fbpack

MWC tie breaker

On 1/23/2023 at 10:27 PM, fbpack said:

I know there is a lot of ball to be played , but the log jam at the top is real. I forget how is the tie breaker decided if multiple teams finish conference play tied to decided regular season champs?

We aren’t even halfway through the conference season, man! 

All teams tied for first would be recognized as regular season champs. Tie breakers come into play for seeding. The first one would be head-to-head. After that, I think it is record against the next best team in the standings, but I could be wrong. 

• Like 3

On 1/24/2023 at 12:27 AM, fbpack said:

I know there is a lot of ball to be played , but the log jam at the top is real. I forget how is the tie breaker decided if multiple teams finish conference play tied to decided regular season champs?

Newest Sweet 16 banner wins! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A reasonable goal for the MWC at this point in time is to get one of our teams to the Sweet 16.

Question: In order to maximize the chances of that occurring, which would be preferable? (1) To get 4-5 teams in so as to increase the chances that one team will get a good draw and get hot or (2) To have two from among SDSU, Boise, Nevada, USU and UNM crash and burn so badly over the rest of the season that they would be unable to defeat any of the other three which would therefore draw a better seed?

On 1/25/2023 at 2:31 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

A reasonable goal for the MWC at this point in time is to get one of our teams to the Sweet 16.

Question: In order to maximize the chances of that occurring, which would be preferable? (1) To get 4-5 teams in so as to increase the chances that one team will get a good draw and get hot or (2) To have two from among SDSU, Boise, Nevada, USU and UNM crash and burn so badly over the rest of the season that they would be unable to defeat any of the other three which would therefore draw a better seed?

I am in the more bites at the apple mode.

Guessing even if we have a couple of teams separate the best we will do seed wise is 7-9 which isn't great for a "run". 

Ideal world would be 4 teams breaking off (ie no loses other than to self and basically going .500 vs each other) and then a 5th team winning the MWT. That would get us 4-5 teams in the NCAAT.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 1:31 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Honestly, after the last few tournaments I just hope we can get a win or two. Obviously sweet 16 or anything better would be great, but four first round losses again would be pretty devastating. 

7-9 seeds give the best shot at getting to the second round, but little chance of going beyond that. And really, it seems like 11 and 12 seeds upset the higher seeds so often that it might be be preferable to the 7-9. So I'll take the latter option, getting four teams in and hoping a couple can make a run. If anything it looks worse for us as a conference to have our 5 and 6 seeds constantly lose to lower seeded teams. At least as the lower seeds we're expected to lose.

College basketball does seem to have a lot more parity than normal this year. It seems that the top 5 changes week to week, and there aren't any unbeatable looking teams.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 5:34 PM, bigd said:

Honestly, after the last few tournaments I just hope we can get a win or two. Obviously sweet 16 or anything better would be great, but four first round losses again would be pretty devastating. 

7-9 seeds give the best shot at getting to the second round, but little chance of going beyond that. And really, it seems like 11 and 12 seeds upset the higher seeds so often that it might be be preferable to the 7-9. So I'll take the latter option, getting four teams in and hoping a couple can make a run. If anything it looks worse for us as a conference to have our 5 and 6 seeds constantly lose to lower seeded teams. At least as the lower seeds we're expected to lose.

College basketball does seem to have a lot more parity than normal this year. It seems that the top 5 changes week to week, and there aren't any unbeatable looking teams.

A lot of hoops left to be played, but based on his 10K simulations, Torvik has us and UNM as 6-seeds, Boise as an 8-seed, and you guys as an 11-seed.

USU's in the field, but it's the field outside the venue in which they're playing March basketball. :ph34r:

Also has UNLV as one of the first 4 out. No wait... correction... that's first FORTY out.