpg/6.6ppg/5.5rpg. He is not their leading rebounder it is Tolber 6'8"/210# 7.6rpg, Omari Moore is their leading scorer and Gorener (6'9" Fwd) was 6-9 3pts made versus USU. 

Key for the Falcons will be to limit the big in the lane, take care of the ball (on 6 TO's last game vs 40mins of full court pressure from SDSU), hit from the FT line AND at least match if not better SJSU from the 3-point arc.  Will be interesting to see if SJSU will try zone tonight forcing the Falcons out of the lane.  To be successful AF must take the initiative to get into the lane going inside-out early before relying on heaving up 3's. 

Big game big reward from two growing teams. 

GO FALCONS

AF%20SJSU%20JAN%2024%2023.PNG

..GO FALCONS..

I'm a little worried about exploding heads should The Rubbles lose again.  ph already murdered his bunny.  I fear what comes next.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Half Time - San Jose State 46 Air Force 31. :cheer: SJSU shot 68% from the field. Go Spartans! 

Omari Moore had a season high 26 points for San Jose State. :cheer: Good game Falcons. *Kudos to Coastie. 

It's completely unfair these thin air high altitude Schools have to come down to sea level and play in such heavy and damp air.

It's hard on these kids.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/24/2023 at 8:44 PM, crixus said:

Half Time - San Jose State 46 Air Force 31. :cheer: SJSU shot 68% from the field. Go Spartans! 

The dude hoisting that 3-point shot looks like he has to put his whole body behind taking that shot.  Does he always shoot like that?